Which exhaust system

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrhappy

Reaction score
I currently have Two Brothers CF slip ons, and due to a minor traffic altercation, have the opportunity to change exhaust systems at AAA's expense. I like the sound of the Two Brothers, but don't like having a cat in the stock header. I also prefer the look of a single exhaust. With that in mind, the Muzzy full system appeals to me until I read all of the tales of scraping pipes around right-handers. The Dale Walker system looks good and gets good reviews, but the $$$$ for this system seem a little much.

Has Muzzy addressed the scraping issues? Are there any full systems besides these two? Has anyone tried the Leo Vince cans?

Any other information regarding personal experience with any after market exhaust is of interest to me.

Thanks

Eman.

1.) You cold always have someone cut the top out of the cat collector and remove the offending parts, then reweld the top of the collector. It's been done before and reported here. I doubt it would give you much more power, but it should eliminate the heat generated there and let you retain the OEM appearance.

2.) Buy shorter links (WildHair Accessories) and raise the back of the bike 1". That should keep the Muzzy mid-pipe from scraping when riding aggressively at a spirited pace.

Last edited by a moderator:
1.) You cold always have someone cut the top out of the cat collector and remove the offending parts, then reweld the top of the collector. It's been done before and reported here. I doubt it would give you much more power, but it should eliminate the heat generated there and let you retain the OEM appearance.
2.) Buy shorter links (WildHair Accessories) and raise the back of the bike 1". That should keep the Muzzy mid-pipe from scraping when riding aggressively at a spirited pace.
Thanks for your suggestions. I had not considered either of those approaches. It seems that if Muzzy really wanted to, they could make the header work. It makes me wonder just how much "engineering" went into the design, or did they just whip up something to sell. :glare:

Thanks for your suggestions. I had not considered either of those approaches. It seems that if Muzzy really wanted to, they could make the header work. It makes me wonder just how much "engineering" went into the design, or did they just whip up something to sell. :glare:
More likely the lack of space for the mid-pipe to cross under the frame from the collector to the muffler.

They "could" change the shape of that section to something more oval and pick up some ground clearance. At safe speeds it shouldn't be that much of an issue....but where's the fun in that? :rolleyes:

I've got the Holeshot full system and I love it. No clearance issues, no cats(heat reduction), more horses under the tank, and it sounds awesome. It might be a bit pricey but in my opinion well worth it.

I had a Holeshot system on my '03 and just put one on my '06 (clicky). I think, given the cost of stainless steel, the quality of Dale Walker's stuff, the look and the awesome sound, they're a freakin' bargain!

I removed the cats and put on Leo Vinci cans. Still quiet enough, removed some heat, and maybe a few HP. Spins up quicker into the power band. Too me this was a more cost effective route.

If the Two Brothers have just cosmetic damage, try the cat removal. If you like it, put on some new cans.

I thought I read in a previous post that someone had a scrapping issue with the Muzzys, but when he called them, they said they had revised the pipe and the problem was fixed. Anyone else remember reading that somewhere?

There have been many discussions on the Muzzy and Holeshot systems inclusing the scrapping issue. Here are links to two discussions, one Muzzy and one Holeshot.

Muzzy on Gen II

Holeshot Touchdown

Both have touched down in the past! Personally I think it has to do with both suspension as well as exhaust design.

I currently have Two Brothers CF slip ons, and due to a minor traffic altercation, have the opportunity to change exhaust systems at AAA's expense. I like the sound of the Two Brothers, but don't like having a cat in the stock header. I also prefer the look of a single exhaust. With that in mind, the Muzzy full system appeals to me until I read all of the tales of scraping pipes around right-handers. The Dale Walker system looks good and gets good reviews, but the $$$$ for this system seem a little much.
Has Muzzy addressed the scraping issues? Are there any full systems besides these two? Has anyone tried the Leo Vince cans?

Any other information regarding personal experience with any after market exhaust is of interest to me.

Thanks

Eman.
yOU WONT TO SELL YOUR TWO BROS?? LET ME KNOW [email protected]