Which GPS to get???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zumo and Nuvi simply have check boxes which can yield some VERY interesting routes if, for example you've told the unit to avoid ferries and it is a long way (like 1000 miles) to get to a bridge to cross the river.
True. While it doesn't happen often it can happen. I recently drove back from New Jersey and had the Zumo set to "Avoid Interstates". It tried to route me around the Great Lakes...(!)

I'm not anti-Zumo or TomTom Rider, per se . . . .
I'm anti-TomTom Rider 2. It's a poorly done unit with a poorly done interface and software that is *actually* destructive.

Zumo 550 also is the only navigator I know of that serves as both a Bluetooth client AND a Bluetooth host, allowing you to mate your phone to the device and then couple that onward to an earpiece or into your car's system . . . . so you get to dial from the navigator while using the car's audio system.
Or, on the bike, it can then be mated to your helmet comm system. So I can make and receive phone calls from my iPhone with the Zumo.

But, the battery in my zumo is good for 8 or 10 hours anyways
you get 8-10 hours on the battery? I've never seen 4..... got some super battery in there or something?
No kidding! If I baby mine, I'm *lucky* to get 3.5 hrs out of it.

Looks like BMW put their spin on the Zumo 550, though I see nothing more other than some cosmetics.
My wife has that unit on her BMW F800ST and other than the mentioned cosmetics and a listing of every BMW dealer in North America, it is exactly the same unit as the "regular" Zumo 550.

If I want to use GPS to navagate back roads between Houston and Austin will it serve my purpose or is GPS good only for navigating citys and main roads between towns?

Thanks,

Greg

If I want to use GPS to navagate back roads between Houston and Austin will it serve my purpose or is GPS good only for navigating citys and main roads between towns?
GPS will work just fine in your situation. It depends on what GPS you get how good/accurate the maps are but overall, it will do pretty much what you are looking for.

Hmmmmm......not sure why you started a new topic when you could have easily asked this question in your other GPS thread. In fact, I am going to combine them.

Yes, GPS will show smaller back roads.

Looks like BMW put their spin on the Zumo 550, though I see nothing more other than some cosmetics.
My wife has that unit on her BMW F800ST and other than the mentioned cosmetics and a listing of every BMW dealer in North America, it is exactly the same unit as the "regular" Zumo 550.
Harley has done the same thing, but there aren't any discounts to be found on the web for it like there are for the 'stock' Zumo 550.

+1 on the 550. I really like mine. It ain't cheap, but sometimes you get what you pay for and it's (hopefully) a 1-time expense.

As for the failures, I believe some have had issues with their cradles failing, not the GPS unit itself, and Garmin has been stepping up and replacing the cradles.

Hmmmmm......not sure why you started a new topic when you could have easily asked this question in your other GPS thread. In fact, I am going to combine them.
Yes, GPS will show smaller back roads.
Hi,

I posted a new topic because I don't know what I am doing yet :dribble:

Thanks....Iam eyeballing the garmin 550

I bought the Nuvi 760 for use on both of my bikes and it works perfectly. I now have about 10k miles using it and I have had NO issues involving vibration. I put an 8gig card in it and loaded enough music to ride from AZ to NY and back and probably never hear the same song twice if desired. I run a Magellan Meridian Color on my ATV’s and have flipped them twice and ride them hard and vibration has never hurt the GPS.

Facts:

1) The Nuvi models are not waterproof so don’t go scuba-diving with it. If you hit a hard rain, place it in your pocket until it stops. (Time involved = 3 seconds; inconvenience = zero)

2) The Nuvi has a larger and higher pixel screen for better viewing.

3) The Nuvi will allow you to receive and MAKE calls through your Bluetooth phone. The Zumo won't.

4) The Nuvi is half the cost or more of the Zumo

5) The Nuvi has about a 5 hour battery life, but who cares, plug it in to the receptacle making battery life a mute point.

6) I wear gloves and using the touch screen on the Nuvi is extremely simple.

7) The Nuvi has many more features.

8) Both the Nuvi and the Zumo mounts very easily by using the RAM mounting system. I utilize the Stem mount on my FJR.

9) The ONLY advantage of the Zumo is the water-proof feature. But for the additional cost, you can buy two Nuvi 760’s and still have money left over for other stuff.

Summary: Garmin stresses the water-proof and vibration features just to get that extra $300-$500 bucks from you. It’s like paying $9 bucks a quart for so-called 4-stroke motorcycle oil when paying less than $9 bucks a gallon for Rotella T diesel oil is as good or probably better for your motorcycle.

My comments in red . . . .

I bought the Nuvi 760 for use on both of my bikes and it works perfectly. I now have about 10k miles using it and I have had NO issues involving vibration. I put an 8gig card in it and loaded enough music to ride from AZ to NY and back and probably never hear the same song twice if desired. I run a Magellan Meridian Color on my ATV's and have flipped them twice and ride them hard and vibration has never hurt the GPS.
Facts:

1) The Nuvi models are not waterproof so don't go scuba-diving with it. If you hit a hard rain, place it in your pocket until it stops. (Time involved = 3 seconds; inconvenience = zero)

The Nuvi 500 series IS waterproof

2) The Nuvi has a larger and higher pixel screen for better viewing.

276 series has a higher resolution display and uses it better and it is more readable in direct sunlight

3) The Nuvi will allow you to receive and MAKE calls through your Bluetooth phone. The Zumo won't.

Wrong. PLUS Zumo has a bluetooth host channel

4) The Nuvi is half the cost or more of the Zumo

Not necessarily

5) The Nuvi has about a 5 hour battery life, but who cares, plug it in to the receptacle making battery life a mute point.

Zumo's battery life is like 4 hours, the 276 is like 16 - sometimes you don't have an outlet - more often you don't have an AC adapter.

6) I wear gloves and using the touch screen on the Nuvi is extremely simple.

Zumo does touchscreens with gloves better than Nuvi - I prefer buttons. 276 wins.

7) The Nuvi has many more features.

Not really - except for MSN direct support and Audible Books and the travel guide which no one that I know uses, there isn't anything significant to distiinguish Nuvi.

No. Wait!! That's right. Zumo can disable autozoom. Nuvi does not.

8) Both the Nuvi and the Zumo mounts very easily by using the RAM mounting system. I utilize the Stem mount on my FJR.

Zumo and 276 have more secure mounts

9) The ONLY advantage of the Zumo is the water-proof feature. But for the additional cost, you can buy two Nuvi 760's and still have money left over for other stuff.

Not true. It is also vibration resistant - YOU may not have had issues, but parts WILL eventually shake free of the board if you try hard enough.

Summary: Garmin stresses the water-proof and vibration features just to get that extra $300-$500 bucks from you. It's like paying $9 bucks a quart for so-called 4-stroke motorcycle oil when paying less than $9 bucks a gallon for Rotella T diesel oil is as good or probably better for your motorcycle.

If you buy a Nuvi, then extra cables, brackets and such, you will have dissipated some of your financial and convenience advatages. In any case, the hardware is a one-time investment and the price spread need not be the list price differential. I don't believe that Zumo is the perfect answer and I've had most of them. But YOUR experience may be different.
So you makes your choice and you pays your money.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have this one.

etch-a-sketch-blank.jpg

Hard to find a mount for, but quite reliable unless the road is bumpy.

What the HELL, I like your GPS better anyway. It has a larger screen than mine and the two really cool knobs make it easy to adjust my destination!

8f56f53884fbebcd13df67e55feaaa870_large.jpg

Does anyone know how good the autoroute basemap is on the Garmin 276 and if there are any other good/compatable road maps available other than the 'automotive kit' they offer that seems to be tailored more toward city info...?

Does anyone know how good the autoroute basemap is on the Garmin 276 and if there are any other good/compatable road maps available other than the 'automotive kit' they offer that seems to be tailored more toward city info...?
The maps they offer for the 276 are the same ones they offer for every other navigator - they are the City Navigator NA NT series maps that Nuvi and everyone else has. You don't have to buy them as part of the automotive kit - they do offer it separately.

You can just buy a memory card and mount the unit on your bike with the backet in the Gymbal mount that comes with the navigator and use the tinned, unterminated power cord as well.

The base map only has major highways . . . it is relatively useless, essentially only for driiving highways between cities - and you can't route on the base map.

I have this one.
etch-a-sketch-blank.jpg

Hard to find a mount for, but quite reliable unless the road is bumpy.

That ain't bad but you're going to have a long way to go in order to top your earlier "not like in the movies" post.

I laughed so hard, I f..kin' hurt for an hour. :rolleyes:

I've got a Zumo 550 and I love it. Been with me for many miles in all climates but desert. Including the worst rain storm I've ever ridden (or driven) through. Works like a charm and easy to use. Also easy to take into the car. Big bucks, but BIGGER return. The Zumo forum is also FILLED with helpful info and how to.

The maps they offer for the 276 are the same ones they offer for every other navigator - they are the City Navigator NA NT series maps that Nuvi and everyone else has. You don't have to buy them as part of the automotive kit - they do offer it separately.

You can just buy a memory card and mount the unit on your bike with the backet in the Gymbal mount that comes with the navigator and use the tinned, unterminated power cord as well.

The base map only has major highways . . . it is relatively useless, essentially only for driiving highways between cities - and you can't route on the base map.
Thanks for all the info...I'm pretty much a GPS virgin so...how I understand it is I can install a memory card and it will remember the route I took and keep it in memory...? Do you know if the 550 has better mapping for they're base map or are you saying most if not all the base maps are basically the same unless you purchase the (City Navigator NA NT series) which it seems as though you may not think is worth it for back road adventures...? Thanks for your help. I'm also trying to decide on which GPS too purchase before our trip to TN and NC. The 550 is pretty damn pricey for sure...