• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Which is the better choice?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastorgumby

Reaction score
Hi and thanks! I'm seeking opinions, as i've already gathered that it is probably wiser to buy an '06 and newer to avoid a old problems, but here are two choices that i've been eyeing:

1) 2004 FJR ABS 3500 miles $5000 w/extra seats, windshield & amp; mufflers; older original owner, Gold paint w/silver trim & silver Corbin seat.

2) 2006 FJR ABS 3300 miles $8900 - extra windshield.

1) 2004 FJR ABS 3500 miles $5000 w/extra seats, windshield & amp; mufflers; older original owner, Gold paint w/silver trim & silver Corbin seat. 2) 2006 FJR ABS 3300 miles $8900 - extra windshield.
Go for the 06, unless your into bikes custom built for Liza Minelli.

Both rides have super low miles...

06 is what I would do.

It is basically the same bike as the 09... Except color... Thus, still holding some current shoppers eyes (not that you

buy a bike for its value).

That Generation I is probably a nice ride but it is 5 years old and the previous design.. Not even getting into whether its a nice

custom color.

The fact that the Gen II is in the 4th year of production and still a good seller says a lot.

Can't beat the fixes and improvements of the Generation II.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and thanks! I'm seeking opinions, as i've already gathered that it is probably wiser to buy an '06 and newer to avoid a old problems, but here are two choices that i've been eyeing:
1) 2004 FJR ABS 3500 miles $5000 w/extra seats, windshield & amp; mufflers; older original owner, Gold paint w/silver trim & silver Corbin seat.

2) 2006 FJR ABS 3300 miles $8900 - extra windshield.

Dang, If that idiot hadn't screwed up the '04 paint, (not too sure what he's "amping" either) I'd consider a plane ride to Jersey. Loving my Gen I.

Go with the '06. Or spend in the same neighborhood and look for an even newer bike. They're out there. Like on eBay or in the Classifieds on this site. There are incredible deals to be had right now.

I'll dissent. I'd take the 04 (does the color look good?). The $3.9K difference is a lot of money. I'd use it and a 2 thousand more to buy a track bike.

I have a gen 1 and fixing the heat issues was easy and fun.

That's a smokin deal on that 04. I'd be all over it depending on what the paint job looked like.

I have an '05 and love it. The '06 is a Gen. II in a darker blue.

Between the two, I'd go for the '06.

The details on the '04 are rather thin. Like, what are the seats, windshield and "amp". If all of these are things that you would be able to use then that is a really good deal. Considering the mileage is the same, the additional amount for entry to the '06 is not insignificant. Really not worth it, just for less heat, IMO. Especially since you live in NJ, not the deep south somewhere.

I guess it all comes down to whether you can stomach the paint color... :blink:

"Gold paint w/silver trim & silver Corbin seat" has me a little worried - both great bikes but at almost half the price -04-if the paint job is acceptable-why did it get painted..?..hmmmmm....faster than a speeding bullet its - goldielocks? I have an 07 and the other morning I was missing my 05 heat issue ;)

Test ride them both, buy the faster one. ;) That will be the Gen 1 of course. :D

Seriously, there are enough differences between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 that you may like one over the other after a test ride. As others have mentioned, the gold paint seems odd. Did he paint it just because he didn't like silver or did he need to paint it for some reason?

THANK YOU everyone for your opinions & feedback... I'll try to bargain down the '06, but i doubt that he'd take another thousand less (he's actually posted it for $9900).

I'd buy neither...I'd seriously wonder about any bike that has sat that long without running any significant miles.
In New Jersey- mileage that low is very common; as we only get, if we're lucky, 8-9 months of riding, and most riders here are recreational not commuters.

peace