Which satellite radio do you use

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v65

ouch
Reaction score
I am using a roady XT on the Feej, got it on sale. The problem is that the XT mounts to a base that provides it with power and antenna signal, it fits on the base with a friction fit (I have the based attached to the bike by a mount from premier accessories). Works fine in the car, but large bumps on the Feej cause it to dislodge. I have used various tricks to keep it in place, but that makes it a pain to move it to other vehicles. Now the antenna in the car has failed, so I think it's time to get a new radio. I am not tied to XM, in fact Sirius may be a better choice in the northeast in terms of signal - comments here would be appreciated. What I want is:

1) A radio that will firmly attach to the bike without the use of tape or other hacks.

2) Is easily transportable to other vehicles.

Any suggestions?

BTW, the mount from premier has performed flawlessly, it's the Roady that is the issue. However, if I have to get a new mount to make this work so be it.

This is a rather expensive suggestion but expensive is relative and you might find it acceptable. The Garmin Zuma 550 GPS. THe mount is rock solid and it comes with both mounts for your Bike and car. Moving it is a breeze. It is XM ready but you need to purchase the antenna. I bought mine at buydig.com for $611.00 delivered and the unit works great. I am actually a Sirius subscriber and prefere sirius over XM so I'm not using the XM capability of the Zuma myself.

I've been through every XM receiver made, using them on my Harley touring bikes. I got tired of having to keep the things dry and finally settled on a Harley Road Tech XM Receiver. It's not cheap ($250) but it's waterproof, has nice big buttons that can be pressed with gloves on, can be programmed with presets, and has excellent back-lighting that can be dimmed at night. I'm just getting ready to mount it on the FJR after removing it from my Ultra.

I'm going to mount it on top of the front brake reservoir using a modified Universal Bracket from Scott at N-Line. CLICKY for bracket. You'll need to modify the holes slightly. I'd send you a picture of it mounted but it's not done yet (on the Winter farkle to-do list).

By the way, my Garmin GPSMAP 376c has XM on it (which I've been using until I get my H-D radio mounted), but I don't like it. Changing the station involves 4 button-pushes to get to the XM screen, more button-pushes to change and set the station, then more button-pushes to get me back to the map or trip screen I'm normally watching. Way too much time to spend with hands off the grips in my opinion. With the H-D receiver I simply press one of ten preset buttons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Sirius Starmate 4 mounted over the triple clamp nut. Its a friction fit, but I've never had a problem with it coming loose in about 2000 miles. I am having reception problems since I put on the Cee Baily windscreen though (weak signals). Hoping that maybe the antenea went bad, but won't know until I try a new one.

i have a Siruis receiver from X-Act. It has a small clip-base that also gets all power and audio-out jacks from the base. I simply place it in the tank bag and leave it there when riding; feeding the audio out jack into the MixIt2 that's setting next to it.

Sirius and XM have partnered together (takeover, buy out, ???), so it may not make much difference.

I use a Garmin 2730 (no longer available) with built in XM. It works much better than the Roadie XT, which was prone to failure--a broken antenna connection in the base.

I went through two Sirius units and three XM units. Let's just say that these things ain't designed for hard mounting to a vibe prone MC. Since, I dropped the coin for a Zumo 550 and it has performed flawlessly.

I use a Sirius Stiletto. Since it's designed to be portable I can just put the reciever in the cell phone compartment in my tank bag, works ok.

MM2: Sirius and XM proposed a merger back in the summer. So far this is one of the longest debated mergers in history. Lobbyists for terestrial radio and the FCC have been working very hard to block it.

** Above statement is in no way meant to be political, just to update the status on our satalite subscritions. **

MM2: Sirius and XM proposed a merger back in the summer. So far this is one of the longest debated mergers in history. Lobbyists for terestrial radio and the FCC have been working very hard to block it. ** Above statement is in no way meant to be political, just to update the status on our satalite subscritions. **
Yesterday I read a letter from XM stating that there will be no interruption or change in service during the change-over. Now I can't find the letter. I'll go look in the recycle bin once the rain lets up.

This could actually be a plus for XM users. If they share satellites, it will help those of us who are a bit North and West, especially in the mountains.

MM2: Sirius and XM proposed a merger back in the summer. So far this is one of the longest debated mergers in history. Lobbyists for terestrial radio and the FCC have been working very hard to block it. ** Above statement is in no way meant to be political, just to update the status on our satalite subscritions. **
Yesterday I read a letter from XM stating that there will be no interruption or change in service during the change-over. Now I can't find the letter. I'll go look in the recycle bin once the rain lets up.

This could actually be a plus for XM users. If they share satellites, it will help those of us who are a bit North and West, especially in the mountains.
I believe the letter is in response to the shareholders approving the merger last month, it still needs to get federal approval.

I'm not too sure about you getting a better signal, it works great in the truck but those little antennas kinda suck on the bike. I've been thinking about mounting a dish to my helmet but I'll need a MUCH bigger wind screen :D

i am using a sirius sportser that i bought about 3 years ago for my jeep. i put the reciever in my tank bag(which is powered) and i put a large washer in the map pocket that the antenna mounts to

I've heard that one provider uses geosynchronous satellites while the other uses low earth orbit satellites. Not sure how they would make the two compatible, but they must have something in mind. Hey, anything that helps reception on the bike down in the southern end of California would make me happy!

Well this is interesting. I don't use a tankbag, I am not sure that I want to go the GPS route yet, so aside from LDRydr's solution I'm getting the hint that I am that I am SOL. Maybe I should suck it up and get an mp3 player.

I've heard that one provider uses geosynchronous satellites while the other uses low earth orbit satellites. Not sure how they would make the two compatible, but they must have something in mind. Hey, anything that helps reception on the bike down in the southern end of California would make me happy!
I think they plan on using some sort of relay so all recievers would pick up the signal from the other provider via the same satalite.

Well this is interesting. I don't use a tankbag, I am not sure that I want to go the GPS route yet, so aside from LDRydr's solution I'm getting the hint that I am that I am SOL. Maybe I should suck it up and get an mp3 player.
I picked up a small, cheap Joe Rocket tank bag with the radio in mind...I think it was $40.

The MP3 isn't a bad solution, I've used one and sometimes prefer it.

I've used the xm roady most of last year and ended up using very thin zip strips to keep it from vibrating loose and landing on the ground. Canceled when put bike up for winter and am gonna look at sirius for next year. Mostly to see if I can get better reception on the bike with the sirius. My fat ass blocked the signal. I had ended up with 2 antenna's one on the handlebar for going south and one on the plate from TC for going north. Gotta be a better solution.

A year or so ago, there were a coupla of threads here about which is better. The same thing about the satelites was said then. And I always believe everything I read on the internet.

I've got a Sirius Sportster attatched to a mount i made patterned after a mount talked about here on the forum. I can't remember the name of it ,but i found it by searching satelite radio mounts. I had to get a Boosta-roo to plug in my headphones so i could hear well enough above about 40 miles an hour. The radio is mounted on top of my clutch mastercylinder and the Boostaroo goes in the top of my tankbag. Antenna goes on top of the mount. It works great so far.

I've got a Sirius Sportster attatched to a mount i made patterned after a mount talked about here on the forum. I can't remember the name of it ,but i found it by searching satelite radio mounts. I had to get a Boosta-roo to plug in my headphones so i could hear well enough above about 40 miles an hour. The radio is mounted on top of my clutch mastercylinder and the Boostaroo goes in the top of my tankbag. Antenna goes on top of the mount. It works great so far.
That sounds like the mount I have, how portable is your sportster?