Which satellite radio do you use

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch! The Roady still has some life left in it, maybe now is not the time to purchase a new receiver. Out here in the sticks where all of the radio stations play the same music, and not the kind I want to hear, satellite radio is a boon. It would be a shame to see it disappear.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Sirius Sportster attatched to a mount i made patterned after a mount talked about here on the forum. I can't remember the name of it ,but i found it by searching satelite radio mounts. I had to get a Boosta-roo to plug in my headphones so i could hear well enough above about 40 miles an hour. The radio is mounted on top of my clutch mastercylinder and the Boostaroo goes in the top of my tankbag. Antenna goes on top of the mount. It works great so far.
That sounds like the mount I have, how portable is your sportster?
There is a small sliding lock switch on the back of the Sirius cradle that you move left and then lift the receiver up and off. I don't move my receiver to any other vehicle but you can buy extra cradles for the home or another car for about 46.00.

i had the original roady that i velcroed to a small metal plate, i then screwed an idential medal plate to the clutch reservoir and had another pair of velcro to between the plates. so the radio itself had 2 layers of velcro between it and the clutch reservoir. this provided ample damping, and could quickly remove the radio and chuck it in my tankbag at the end of the day etc.

after 3 hard years in lots of vehicles the display died - primarily from me taking it apart to clean spilled soda and to try to rig the antenna differently. it didnt die from vibes, but me snapping it together too quickly in a rush and damaging the lcd solder pins.

i have the new XT now with the wierd base attachment and I might rig up the velcro system again to hold it to the bike as well keep it attached to the base. i guess my point is velcro is a good damper. probably too tacky for you guys with some sense of style but i seem to be missing that...

Sirius and XM have partnered together (takeover, buy out, ???), so it may not make much difference.
has that met final approval by the fed? last i heard they had announced intention but it wasn't finalized. just saw the link above ("latest"). now off to read it.

been using my Sirius X-Act for about 3 or 4 years now without a problem. see original post about how it's mounted.

probably too tacky for you guys with some sense of style but i seem to be missing that...
Actually electrical tape and a sandwich bag do a good job of fastening an XT firmly, if done properly it protects the antenna connection, and is waterproof to boot. Velcro would be a huge step up. :lol:

The sportsters are on sale if you subscribe, so those will get a good look this weekend at the mega store. Bounce, which model X_Act do you have? They look like falcon's velcro system might work well with them, avoiding the need for cradles.

I went through 3 Roady XTs before switching to Roady II. You can find Roady II on Ebay. The connections are direct to the unit, no base thus they don't vibrate out.

Bounce, which model X_Act do you have? They look like falcon's velcro system might work well with them, avoiding the need for cradles.
i have the XTR1 receiver, the car kit and a boom box. i got the whole deal through Woot.com and, by working their sale price and a few rebate coupons was out a total of $20 for the while package! (woo hoo! i luv me some Woot!)

doing a self-buy through other sources, i'd look at something like XTR8CK simply because I don't see the red/amber displays very well.

IMO. I'd not hard mount any of them. They aren't weather resistant and none of them have the guts to stand up to vibes for long.