Which windshield is best

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Rifle shield and like it much better than my CalSci. Both blocked the wind better but the Rifle is better at keeping noise and buffeting down when following traffic with disturbed air. Both were much better than stock.

I got my 2005 with 509 miles on it in OCT 2008. I rode it with the stock shield for about 2 months. I'm 6'3" and got the VStream. I had wind noise and caught the top wind off the top of the shield with the stock. I'm glad I bought what I did. Now it's very minimal on both wind noise and top wind. No complaints at all.

Oh, Approx. 4,200 miles on the bike now.

Whenever there is a discussion of windshields for FJRs, it should always be stipulated which generation is in question. The windshield mechanisms and windflow on 1st gens is considerably different than 2nd.

Of course we probably all already realize that there are also major differences in our builds, and where that puts our heads relative to the shield. So what works for one guy may be terrible for someone else.

Personally, I have settled on 3 shields for my 1st gen. Rifle sport for most conditions. Rifle Touring for winter chill. And Stock (soon to be a cut-down stock) for summer heat. The plain and undeniable fact is that the electrically adjustable windshield does not have enough range of adjustment to make any one shield work under all conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like my Cee Bailey's +3(w) +2(h) with flip. I'm 6'0" and use a Russell seat which I think is about an inch higher than stock. I ran the stock shield on my '07 for just a short time. I knew it was not going to cut it for the long tours. Not enough protection. I next tried the Yamaha tall shield, but it seemed to shake a lot, and you had to have it in a near vertical postion to substatially kill the wind. Next I tried the CeeBaily +2(w) +4(h) with flip. This shield seemed more stable on the highway, but it was a bit too much. It was the best shield up to that point, by far. Finally I bought the Cee Baily's +3(w) +2(t) with flip and it seems just right. I get lots of wind when it is down, but putting it about 2/3 up does a good job of effectively killing the wind. Another thing, proportionally, it looks right. I think it is the best looking windshield of them all.

I got the vstream 2 weeks ago. Love it. Will def. be too hot for summer but great for winter. Very quiet all the way up. Still a lot of resonance/ noise with it all the way down, shield open or closed, with earplugs or without. I got some wax earplugs, gonna try those. Losing my hearing and trying to preserve it. Looking through the windshield didn't bother me except in the mountains hitting the curves, had to put her down. ON the way home when it got chilly it was nice to put her back up. Like riding in a convertible.

-Jason

The clear one! :p

Thankfully you've "cleared this up". :huh:

I can't see where this has ever come up in the past here...

Then again I've been doing a bit of this.. :blink: :dribble:

0_61_320x240_smoking_joint.jpg

Screens are like woman.. Subjective.

:jester:

I hate to beat a dead horse on the windscreen thread, but,,,,,, I installed a Givi on my FZ1 a few years ago and have been happy with the results. Good fit and finish. Moved the air away. It seems like a top rated product and being some what a creature of habit I have been considering a Givi for my 05 FJR. Has anybody tried this screen?

I found a pretty good deal on a Givi. around 100 including shipping. I think I'll go ahead and get it for a standard replacement. Maybe something a little bigger for winter.

Two FJR's, both Gen I's, and I've had stock shields, VStream, CalSci, and tried a Cee Bailey (temp mount loan from a forum member).

As soon as I tried the CalSci I was sold (they're near me, and Mark let me mount one and take it for a test ride). Smooth and quiet, I could really hear my own engine note on the freeway for the first time. Unfortunately, it wasn't tough enough to survive a tumble through the rocks last year--neither was the bike. So it was back to stock on the second bike. I bought a VStream from a forum member at a very good price and it offers a lot of wind protection, but the look of it reminds me of this:

square-rig1.jpg

When spring came, it was too much protection and I went back to stock until late fall. With the CalSci, I was comfortable year round, a big advantage. I do recommend reading the CalSci website, not just for windshield info, but lots of other interesting stuff. If I ever replace the VStream, it'll definitely be back to CalSci.

Some questions for the Bailey's owners. How does the additional width affect the bike +3,+4 how does it fit, any Pics?? and what is the preference Flip or no Flip??Lastly anyone notice a difference in MPGs with the larger screen. :blink: :huh: