Which windshield is best

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No experience with anything but the stocker, but that will change soon as I have a CeeBaily 4+3+flip coming...

I really like Rotella T synthetic, but some prefer Mobil 1--oh wait, this is about another subjective topic. Uh, I like whichever I bought since I don't want to buy another one :D

doctorj

As a few others have mentioned, don't ignore the Rifle

As to a recommendation, I have to agree with others that your size, a custom seat if any, riding style, screen preference (over vs thru screen), and temp during riding all make a difference. And I didn't see this mentioned - if you have a pillion or not.

I started on a Concours ZG1000 about 15 years ago which stock had a flip-up screen. Fine for me (I'm 6', other than a funky draft down the back of my jacket occassionally) but TERRIBLE with a passenger (who would get buffeted terribly). A Rifle fixed that and was much quieter and excellent screen optics. 100k miles later I upgraded to the FJR. I promptly went out and got another Rifle and am not disappointed. My wifes rides with me occassionally, as such, I'd never consider a flip up screen. Also, a flip creates excess (unnecessary) turbulence which will hurt mileage even more than a larger screen will. (Getting a flip-up screen large enough to not buffet a passenger would be like riding with a barn door up front - no thanks)

My recommendation - go on some groups rides and see if those of your size with other screens will either temp swap a screen with you or test ride their mounts.

I tried my friends FJR with VStrom shield and didn't like the wind hitting me in the sides (I have a hand-me down Aerostitch which is stightly large/loose, so the side wind was distracting as it made teh waist/mid-section area buffett).

Some questions for the Bailey's owners. How does the additional width affect the bike +3,+4 how does it fit, any Pics?? and what is the preference Flip or no Flip??Lastly anyone notice a difference in MPGs with the larger screen. :blink: :huh:
Additional width on a screen keeps more wind off my arms, which is why I have a Vstream for winter riding.

I also have a stock width Cee Bailey that's only 2 inches taller and has the flip. IMO, the flip is a must for smooth air. My stock shield was horrible for turbulence when raised, yet my CB shield with flip is basically the same shield as stock with the addition of the flip and it's virtually eliminated the turbulence.

And yes, I've noticed a slight mileage decrease with my huge Vstream shield but it's irrelevant to me because there's no way I'm not using that shield in the winter. Last week was 16 degrees every morning going to work and I really appreciated the Vstream blocking wind for me.