Who and where do you get your ticker fixed?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zorkler

Ave U !!!!
Reaction score
called yamaha and tALKED TO 6 DIFFERENT PEOPLE and all of them never herd of the problem . So i was thinging if some of you can give me the name of the shop a phone number would be nice i can give them a call and they can give me a contact person nAME AT YAMAHA U.S.A. . MY dealer said yamaha never heard of this problem also there is no papper work that was posted by yamaha . thanks mike (zorkler)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a ticker, but, I do remember posts about this. You have to say the magic words, "excessive exhaust valve guide wear" not "the tick" You have top-end noise that correlates with excessive valve guide wear.

I can`t believe it: Yamaha still isn`t coming clean with this problem...freaking unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry2: ...nothing but a bunch of lying bastards!

So i was thinging if some of you can give me the name of the shop a phone number would be nice i can give them a call...
Sounds like a very bood task for reviewing the Dealer Feedback Forum. If you were to choose Sunnyside however I think you wouldn't find a need to contact Cypress....you'd need to just work with them, get your bike in, and they'd fix it.

Concur on saying "excessive exhaust valve guid wear" as "ticking" is non-specific and could refer to what we all know as the harmless and normal ticking and the bad tick.

I can`t believe it: Yamaha still isn`t coming clean with this problem...freaking unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry2: ...nothing but a bunch of lying bastards!
Welcome to the board new guy. The subject has been discussed at length before with a variety of reasons gone over about modern corporate culture and how pointless (and could even be disadvantageous) to personalize it. The fact that Yamaha is fixing these when you use the correct diagnosis term and work through dealers is a postive...even bikes out of warranty. If you expect them to openly admit it....I think it would be easier to joust a windmill my friend.

Mike, sorry to hear about the tick after all the shit you have been through this year. There is an article where Yamaha completely acknowledges the existence of the valve-ticking problem and will fix it at [SIZE=10pt]“no-cost repair”[/SIZE]. It is in the June 2005 Cycle World; Pages 156 & 157.

Yamaha wants you to think this is a small problem…it is not by any means. Pick up the old CW issue or let me know if I should scan & send you one. Yes…Yamaha knows about this. Don’t let them or anybody else yank your chain. **** you Yamaha!

Good luck Mike. The key is to have a good dealer work with you. Cheers.

"Yamaha wants you to think this is a small problem" - well, actually it is/was a relatively small number of bikes that were affected.

We have at least 10 FJR's of all years in my area that I know of and I have talked to the owners and mine was the only ticker.

And as for the "F-you Yamaha" comment - all I can say is they fixed my FJR with no drama, no problems and no "F-you owner" so in my opinion and experience your comments are way to harsh..

Some people think everyone is aware of everything in the universe because it's on the Internet and that just isn't so - but they can be educated.

18k miles since mine was repaired an it runs STRONG and silent.

“no-cost repair”[/u][/b].[/size] It is in the June 2005 Cycle World; Pages 156 & 157.
anyone able to scan this article in and send to the needy?
I have some jpegs, but I'm "posting challenged". PM me an eMail address and I'll send them along
My bad. Shouldn't use the forum to traffic in copyrighted material. You can get a digital copy of the issue here:

https://www.zinio.com/singles?pager.offset=...;issn=0011-4286

for $4.

"Yamaha wants you to think this is a small problem" - well, actually it is/was a relatively small number of bikes that were affected.
We have at least 10 FJR's of all years in my area that I know of and I have talked to the owners and mine was the only ticker.
I think the problem is bigger than one out of ten, at least in this area There's about 20 "regulars" in our NorCal Fjr riding group and at least five have had the tick repair. :angry2: I think I may be joining the repair group soon too, my bike is not sounding right lately. :(

I spoke with Yammy customer support recently and I have to say I was thoroughly and pleasantly surprised by the helpfulness of the staff. After explaining the problem, I was transferred to a very helpful technician who explained, that although my bike's out of warranty, that doesn't mean they won't step up to the plate if the problem is properly diagnosed by my mechanic. They didn't promise me anything, but certainly made me feel as if I was a valuable customer - and that's 90% of the battle these days. I even told them I was the 2nd owner of the bike and that made no difference to them.

I'll keep you posted on what they do for me. My '03 has a little over 17K miles on it. I'm taking it in next week for the TPS fix and while in the shop my mechanic will contact Yammy about the "ticking" valve problem. Oh yeah, I did use the term "Excessive valve guide wear", in my conversation. That definitely helped and they acknowledged the issue straight up.

More to come...

The problem isn't getting Yamaha to fix it when they agree it's a problem, it's getting Yamaha to agree there "may" be a problem.

I just went thru this. See update below. Good luck.

Update:

From post two weeks ago, Yamaha district rep had told my dealership no such problem exists. My call to Yamaha customer service stated the same thing, then they went ahead and authorized two hours for the tech to diagnose the problem (the district rep had originally told my dealership to do a valve adjustment at my expense even though it's not due yet). Extended warranty did not matter.

7 working days later I called the dealership and they are waiting on the new valves and guides to arrive. So they are fixing the problem. I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes, as the shop has had complete turnover since I bought the bike there (so much for the 6 packs I bought the service techs when I bought the bike) and I have no cozy relationship with anyone there now.

This could go so much smoother with better communication. I presented the Cycle World article, the Aussy service bulletin, and other info, but was blown off as "internet mania" issue by the original service tech when I first brought it in. District Rep wasn't much help either.

Does anyone have a parts list of what they should replace? I specifically asked about the head bolts, and they hadn't ordered those. From what I hear here, they are not reusable. Any other questions I should ask?

Be helpfull to new readers to know where you are geting the work done, or at least what city/region you delt with the sales rep in.

Does anyone have a parts list of what they should replace? I specifically asked about the head bolts, and they hadn't ordered those. From what I hear here, they are not reusable. Any other questions I should ask?
Use the Search button and enter +head +bolts +repair. I see at least several previous posts that would help you.

Also, combining this thread back to your original. If in the future somebody else needs to see this evolution it will help it not be disconnected. Will adjust title to match.