Who Commutes on the FJR Daily?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trmn8er

Reaction score
I bought my new 2006 FJR1300A this past July. No deposit, just bought it from a dealer. I now commute 45 miles one way for 90 miles per day. With the price of Gas, I have begun riding the FJR rather than taking the car to work. I spend about $5.50 per day in gas to take the bike to work, or $9.00 to drive the car. I'm not rich, so it helps me out, not to mention I enjoy the ride. Great weather in Southern California makes riding year round easy.

I would be interested to see how many ride to work daily, or if not daily, how often, and how far. I now have 4500 miles on the bike since mid July, and figure I will put about 14K per year just riding to work, assuming I ride 3 days per week, and drive the car 2 days on average. This is not including the 2-3 long trips I take per year with my Brother and another riding buddy or two. Some days there are meetings, rain, or cold weather to consider that may force me to drive the car. Thanks for the input...

+1 on a daily commute, 5 days a week for me.

Coming from San Diego (just moved away 1 month ago)

It used to take me 30-45 minutes each way in the cage

With lane splitting alone (still following the speed limit, most of the time :) ) I cut my ride time down to 12-15 minutes depending on traffic.

I think the FJR is a great commuter bike.

Plenty of storage for anything you need during the day.

Even enough space to bring home a few groceries.

Now if the damn moving company will show up with my stuff, I will get back to riding...

I've been without my ride since early Sept, I'm going through withdrawls :(

... 45 miles one way for 90 miles per day.
I'm only going about 3 miles each way.

With the price of Gas, I have begun riding the FJR rather than taking the car to work.
I do it because of the traffic, nose to tail, mostly stationary queues of cars, I can cut the time from 20 or 25 minutes down to 10

I spend about $5.50 per day in gas to take the bike to work, or $9.00 to drive the car.
I currently pay about 90 pence per litre, that works out at about $6.6 per US gallon (3.785 litres to a US gallon, exchange rate 1.91 dollars per pound sterling).

I'm not rich, so it helps me out, not to mention I enjoy the ride.
I'm not rich, and I much prefer the ride than using the car, though not the most enjoyable ride.

Great weather in Southern California makes riding year round easy.
UK weather? all sorts. Today it's quite cold (about 11C or 52F), but dry. Yesterday it was warmer (15C or 59F) but the roads were greasy, had the back step out once turning out of a T-junction. I ride in any weather unless there is ice on the roads.

I now have 4500 miles on the bike since mid July, and figure I will put about 14K per year just riding to work, assuming I ride 3 days per week, and drive the car 2 days on average. This is not including the 2-3 long trips I take per year with my Brother and another riding buddy or two. Some days there are meetings, rain, or cold weather to consider that may force me to drive the car.
I've only done about 700 miles since the beginning of September (a lot of my "free" riding time was taken up with my daughter's wedding). I expect to do about 4000 miles in a year, I don't get out enough. For the last three years I have a tour totalling 1200 miles or so in Scotland (www.highlandrider.com, several of my photos on his site, my write-ups on my web site), other than that and commuting it's just 50-ish mile trips round the Derbyshire Peak District and occasional runs to relatives of 100 to 250 miles each way (depending on which relative). Unfortunately my wife won't come with me on the bike (she's not scared, used to ride a scooter when she was younger, she can't [or won't] see the point).

Last edited by a moderator:
I commute four days a week (gotta love the 4/10 schedule) on my FJR, but my commute is only 12 miles each way. But, I commute in all weather conditions unless there is ice actually on the road. I have only been stranded at work once over the years when it got icy after I got to work.

This past week was one helluva test for my rain gear too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Me too, I use the Feej for my commute, 4 days a week, 42 miles each way.

I seriously hated getting stuck in traffic in my truck. Now, I've noticed that I've gained some "me time" while riding to and from work. I save alot on gas, except when I'm doing about 140, she starts to suck gas pretty good!

I love to cruise and relax and haul ass a little to blow off steam...the Feej is a stress relief machine!

The FJR has been my primary commuter for six-months or so: 25 miles RT in very heavy traffic, although the car pool lanes help with the bike.

I've been VERY impressed with the bike in this role. The great weather proection (I think the electric windshield with stock screen is simply outstanding), nice luggage, aftermarket heated grips, fairly nimble handling (for a large bike), and overall comfort make it a superb commuter. It's a little bukly at times, and for this reason I occasionally take my 650 Strom, but overall, I couldn't be happier with the bike in this role.

- Mark

Recently retired, but before I did, I commuted most of the time. Saved a lot on gas, always had a premo parking place and looked forward to the commute just to be able to get on the bike and ride. My commute was only eight miles each way but it was always more fun on the bike. Avoided rainy days and snowy/icey days but I road year round even if into the 20's, if dry. I loved it when it was really cold and I was the only bike in the parking lot, and the regulars would say, "you road today?" I took pride on those days I said yes.

I got my FJR the first week in Oct and commute on it when ever I can. I live about 9 mi from work but when I take the bike to work I usually make it a 20-25 trip taking the very scenic route. So glad I have heated gear! If it's 34deg and no rain I ride to work.

I bought my '06 on August 22nd, and turned 4700 miles on the ride in to work this morning. I have managed to get in 3 day trips, 200-300 miles each. Other than that, all of the miles are the daily commute to and from work. Round trip to the office is 70 miles, but I have to travel around the Northern IL area a decent amount for work, so I can sometimes get in up to 300 miles a day, on company time. I also get reimbursed for mileage when I am on the road for work, which means more money in my pocket with the better gas mileage on the FJR instead on the car.

The bad news is that this looks like it might be the last week of riding for a long time . Calling for snow showers Saturday, and then lows in the upper 20's all next week. I try to be at my desk by 5:00 am, so my morning commute is always at the coldest part of the day. :dribble:

I commute fairly regularly to work on my'06A; usually about 52 miles round trip including lunch hour ride to and from the sandwich shop. Lane splitting is not permitted here in Nebraska but then we don't have the traffic jams that some of you live with. I ride in temps as low as 20F to as high as 100F but usually opt for the car when it is raining. I have just over 3700 miles on the bike since picking it up in August. Most of it has accumulated while commuting. We have special parking spots as well but the signs will come down soon for the winter. We had snow three weeks ago so the commuting will be curtailed here soon.

I commute about 60 miles each way. I work from home as often as I can and only go in to the office on average twice a week. I ride the FJR as long as there is no chance of snow or ice on the roads.

I wear First Gear Kili jacket and HT overpants, which are waterproof, so I don't need to carry rain gear. I leave a pair of shoes in my office so I can take my boots off when I get there.

I put my laptop in a backpack style PC carrying bag and put that in my Givi V46. I normally leave the side bags home unless I need to carry extra stuff.

I use a radar detector with speakers velcro'd inside my helmet.

Not only does it save me gas to commute by bike, but it also takes less time and, of course, is a whole lot more fun.

I commute four days a week (I love the 4/10 schedule also) and my ride is an easy 22 miles out in the country to work and 22 back.

In 2005 I only drove the car to work four times the entire year and that's because it was raining severely. I think I have driven the car to work *maybe* a dozen times this year and the rest was on the FJR.

This morning it was such a nice morning I found myself slowing down - just to enjoy the ride.

And plus +100 to this -->

I think the FJR is a great commuter bike.

Plenty of storage for anything you need during the day.

Even enough space to bring home a few groceries.

AND you get great gas mileage to boot!!

Absolutely. Got my FJR at the end of September and have been riding to work whenever possible. Sadly my commute is only about 7 miles each way but like FLHX I tend to take the "long way home" if ya know what I mean.

Rode in today in sunny 46 degree weather and loved every minute of it.

Every day - unless it is thundering and lightning in the am, or icy. Distance to work used to be 8 miles. Now, it is 35 miles. Funny how that happens. I agree with C&C 100% - I work with a couple of HD riders, and I used to love it when I would ride the vmax to work in 20 degree temps and they would say "you rode today??"

Daily commute for me on my AE is 50 miles round trip (to and from work).

Then add the miles with the weekend riding with my GF. :yahoo:

Besides the gas savings, I also get to cut off commute time when it's slow on the freeway and I split lanes. Some days I save at least 20-30 minutes because I'm on the FJR.

Daily commuter here from Birmingham, AL, unless there's snow or ice on the ground. It's only about 30 miles per day. Funny thing, my truck knows the way home, but the bike doesn't seem to know how to go directly home. :D Riding in rush hour is dangerous, but it is a rush. I'm VERY awake when I get to work.

18 miles one way for me. But I frequently make 30-45 mile trips to my other locations in the region. Have to carry a laptop etc. with me most everywhere and must stay live on the cell phone throughout the day.

Don't have to wear a tie, but should. RHIP :)

If it's heavy overcast, super freakin cold (below 40F), super freakin hot (above 95F), or rain for sure, I may opt for the cager. But most of the time what makes me drive the cager rather than take the FJR is the kids. The FJR gets old to them unless it's good weather and they can impress their friends when Daddy picks them up on his cool motorcycle. :)

I think the FJR is somewhat of a false economy. Mainly because I spend so much money on special clothing, boots, face shields, farkles and TIRES! Just can't resist the 2-3 mile stretches of flat, wide open two lanes where I can hit 100+. It makes going to work ALMOST bearable.

Leaving right now as a matter of fact. It's 65F now and expected to be 77F by noon. Sunny, blue NC skies. God I do love this state and my FJR!

I'm another daily commuter, about 20 miles round trip. Getting ready to leave now as a matter of fact. :) Commute about 80-90% of the time. If it's raining in the morning then I'll take the truck. Otherwise I'm on the bike. Occasionally I have to use the bike to run company errands. They pay for all my gas for doing the occasional run, and I get to ride mid day, so it's all good!