Who Commutes on the FJR Daily?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) , I use to take the trusty steed daily 27 miles each way, for the first 1.5 years.

Now, I am driving the truck :( , besides drinking the petro like it is coolaid, it isn't as enjoyable.

I can not wait to get back in the saddle again!

Hopefully Yamaha will deliver the parts, so that I get a few good rides in before snow hits.

What a great 70 degree day it is here today in Louisville.

At least I can roll the windows down :lol:

I hope you all are enjoying the rides.

I ride 5 and 7 days a week in everything but Snow and Ice. If it below 36 deg. I drive and grumble.

:blink: It's strange but I have never felt sleepy riding my bike but when I commute in a cage I sometimes get sleepy... The grin must be keeping my eyes open... :D

I commute 36 miles/day, and when my better half wants something from the Grocery store....

I have a Mustang that needs registration, inspection, and a side marker(broken). Unfortunately for the the Stang, all my time and money has been devoted to the FJR farkles as of late. I even pick the kids up on the bike, and they love it, course, their school is 3/4 mile from home.....

As long as there is no ice on the hiway from the once yearly freak 2 day ice storm, I'm ridin!

I've only been riding the FJR to work once or twice a week lately due to going to school or golfing right after work. Daily commute is 40 miles and I tend to ride it in more during the winter and summer recess.

I ride to work as often as possible. My commute is around 25 miles one way. I work 3rd shift and often work overtime. Overtime often entails a 16 hour day. If I suspect I will be too tired at the end of my double shift I won't ride. Better to play it safe than to ride tired.

I ride as long as it isn't too cold and I don't have to worry about ice or snow. I try to avoid rain but will ride in it on occassion.

The roads I take are rural back roads and secondary roads. The only thing I really have to worry about is forest rats when riding into work at 11pm.

It's funny that I originally used economy as a justification for purchasing a bike. But that's a myth, unless that becomes you're only transportation and you park the car, don't register it, and drop it's insurance.
The added costs of more frequent tire changes and other maintenance, plus the cost of the vehicle, insurance, etc, etc. Means you really need to save mucho denero on fuel alone before you even come close to breaking even.

Doesn't mean it's not more energy conscience to use though. The ONLY thing that is affected is my fuel consumption, my costs are higher because I still have two vehicles.
I dont know that I agree with it being a myth on saving money. In your case, perhaps. Keep this in mind;

1. You would have a bike anyway, because you love bikes. To factor the cost of the bike in, I don't know

2. Same for insurance. I would have my bike insured, regardless if I rode it to work. It's really not an extra cost for me

3. I will save me well over $1,300 per year in fuel alone based on riding only 3 days per week, and only 45 weeks per year. I was conservative based on weather, vacations, etc. . That's the difference between my Saleen SC getting 15MPG and running Super, and the FJR getting 40+ running regular. It guess I have a longer commute than most, but again I would have the FJR regardless if I rode it to work, so even with buying tires, it saves me money. :bike:

It's funny that I originally used economy as a justification for purchasing a bike. But that's a myth, unless that becomes you're only transportation and you park the car, don't register it, and drop it's insurance.

The added costs of more frequent tire changes and other maintenance, plus the cost of the vehicle, insurance, etc, etc. Means you really need to save mucho denero on fuel alone before you even come close to breaking even.

Doesn't mean it's not more energy conscience to use though. The ONLY thing that is affected is my fuel consumption, my costs are higher because I still have two vehicles.
I dont know that I agree with it being a myth on saving money. In your case, perhaps. Keep this in mind;

1. You would have a bike anyway, because you love bikes. To factor the cost of the bike in, I don't know

2. Same for insurance. I would have my bike insured, regardless if I rode it to work. It's really not an extra cost for me

3. I will save me well over $1,300 per year in fuel alone based on riding only 3 days per week, and only 45 weeks per year. I was conservative based on weather, vacations, etc. . That's the difference between my Saleen SC getting 15MPG and running Super, and the FJR getting 40+ running regular. It guess I have a longer commute than most, but again I would have the FJR regardless if I rode it to work, so even with buying tires, it saves me money. :bike:
It definitely depends on what you're accounting for. As I said, I originally thought that the economy was a reason for purchasing. That purchase was my other bike, which I only spent $4k on originally, not the $13k+ spent on the FJR.

Prior to that I was sans commutable motorcycle.

My choices in vehicles to commute in (currently) are:

2000 ford Excursion 11MPG no matter what, up hill down hill towing or not, it's 11mpg.

1993 Ford Econoline Van ~17-21 MPG

1999 Chrysler Cirrus, ~20-24 MPG

Certainly my FJR and for that matter the ZX-11 which also runs in the mid 40's in MPG, it could be double to

4x the efficiency of any chosen vehicle on any chosen day.

If you do assume that you're going to have one anyway, so the costs of 'ownership' don't count, then you only have to think about what putting those miles on the bike vs the car costs you.

Tires cost the same or in most of my cases more except for the Excursion, but I only get 6500 or so miles out of a set. I can shoe most vehicles for the cost of two sets of moto tires, and get $50k miles or more.

I also have far more aggressive oil change intervals as well on the bike.

Factor in gear you might need because you commute that you wouldn't otherwise have, etc, etc.

The reality is you could spin this to what ever advantage you want by what you elect to include as the costs of commuting.

It's a wash in my book, but it's certainly a hell of a lot more fun.

Now, if my only choice was the 11mpg Excursion vs the FJR, and I commuted farther and the cost of gas was $5.00 a gallon then it *could* swing the other way.

I ride to work just about everyday that it's not raining when I leave in the morning. I'll be able to continue this until at least eary December , when the first snow (and salt on the road) hits. Then its mostly dry weekend days (when I'm not snowmobiling) until March.

I ride to work every day unless there's ice or snow on the streets (usually 10-15 days a year). Working at a University a permit is required & I only have one for the bike ($45 vs $110 a year). On those few days I need to cage it I get a temporary permit. The ride is a mighty 2.5 miles each way, plus about the same for lunch :) .

James

9 mile each way for me. I get to park in downtown Sacramento right outside my office window for $10.00 a month. It beats dealing with the meter/parking Nazis. I usually ride home for lunch just for grins :) This is how I maintain my sanity.

Don't know why, but I'm almost surprised at the number of you clowns who,like me, use the Feejer for your work ride.

55 miles a day, 5 days a week here, rain or shine. I love the plastic bags from Wally World...makes great boot covers. :)

My ZRX was my commuter of choice 'til I got the Feej 13 months ago. Driven the car exactly twice in the last 5 years....and both times since I got my FJR. First time was my first day to work after a 2 month medical leave. Had a doctor's appointment and wasn't cleared to ride yet...and the other cage-occasion was a flat-tired FJR sitting next to a dead battery'd ZRX. I had no choice.

Fortunately, I didn't get caught, 'cause the car tag was 2 years dead. :eek:

I'm a firefighter so I work the 24 on 48 off schedule. I've got about a 65 mile trip to work but it is only about 3 times a week. Bought the bike on May 31 and have about 3500 miles on it. Don't like to ride in the rain, but I can handle the cool mornings (so far).

I work three, twelve hour (sometimes 16hr) shifts and do the 32 mile RT commute on my bike. Traffic is busy at 6am so being able to use the HOV lane helps. Easy parking was another incentive until Mr Security man gave tickets to all the bikes that were tucked away in a corner. Instead of being out of the way, we each take up a whole parking space now.

Prior to the FJR, I had a VStar 1100. That didn't have the acceleration to make me feel comfortable getting across six lanes to the HOV lane. No problem now. I like having the bags, to carry lunch and my purse. Once I get to work, the helmet is locked away in the bags.

No problem with temperature. I wear full leathers most of the time or mesh if it's really hot. Just by chance I learned that hospital scrubs are ideal to wear under leathers. On rainy days, I will opt for the protection of a steel cage. I know that I can ride in the rain but when Stormwatch makes the evening news, it's time for four wheels.

Jill

How many commuting riders are asked (while wearing full gear) 'Do you ride a motorcycle?'

Like so many here, my FJR is my commuter to work since I bought it in May. 75 miles round trip (through Cajon Pass if you're familiar w/ the Inland Empire) about 30 miles of that is splitting during my rush hour commute. The only problem I seem to have is, she doesn't want to stay at posted speeds when traffic opens up.

22 mile commute....4 days a week....

I teach fiddle/mando on tuesdays...working on fitting my Calton case to the Givi rack. Not done yet... then I can commute 5 days a week...!

Winter? never heard of it...

craig

I did my 60-miles-a-day commute 5 days a week during this past Summer when my wife was off work. There was zero rain, so I never had to prep myself for it.

Now I ride as long as:

1) It's not raining

2) I don't have to carry something big to or from work

3) There isn't some sort of event that my wife and I have to be at together that day.

So nowadays it averages out to about 4.5 days a week. I've never ridden in Winter, so I'm pre-dreading how that 35F wind will feel. Oh, and that 30F wind. And that 25F wind. And that freaking 20F wind. Yikes!

My biggest reasons for motorcycle commuting are:

1) HOV lane access

2) Fuel economy

3) Enjoyable

Bunsen

JillHow many commuting riders are asked (while wearing full gear) 'Do you ride a motorcycle?'
Unbelievable aint it?

Monday I'm standing in the lobby of our office building, full gear, heated liner, cords everywhere, helmet in hand, etc, etc while I wait for the elevator.

A co-worker walks up to get on said elevator, looks at me and asks... "Did you ride today?"

I was dumbfounded...

Nope, I just like to carry this stuff around "Just In Case", here's your sign...

When I went to Vote on Tuesday, the person at the voter check in asked me if I rode a motorcycle. WTF!?! (Boots, armoured pants, Armoured jacket, and helmet in hand) No, I just like wearing all this stuff in case I run into someone who wants to beat me with a baseball bat.

I am jealous of those of you who can ride year round. I rode every day this week until this morning. The weather Chanel is predicting a 100% chance of rain, mixed with snow. Up to 2" possible by tomorrow morning. SHIT!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be interested to see how many ride to work daily, or if not daily, how often, and how far.

I ride 130 miles each day through three counties. The first ten miles is through the city (Tallahassee Fla.) Then twenty miles to the coast (Gulf of Mexico). Then the remainder is along the coast road to my job site. I've been doing this for the last three years on several different bikes (FJ 1200 was the last). I carry a rain suit and have a change of boots at my office. It takes a blizzard to force me to use my truck. Last time that happened here was in 1985. Snowed about a quarter inch. Does rain a lot though. Bought the FJR in August 06. Got just under 7000 miles to date. Ride more than I post.

8 mile round trip for me.

Commute everyday on the FJR.

20,000 on my 05 mostly from commuting to and from work.

I feel like I am the luckiest smuck alive.

No comments necessary.

Mark