Why do so few Riders wear riding pants or leathers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trmn8er

Reaction score
As we all know, stuff happens. We drop our bikes, we fall at low speed, god forbid we slide or impact at high speed. You hear it all the time. You hear it on this site, from a friend of a friend who crashed, and perhaps you have crashed at one time or another. I had an observation today while shopping at a GIANT Motorcycle Supermarket. I noticed there was a massive selection of riding jackets. I mean hundreds upon hundreds of different designs. Leather, Cordura, Textile, you name it, they had it. When I began riding, it did occur to me "I needed a good jacket for protection". Of coarse we all ride with a helmet. Gloves are mandatory to all with any common sense, yet so many of us (myself included) wear jeans for leg and butt protection. This was obvious when I looked at the selection in the store. Sure, there were riding pants, but I mean 1/100th the selection of the jackets. I asked the lady there (who has been selling Motorcycle Apparal for 18 years) why so few pants, and she told me VERY few riders wear proper riding pants compared to jackets. She claimed it is the #1 mistake in rider protection.

Next, I did a little reasearch on the subject, and according to the Motorcycle council of NSW;

Most riders wear a motorcycle jacket (97%) but fewer wear motorcycle pants (45%). This is despite the fact there is actually far more risk of injury to the legs than to the upper body or arms. Four out of five motorcycle casualties (81%) have injured their legs and a third have broken bones (32%). Arm injuries are less common (56%) and less likely to involve fractures (17%)".

So why is this? What is your reason for not wearing riding pants? I could care less if I piss you off. I would hope you all are wearing riding pants, and if you are not, you consider it. Obviously it's up to you. I bought a pair today. I've been riding for 28 years, and there is no excuse why I have failed to wear them. I hate hearing about skin grafts, surgery, and dead riders. Jeans offer no real protection. Please let me know your thoughts.

Guys and gals, check out this website for more data. There are other sites with very similar findings. Ride safe!

https://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

Last edited by a moderator:
As for pants -- I've added some 1mm chap leather to the inside of dress pants and jeans. Added to the seat, outside thigh area, and knee area. Costs about $40 at Tandy Leather Clicky enough to do lots of pants!

There are many , many reasons here are a few ; I am only going for a short ride, It wont happen to me. I am a safe driver, I am to tired to put hem on,I look funny in them, real bikers do not wear funny pants, get the picture and the list goes on and on and on and on............... :glare:

Most times I do not wear "riding pants"..but. do on occasion wear either leathers or the textile mesh pant. That said, I must point out that everyone is intitled to wear what they themselves feel comfortable in or with and , most with some brains do know what risks they are taking.

That is, as they say, my choice. Somedays have full leathers and some days I have jeans and a T shirt. I could only of course hope that if something goes wrong, it is on the day I have the leathers on....lol.

So, wear what ever protection you feel you need, and let us others make our own decisions on what we should or should not wear.

I have heard of folks losing skin off their legs , but have not heard of anyone who died because their legs lacked suitable protection. Even leather pants will not ensure your leg will not break anyway.

Helmets...yes

Gloves...yes

Jacket...Most times

Pants...only when I feel the need.(I must point out that I do always wear pants while riding, just not always armored ones)

KM

There are many , many reasons here are a few ; I am only going for a short ride, It wont happen to me. I am a safe driver, I am to tired to put hem on,I look funny in them, real bikers do not wear funny pants, get the picture and the list goes on and on and on and on............... :glare:
So do you wear them, and if not, what's your excuse? :rolleyes: All kidding aside, we all know the reasons, but hopefully we either are real lucky, or protect our entire body.

As for pants -- I've added some 1mm chap leather to the inside of dress pants and jeans. Added to the seat, outside thigh area, and knee area. Costs about $40 at Tandy Leather Clicky enough to do lots of pants!
And how will that protect you in an impact? Do you realize 1/2 of all accidents result in knee injury? Consider pants with protective plates and/or leathers...

dude-- do what you want.

just adding a cheap way to add some protection to street clothes. better some leather on the inside to reduce rash than some thin slacks with zero abrasion protection.

:eek:

Most times I do not wear "riding pants"..but. do on occasion wear either leathers or the textile mesh pant. That said, I must point out that everyone is intitled to wear what they themselves feel comfortable in or with and , most with some brains do know what risks they are taking.That is, as they say, my choice. Somedays have full leathers and some days I have jeans and a T shirt. I could only of course hope that if something goes wrong, it is on the day I have the leathers on....lol.

So, wear what ever protection you feel you need, and let us others make our own decisions on what we should or should not wear.

I have heard of folks losing skin off their legs , but have not heard of anyone who died because their legs lacked suitable protection. Even leather pants will not ensure your leg will not break anyway.

Helmets...yes

Gloves...yes

Jacket...Most times

Pants...only when I feel the need.(I must point out that I do always wear pants while riding, just not always armored ones)

KM

It's all your choice. It's on you what you wear. I just can't understand the logic of protecting 1/2 or the body, and not the other. We roll the dice every time we ride without proper gear. I've done it, we all have. I just thought it's really odd this part of the body is neglected so often even considering 81% of bike accidents result in injury in that part of the body. I am not stopping you from making your own choice. My intention was to point out the stats (that I just learned as well), and hopefully it will at least cause us all to consider wearing proper gear at ALL times. I'd hate to go down hard on a shorts and T-shirt day.

dude-- do what you want.
just adding a cheap way to add some protection to street clothes. better some leather on the inside to reduce rash than some thin slacks with zero abrasion protection.
Agreed. Some protection is always better than none.

and as for statistics -- motorcycles are safer than cars. why isn't there a helmet law for cars?

In Alabama in 2005, Vehicle fatalities -- 61 motorcycles per 1131 vehicle deaths, so just over 5% of vehicle deaths were on motorcycles, the other 95% were cagers.

check your state: clicky

I attended the WFO in Reno and it was my observation that the majority of the riders were fully protected (including riding pants on many). I think that proper riding gear is more prevelant among sport/touring and adventure riders than with other street/road riders.

I saw a fellow on a big Goldwing sitting at a stoplight today with shorts/tanktop/sneakers and no helmet (not unusual sight with that group) and I wondered what was going through his mind. Maybe people think that a big bike will offer them some protection.

I plan on saving up my change for a Kevlar riding suit: https://www.motoport.com/

Already have and use a couple of 1st gear suits. But I am guilty of taking short trips of a couple of miles w/o the proper gear - just like the fellow I referenced above.

and as for statistics -- motorcycles are safer than cars. why isn't there a helmet law for cars?
In Alabama in 2005, Vehicle fatalities -- 61 motorcycles per 1131 vehicle deaths, so just over 5% of vehicle deaths were on motorcycles, the other 95% were cagers.

check your state: clicky
And that relates how?

As we all know, stuff happens. We drop our bikes, we fall at low speed, god forbid we slide or impact at high speed. You hear it all the time. You hear it on this site, from a friend of a friend who crashed, and perhaps you have crashed at one time or another. I had an observation today while shopping at a GIANT Motorcycle Supermarket. I noticed there was a massive selection of riding jackets. I mean hundreds upon hundreds of different designs. Leather, Cordura, Textile, you name it, they had it. When I began riding, it did occur to me "I needed a good jacket for protection". Of coarse we all ride with a helmut. Gloves are mandatory to all with any common sense, yet so many of us (myself included) wear jeans for leg and butt protection. This was obvious when I looked at the selection in the store. Sure, there were riding pants, but I mean 1/100th the selection of the jackets. I asked the lady there (who has been selling Motorcycle Apparal for 18 years) why so few pants, and she told me VERY few riders wear proper riding pants compared to jackets. She claimed it is the #1 mistake in rider protection.
<SNIP>
Interestingly, I'm starting to do research on a pair of pants that I can wear over my slacks. 90% of the reason is that I'm putting a lot more miles on the bike now. My old commute was 4-5 miles on surface streets, but now it's 50 miles each way, mostly freeway, some lane splitting. I don't necessarily feel more exposed, but it seems the wise move. (Yes, I know surface streets are higher risk, but there ya go.)

We'll see if I wear them when I'm riding "casually" or not. Normally, and for many years, I've only worn jeans. Wrecked at as high of a speed as 70 and never had any injuries to my lower body. (1) (I do always wear mid-calf riding boots.) Helmet, gloves, jacket are always items. Boots are mostly always. I only give them a miss when I ride the bike to lunch from the office. It's a risk, but not too bad of one, IMHO.

Bob

Huntington Beach, CA

(1) Not entirely true. I fell off a horse once and had a dinner-plate sized bruise on my thigh.

So why is this? What is your excuse for not wearing riding pants? Read the facts above. I could care less if I piss you off. I would hope you all are wearing riding pants, and if you are not, you consider it.
a) Because you're not my Mommy. And because the folks that find religion all of a sudden and decide to wear pants tend to come off as condescending.

b ) Because I make a conscious choice every day to balance my own personal risk, enjoyment, and protection equation.

c) I don't want to schvitz on the way to work right before that big meeting with my client, boss, or to visit the girl friend.

d) I do wear pants a majority of my riding time...which is on longer rides. Commuting is a smaller portion of my riding time. See reason b.

e) I'm wary of people that obsess about one set of statistics like it's suddenly a revelation and must evangelize to the world and pick at them if they don't agree.

Moving thread to its correct area.

As we all know, stuff happens. We drop our bikes, we fall at low speed, god forbid we slide or impact at high speed.
What's this "we" shit white man......I didn't spend 12K to fuckin drop my ride in a parking lot or any other way. There's a reaon they say shit happens....cuz when it does....it does. Judge your surroundings. Judge your ride and the distance you plan to ride. If you plan to break your fucking kneecap in 10 different places 20 different ways in 30 miles, plan accordingly, but, here's a thought, how about paying attention, don't **** up, because you are smart enough to *****anticipate***** action from other idiots out there.

***DISCLAIMER****

If you are an idiot, you will soon be scraped up as such

***/DISCLAIMER***

Look like the Michelin man in August and feel completely "safe"(good luck), or, ride your scooter, use the force, and enjoy.

Peace, grease, and ass cheeks,

killer

I attended the WFO in Reno and it was my observation that the majority of the riders were fully protected (including riding pants on many). I think that proper riding gear is more prevelant among sport/touring and adventure riders than with other street/road riders.
I saw a fellow on a big Goldwing sitting at a stoplight today with shorts/tanktop/sneakers and no helmet (not unusual sight with that group) and I wondered what was going through his mind. Maybe people think that a big bike will offer them some protection.

I plan on saving up my change for a Kevlar riding suit: https://www.motoport.com/

Already have and use a couple of 1st gear suits. But I am guilty of taking short trips of a couple of miles w/o the proper gear - just like the fellow I referenced above.
I believe that. I can see the ST group being more safety minded and experienced than say a 16 YO on a crotch rocket. Sad to say, but that group may be the one that needs the most protection. Hmmmm...

A case of "sufficient pants" vs. "insufficient pants".

All of life you are faced with the decision of just where the dividing line is and if you should cross it.

So why is this? What is your excuse for not wearing riding pants? Read the facts above. I could care less if I piss you off. I would hope you all are wearing riding pants, and if you are not, you consider it.
a) Because you're not my Mommy. And because the folks that find religion all of a sudden and decide to wear pants tend to come off as condescending.

b ) Because I make conscious choice every day to balance my own personal risk, enjoyment, and protection equation.

c) I don't want to schvitz on the way to work right before that big meeting with my client, boss, or to visit the girl friend.

d) I do a majority of my riding time...which is on longer rides. Commuting is a smaller portion of my riding time.

e) I'm wary of people that obsess about one set of statistics like it's suddenly a revelation and must evangelize to the world.

Moving thread to its correct area.
Wow. I guess you really told me! You clearly missed the point. With all your incredible wit, this obviously was not for such an experienced and wise being such as yourself. Sheeeesh...

As we all know, stuff happens. We drop our bikes, we fall at low speed, god forbid we slide or impact at high speed.
What's this "we" shit white man......I didn't spend 12K to fuckin drop my ride in a parking lot or any other way. There's a reaon they say shit happens....cuz when it does....it does. Judge your surroundings. Judge your ride and the distance you plan to ride. If you plan to break your fucking kneecap in 10 different places 20 different ways in 30 miles, plan accordingly, but, here's a thought, how about paying attention, don't **** up, because you are smart enough to *****anticipate***** action from other idiots out there.

***DISCLAIMER****

***/DISCLAIMER***

Look like the Michelin man in August and feel completely "safe"(good luck), or, ride your scooter, use the force, and enjoy.

killer
Actally, I'm Black tough guy. Go have a beer and chill.

***DISCLAIMER****

***/DISCLAIMER***

killer
Jesus....lighten up Francis! :blink:

FWIW, I wear Nylon overpants from 30 degrees to about 75 degrees....on EVERY ride.

Over 75 I switch to vented or "mesh" pants until 90+ degrees or so.

above 90? forget it. Just too hot to wear overpants AND jeans. Tried the "shorts under the riding pants" thing. Uh uh. The inside of the mesh pants rubbed my legs raw. I prolly could've gotten the same affect by just crashing. :lol: :rolleyes:

***DISCLAIMER****

***/DISCLAIMER***

killer
Jesus....lighten up Francis! :blink:

FWIW, I wear Nylon overpants from 30 degrees to about 75 degrees....on EVERY ride.

Over 75 I switch to vented or "mesh" pants until 90+ degrees or so.

above 90? forget it. Just too hot to wear overpants AND jeans. Tried the "shorts under the riding pants" thing. Uh uh. The inside of the mesh pants rubbed my legs raw. I prolly could've gotten the same affect by just crashing. :lol: :rolleyes:
Lighten up indeed! Randy, I hear ya on the heat. It's over 100 here for two to three months a year, and I don't want to gear up either. Maybe I'll avoid riding the really hot days.