Why do so few Riders wear riding pants or leathers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually....I think it is an interesting question....@ WFO Penny & I were both in full gear.....(we rode 2500 miles to get there).....& @ home....she's definitely the smarter of the 2 of us :eek: & 99.9% of the time wears full gear....yet around town & short rides I just wear a jacket & jeans :huh: .....& being a semiretired racer....I know better yet still don't wear full gear :dribble: (we both have full street & race leathers, 2 sets of textile gear etc)....& yet couldn't honestly tell you why not.....sort makes you go ummmmmmm doesn't it....

Jesus....lighten up Francis! :blink:
FWIW, I wear Nylon overpants from 30 degrees to about 75 degrees....on EVERY ride.

Over 75 I switch to vented or "mesh" pants until 90+ degrees or so.

above 90? forget it. Just too hot to wear overpants AND jeans. Tried the "shorts under the riding pants" thing. Uh uh. The inside of the mesh pants rubbed my legs raw. I prolly could've gotten the same affect by just crashing. :lol: :rolleyes:

We've had 36 of 46 days over 100. I think I'd rather die than wear protective pants. Got 117 on the readout while in a parking lot for 10 minutes. Everyone hates the fact I keep calling out the temp at each stop light :clapping: Frankly, Ichanged the sucker to instant readout just to avoid the reality of it all. Looking forward to December

Killer, not Francis B)

Geez. If someone is SOOOO concerned for safety and insuring nothing bad ever happens to them...

Buy a Volvo.

and as for statistics -- motorcycles are safer than cars. why isn't there a helmet law for cars?
In Alabama in 2005, Vehicle fatalities -- 61 motorcycles per 1131 vehicle deaths, so just over 5% of vehicle deaths were on motorcycles, the other 95% were cagers.

check your state: clicky

I am hoping here you are just making the point that one can "bend" statistics to favor ones view. The stat that says "Four out of five motorcycle casualties (81%) have injured their legs and a third have broken bones (32%). " is not really clear what they mean by 'motorcycle casualties'. ..If it said "fatalities" it be even more amusing. ("Yes , he broke both legs...but his neck was broken too...) And there is no figure stating how many of those "casualties' were wearing protective pants and were injured in spite of them.

Beacuse saying motorcyles are safer than cars is perhaps the stupidest thing I ever read here.....

KM

They probably wouldn't be interested in new orleans hookers, either. Squares....no fun at all.

and as for statistics -- motorcycles are safer than cars. why isn't there a helmet law for cars?

In Alabama in 2005, Vehicle fatalities -- 61 motorcycles per 1131 vehicle deaths, so just over 5% of vehicle deaths were on motorcycles, the other 95% were cagers.

I am hoping here you are just making the point that one can "bend" statistics to favor ones view. The stat that says "Four out of five motorcycle casualties (81%) have injured their legs and a third have broken bones (32%). " is not really clear what they mean by 'motorcycle casualties'. ..If it said "fatalities" it be even more amusing. ("Yes , he broke both legs...but his neck was broken too...) And there is no figure stating how many of those "casualties' were wearing protective pants and were injured in spite of them.

Beacuse saying motorcyles are safer than cars is perhaps the stupidest thing I ever read here.....

KM

KM
Not even close. May I suggest a visit to the sidestand topic?
Statistics is the art of proving whatever point you want to make with whatever data is readily available.

Understanding is the mathematical art of putting one and one together.

........sort makes you go ummmmmmm doesn't it....
Well, okay, I'll try it! Ummmmmmmmm! Not doin' it for me. Let's try, "Ohmmmmmm". Nope that doesn't help. Now what?

I "suit-up" 99.9% of the time. I do ride to church (1 mile) with no riding pants and I've ben known to ride to the store (1 mile) w/o riding pants. Other than that, fully covered. BUT that's my "personal" choice.

[SIZE=8pt]Oops, that was #1,999. looks like I'll join Bounce.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
To me it depends on the temp, if it's below 70 I wear chaps, otherwise jeans work well. I've gone down wearing them with no ill effects to those body parts , the parts that were protected by gloves,jacket and helmet got banged up .. go figure

And that relates how?
It is another example of how little value there is in quoting statistics. This 5% statistic is just as valid as the statistics you quoted at the top of the thread. lol

It is another example of how little value there is in quoting statistics. This 5% statistic is just as valid as the statistics you quoted at the top of the thread. lol
Geezer I disagree. Statistics are very helpful...well except for the 40% that are made up on the spot. :)

As for riding pants I wear Joe Rocket Ballistic. When riding in hot weather I find them cooler than jeans. They seem to block much of the heat from the bike. I don't mean to say I am comfortably cool just more comfortable than with jeans. I discovered this last summer down in the southern U.S. where it was way, way hot!

I also took a little tumble on a VFR recently and tore the knee of my pants. I am sure I wouldn't have been a fatality had I not had protection but I would have had a very sore knee; instead only a bruise.

Also I would like to ask the moderators to give Francis ("killer") some information on Forum ettiquette. He just got here and uses his first few post to rip another member.

gypsy

Next, I did a little reasearch on the subject, and according to the Motorcycle council of NSW;Most riders wear a motorcycle jacket (97%) but fewer wear motorcycle pants (45%). This is despite the fact there is actually far more risk of injury to the legs than to the upper body or arms. Four out of five motorcycle casualties (81%) have injured their legs and a third have broken bones (32%). Arm injuries are less common (56%) and less likely to involve fractures (17%)".

So why is this? What is your reason for not wearing riding pants?
In my case, I have a pair of Ballistic pants that I wear in cooler weather, rain, etc., almost without fail. However, I can't find a pair of mesh pants that fit me, and ordering blindly off the 'Net in the past has been disasterous when it comes to sizing and fit, regardless of what the sizing charts say. So, I wear the Ballistics until it's about 90 degrees, then I forego.

best option? Of course not. But it factors in with *my* level of "acceptable risk", and of course my super-extraordinary riding abilities (that part's a joke before all the "experts" jump in and rip me).

Believe me, I visit every place I can find in search of well-fitting mesh or air-flow pants. I'm short and not terribly thin, so fitting is iffy. :(

I ride and suit up 99.9% of the time.

No one belives stats until they become one just ask a dead person he will never know

weekend rider :yahoo: