Why should I buy a Garmin over using my smartphone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dear Santa Claus,

If you can't get me a heated Laam seat (do your elves work with Seth in his shop?), please consider an Android 10- or 11-inch tablet. Maybe one that you didn't give out last Christmas with a LOT of memory, please?

I could mount it on my dashboard shelf, and run Google Maps with Gas Buddy and Spotwalla/Bubbler and my NOAA weather radar and maybe stream Georgia Tech football. The screen would be big enough for me to read stuff, even when displaying the map and weather simultaneously. The extra memory could handle a lot of music, and podcasts would download directly into the tablet.

My behavior has been exemplary so far in 2016, and the tablet would really create the single-screen cockpit display I've been dreaming about for years.

Thanks, man!

Your pal,
Uncle Hud

PS: I can supply a one-gallon baggie to keep the rain off.

Last edited by a moderator:
With 2016's OBD II port and the Torque app, you should be able to create your own glass cockpit by running split screen on your tablet, displaying graphical speed/odo/tach/fuel, together with the GPS map:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torquefree

5IUqbkB.jpg

Using the smart phone more and more...

and the sun... Rises in the east, sets in the west.

I tried a Nuvi 67 this week to see if I could actually see the screen in the bright sun. No good even at max brightness. I have now ordered an X mount for my iPhone 6 plus to see if that will work in the sun. If this doesn't work I guess I will be investing in the Zumo 660LM. Looks like a lot of members have them and they perform well. Once I get a nav unit I will be ready to make my first trip ever. As some of you know I just bought this FJR this month and want to work on my bucket list while I can still ride. I am planning a trip to the Smokies sometime in October before the weather turns cold and icy.

Using the smart phone more and more...
and the sun... Rises in the east, sets in the west.
Well, when the sun rises at all due to persistent overcast or rain, or in the case of Ontario, rises in the southeast, sets in the southwest. It's not as reliable to be gazing at the sun, or a phone that has no signal. If you only ride where you have a cell signal, too bad.

This thread is getting repetitive. Some of us see the value in using the GPS as a primary navigator with backup by maps and smartphone, and others either don't go anywhere, or are satisfied with using a phone. I'm going to also suggest that on a trip, something will fail. Your earbuds, phone, GPS, BT comm unit; something may go wrong. You need a backup plan in addition to your primary navigation/entertainment option.

I tried a Nuvi 67 this week to see if I could actually see the screen in the bright sun. No good even at max brightness. I have now ordered an X mount for my iPhone 6 plus to see if that will work in the sun. If this doesn't work I guess I will be investing in the Zumo 660LM. Looks like a lot of members have them and they perform well. Once I get a nav unit I will be ready to make my first trip ever. As some of you know I just bought this FJR this month and want to work on my bucket list while I can still ride. I am planning a trip to the Smokies sometime in October before the weather turns cold and icy.
I use an X-Mount for my iPhone, with the little rubber spider web that you can buy to ensure that the phone never vibrates out of the mount. I have no issues with the screen and I don't run it at full brightness. You'll obviously want to adjust it to avoid glare, but overall brightness is great.

I use an anti-glare film. Not perfect but it helps.

I don't miss a thing using an iPhone. No downside for me (and I have two dedicated gps units, I just don't use them). But like TominPA says, i'd never go on a trip with just one device. Or just one power source. I always carry two configured iPhones and a juice box, just in case.

I have a dozen paper maps in the port-side hardcase. If it's a new state for me, I stop at the visitor center and get a new map.

They don't replace the Garmin or the iPhone running Google Maps, but the paper ones never need wifi or cell service.

I have a dozen paper maps in the port-side hardcase. If it's a new state for me, I stop at the visitor center and get a new map.
They don't replace the Garmin or the iPhone running Google Maps, but the paper ones never need wifi or cell service.
I do the same thing, collecting maps from visitor centers. I like having them along so once in a while I can get the big-picture view of where I am/will be. Maybe it's just me but I sometimes have a hard time with N/E/S/W on the little screens especially in the mtns with the twistyturny roads and lack of sun.

I carry the DeLorme topo maps for the state of my destination. It's fun to see the whole picture ... literally. I love being able to look at curves and views on the scale of those DeLorme books.

Lost my personal iphone, which gets almost no use except as a backup to my work iphone. which is used for everything, including nav. Struggling with whether to replace or not. I hate not having a backup, but at around $850 a year, taking a minute to think before I order a 7. I'm not under contract, and while I never use it, I own a GPS.... My cell/data usage on my personal phone looks like it's been in a drawer since I bought it. Makes paper maps look smart.

Lost my personal iphone, which gets almost no use except as a backup to my work iphone. which is used for everything, including nav. Struggling with whether to replace or not. I hate not having a backup, but at around $850 a year, taking a minute to think before I order a 7. I'm not under contract, and while I never use it, I own a GPS.... My cell/data usage on my personal phone looks like it's been in a drawer since I bought it. Makes paper maps look smart.
Ya might wanta check out Google's Project fi...

https://fi.google.com/about/

I am far too frugal to pay normal prices and monthly usage fees for the latest smart phone. I just bought an Iphone 5S from Trac Fone with a package of minutes, texts, and data for a total of about $300 good for a year. Since I never ran out of minutes on my old Trac Fone I expect this will last me at least the year and probably a couple more years with annual refills.

Not my bike, but I did the same thing. That's a Tylt inductive charger. Keeps the phone secure, while charging.

IjdI6bxl.jpg

pSJikW2l.jpg

Use CoPilot with offline maps. Easy enough to find a cheap old smart phone.

Not my bike, but I did the same thing. That's a Tylt inductive charger. Keeps the phone secure, while charging.
IjdI6bxl.jpg

pSJikW2l.jpg

Use CoPilot with offline maps. Easy enough to find a cheap old smart phone.
I love wireless charging. I've used it for my phones for years. Even converted my iPhone to wireless charging. However, I'm curious if that particular charger is waterproof or if it had to be modified to be sealed or something. I'm also curious as to how it stands up to rough roads as far as device security goes.

I love wireless charging. I've used it for my phones for years. Even converted my iPhone to wireless charging. However, I'm curious if that particular charger is waterproof or if it had to be modified to be sealed or something. I'm also curious as to how it stands up to rough roads as far as device security goes.
I bought another J&M condom that I slip over the charger when weather is a factor or when I'm washing the bike. Expensive for what it is, but it is the perfect size. https://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-JCB03-RRCV

As far as device security, I've never had an issue in two years with the setup. I live in Michigan, so you can rest assured I've driven on some rough roads. Gary hasn't either with his (the bike pictured above). I do periodically squeeze it together during my ride just to be sure, but it has never come loose.

If you're interested, stem mount you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-1300-Replacement-Stem-Mount/dp/B00HNFRI6Y

And the charger.

https://www.tylt.com/vu-car-wireless-charger/

I left it plugged into the 12V port in the glove box for a while, but then eventually ran another socket under the seat and that's where it sits now.