Wilbers shock replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
I have an 05 FJR and love it so far, even tho living in Oregon does not let me put many miles on it between Nov and Mar, except for the infrequent drier days. I am curious about the oft mentioned references to the Wilbers shock and would like some idea of how much this upgrade means to the handling of the bike. I like higher speed sweepers and twisties and ride about 3/4 of the time alone, the balance with my wife and a bit of gear. Appreciate anyones comments!

how can I spell this out.....uhh....H U G E....

get the 5 way adjustable if you take her on any long adventures. I loaded the FJR down with FULL saddlebags, FULL topbox, FULL tankbag and girlfriend....we took off andthe handling up my old familiar fast twisty road and it scared the both of us....spent the night after our first stop and made adjustments all around ....the next day we were back to taking the high speed sweepers at 90-100 with no worries.

Get the springs also ...It's a great set.

Steve

I thought the handling was good on the stock stuff untill I put on the Wilbers shock and springs. What a difference. You can set it up to the correct preload and then tweek it for highspeed sweepers and low speed switchbacks and you are like on rails. Big Plus in my book

DRJFJR

The stock shock goes so slow you dont realize til its shot and you have to replace it as it cant be rebuilt as with the Wilbers as a couple have said what a difference it makes when you first ride it with the new shock and springs. Mine had about 35,000 miles when I had mine replaced at the 2nd Tech West in May last year, hope they have one this year.

rogerfjrfaster :D

I thought the handling was good on the stock stuff untill I put on the Wilbers shock and springs. What a difference. You can set it up to the correct preload and then tweek it for highspeed sweepers and low speed switchbacks and you are like on rails. Big Plus in my bookDRJFJR
That's the key. Unless you take care of both front and rear you are not getting all the potential out of it. Problem with a touring bike is the diffrent weight it has to handle. You and the SO + bags. Or your lonesome self on a Sunday back road ride. Or you with full bags. Or...... A lot of compromising for those same springs....

Last edited by a moderator:
I put Ohlins 46PRCS rear and matching springs in front. Also took it down to Racetech in Corona CA for the install. They added their gold series compression and rebound kits to the forks. It rides great. Sometime I would like to ride another stock bike to compare it again. The bike really feels planted on the ground. Rides way smoother too.

The other day I was on a ride at night and noticed how still the headlight was as it shined on the Van in front of me. Even through the bumps or dips it is very quick to recover and get back to steady. No more getting tensed for the impact of a change in pavement. I feel way safer!

FJR without the Wilbers----

HJIKY-Wreck.JPG

FJR with the Wilbers---

wheelie_h.jpg

Can't say for the FJR YET, but I redid the suspension on the VFR and it felt I had gone out and bought a new bike. Given how crappy the FJR handles at speed with worn out stockers, I can only imagine the wonderful difference when my shock and springs arive.

Good. Really good. Even the ride is amazing. Firm, so you feel the road really well, but the toss-you-off-the-seat bumps, the real spine-jolters magically vanish.

I went with the full Wilbers treatment.....springs up front and the #643 shock in the rear. I'm continually amazed at the transformation it made in my '05. How it can be both very firm and planted, and yet so very smooth over the nasty stuff just blows my mind. It's magical stuff.

When the stocker wears out it'll be like you're on a pogo stick.

The difference is just night and day,but be sure to get the front fork springs also .They are much beefier then the stockers.It's worth upgrading.

I went with the full Wilbers treatment.....springs up front and the #643 shock in the rear. I'm continually amazed at the transformation it made in my '05. How it can be both very firm and planted, and yet so very smooth over the nasty stuff just blows my mind. It's magical stuff.
That's what I was trying to say. I did the springs as well.

OK you guys sold me thats why I ordered both 640 shock and springs. Did you do install at home? Shock looks fairly simple, what about fork spring install?

OK you guys sold me thats why I ordered both 640 shock and springs. Did you do install at home? Shock looks fairly simple, what about fork spring install?
No more involved than a fluid change.

I was lazy and had Ivan at Ivan's Performance Products do it for me. He also put in the Spiegler discs and did a custom map.

Lazy and do NOT have the time to work on bikes anymore.. :angry:

Be aware: When you order it, expect it to take up to 4 months to receive it. If you're not extremely patient, you will get super-pissed at how long it takes. If you order it TODAY, you'll be lucky to get it by May 1st. Just be prepared for that, so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

If you can handle the wait, you'll be delighted with the results.

I was lazy and had Ivan at Ivan's Performance Products do it for me.  He also put in the Spiegler discs and did a custom map.
Lazy and do NOT have the time to work on bikes anymore.. :angry:

Be aware: When you order it, expect it to take up to 4 months to receive it.  If you're not extremely patient, you will get super-pissed at how long it takes.  If you order it TODAY, you'll be lucky to get it by May 1st.  Just be prepared for that, so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

If you can handle the wait, you'll be delighted with the results.
It's my understanding this was due to:

1) wait period for order accumulation, resulting in

2) all orders hitting at once

These orders are being placed daily, and not in quantities that will overwhelm the builders.