Wild Bill Highway Pegs Strike Again

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oddly, I'm not really hurtin at all. All those years of ju-jutsu helped me learn to fall, roll, and relax when being tossed like a rag doll.
Or maybe its all the practice you get bustin' yer azz on the feej! :p :D :biggrinsmiley:

Really man you and me gotta give that shit up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, Keith that sucks big time.... :eek: Sorry about your mishap amigo. But I sure am glad you walked away from it. ;)

Stef

Oh yeah, get rid of your F*ing W.B. highway pegs. This is the same shit that happened to Jim Meadows (Spklbuk) if I recall correctly.
It did, you do and I wholeheartedly agree. Glad you are up and about to tell the tale. Damn you sure are hard on FJRs. Try and keep the Blackbird rubber side down OK..

I too thought everything was fine well into the turn. Some super action heroes (those who have zero riding faults) will think that you just didn't take the turn right. I have been convinced since the moment first looked at my bike after setting it up that I would have easily made the turn had the highway brackets not been there.
I guess I'm one of those "super action heroes" because I don't understand.

Our friend, OrangevaleFJR, gave me a new nickname a couple of years ago, "Old Sparky", when he followed me across Hwy 36 in NorCal (The one with the sign TWN uses as his avatar) because I was dragging my foot pegs while leaned over in turns and trailing 3 feet of sparks from the feelers. My Wild Bill pegs didn't touch! I have "buried" the right one on a closing radius, 180 degree, uphill corner on Hwy 108 on the Eastern slope of the Sierras because an RV coming the other way crowded me. I'll admit I was a bit "hot" in the corner and ground it pretty hard but I was only going 20-25 mph because I KNOW those corners are tricky and treacherous, so I didn't have the speed necessary to lever the bike...or I was very lucky. It didn't bend the Wild Bill bracket but it ground the corner of the solid piece pretty good. I'll be at NAFO so anyone can see for themselves.

I still say the safest bet is taking them off when riding aggressively. I'm just not sure that is the complete problem because in my short and limited experience....because I'm not that skilled a rider and normally don't ride THAT fast (cue horse-laugh from Cdogman and dcarver)....it hasn't been an issue on sweepers.

The best news is that Keith was able to walk away.

Dude, that blows hairy Donkey Kong. Sorry about the bike, but certainly glad you are OK. As bad as this is, remember, getting seriously hurt is much, much worse. A car coming the other way, and you may not have been lucky enough to post the pictures. Thank God it was only metal and plastic.

Time for a fresh bike! And leave those things off. I never thought they were a good idea. Suspension or not, riding over different roads and conditions is very variable and dynamic. Because you didn't touch them down in one spot doesn't mean you cant somewhere else. Think about it: road crown, elevation changes, etc. can make all the difference.

Once again, glad you are unscathed and with us!

-BD

Just to get this clear....
If one is going to go "SPORT-touring" (like really on the sport side of riding with extreme lean angles and pushing the limits in corners and exceeding the speed limits) one should REMOVE the travel pegs or anything else that protrudes, thus limits cornering clearance.

If one is going to go "sport-touring" (where it is unlikely the limits will be approached but semi-aggressive cornering at 60%-80% is likely) the travel pegs are not likely to present an issue.

If one is going to go "sport-TOURING" (a step above "touring" with moderate cornering, yet enjoying a more leisurely pace and stopping for photo opportunities and scenic viewing) then there is no issue with the travel pegs.

At least that's what I think I'm reading here.
Now that just makes sense.. very well put...

Fracking cable has been buggered all day and couldn't post until now so here goes......

While I have only ever met IndianaTom once (at EOM no less) he only lives a couple hours from me and I was very happy to be able to head down there to help out. Or, at least get a free hot dog.

Up with the crack of wife at o'dark 30 as I had to meet these clowns down in Louisville (from just south of Cincinnati) at 8am and I had to stop in Lexington first to drop something off. Nice to meet people at 8am knowning you've already had a couple hours of riding in. :p

Couldn't help stopping to snag this horrible pic of a beautiful sunrise...

IT1.JPG

We met just over the bridge from Louisville on the Indi side and after a couple quick hello's and bike gawking we promptly headed out. I've never been down to this part of Indi but the roads were fantastic. The only two I remember are 66 and 37 but just about everything we went on was excellent. Keith led most of the way at a decently spirited pace and we were blessed with minimal traffic, clear skies, no LEO's and virtually no wildlife (one spotting) or gravel to be seen. Other than the insane humidity it was a near perfect riding day.

We made our first stop at a nice pinic area near the river and grabbed a couple pics...

Chris, capturing the moment...

IT3.JPG

Me, capturing Keith in the moment as he's about to use his camera to capture the moment. Was a nice moment.

IT4.JPG

So, quick route discussion and we decided to head to one more spot before heading up to Tom's as we were making great time according to our Cruise Director Keith. Backtracking a bit through a very nice twisty section on 66 and one of those straights that allow you to entertain the upper regions of the FJR's speedo we were clipping along with minimal traffic and having a blast. Once on route 37 which was more sweeper oriented (mMmmmmm...fun) we head down a decent straight into what looks like a fairly open right hand sweeper.

This is looking essentially from the middle of the crash corner back at the approach

IT5.JPG

I was about midway down the straight above in #3 when Chris in #2 entered the corner so as I got there as Keith had just stood up from his slide, roll, tuck, pivot, flop, 7.4 from the Russian judge get off. Chris had parked up past the site so I quickly pulled a uturn and parked my bike mid corner so any approaching traffic would see it and slow down.

After a quick assessment of Keith and making sure there were no pieces of the bike in the road or his ass I just snapped off about 60 pics of the site.

Standing in the road you can see my bike about mid corner. Looking at the road you can clearly see his hardparts dragging. You'll see 4 distinct lines (rider peg, highway peg, tire and slider I believe)

IT7.JPG

Further in showing all scrapes plus final resting place...

IT8.JPG

This is about where he went into the grass looking back at the corner..

IT12.JPG

The happy couple (notice the lack of exhaust). He kept talking about this how this bitch would just lay down with an open pipe and how she had 4 different YSR50's from 3 different riders. I knew he must have banged his head.

IT9.JPG

Just before we picked her up..

IT10.JPG

On the tree....

IT26.JPG

Other than pieces of his bike along the way you'd never have guess his bike traveled this far from the corner...

IT11.JPG

Supervising..

IT13.JPG

:-(

IT14.JPG

After we picked it up and rolled it to the nearest tree

IT126.JPG

Thought this was strange...Look at the grass in the tire bead and you'll also notice how the brake line exploded.

IT31.JPG

Broken muffler mount

IT30.JPG

Broken sub frame....

IT29.JPG

Only minor rashing on his Mesh pants. The jacket took most of the damage and no marks on his helmet at all.

IT28.JPG

The highway peg. Notice how ground down it is. The right side slider did it's job as the right (aside from the upper) fairing was untouched believe it or not. However the highway peg is ground down considerably.

IT27.JPG

We decided to stash all the pieces in the bushes and roll the bike down the hill out of sight from the road and just stand it against another tree. Keith would come back for it later with a truck. Even though in the pic it looks like it's in plain sight from the road you can't see it sitting there.

IT15.JPG

IT16.JPG

Gearing back up, Keith got to ride bitch with Chris as we continued up to Tom's for a free hot...er...to help out around the house. Worthy of the side show $1 admission right alongside the Leopard Man, The guy with 3 nuts, the Bearded Lady and FJRFencer, I present you the two headed biker...

IT17.JPG

We arrived at Tom's to see a ton of people milling about doing various jobs to the house and literally as we are getting gear off this facking nutter on the left shows up from down south....what a fricken willy. ;-P

IT18.JPG

Pretty maidens all in a row..

IT20.JPG

Chris did an excellent 3 hour wash job on Tom's Bike..

IT21.JPG

We got recruited to go down to, "the creek" and find a water pump which feeds the pond in the front of the house as it was supposedly not working any longer. Of course the spot where the creek and the pump were located was at least a couple hundred yards away so off we went. I elected Keith to dig around in the creek as he had crashed so naturally he should feel obligated. :)

Of course, big J went in with him....

IT23.JPG

In there somewhere...

IT24.JPG

Nope, still don't have it...

IT25.JPG

Aside from the "incident" it was a great day and it was awesome to meet some new FJR friends along the way. Of course we were seriously glad Keith was fine and very much appreciated the fact that he crashed in the shade (thanks again dood!). We fixed a few things here and there, cleaned a few things, ate a few things and it was good. I'm sure when Tom gets on the boards next we'll have a post asking who put all the swirl marks in his bike, broke his toilet, cracked the unused water heater pipe, got his tractor hung up on the tree stump, stole his pond water pump and put all the garage door openers in backwards. But we'll still feel good knowing we set aside a few hours to help out a fellow biker who will never have to say thank you. Because there was a free hot dog in it of course. :)

Good on all ya.

is that Jwilly?

Keith, did you have insurance this time? Glad you were ok.

Does anyone remember my camera mount position at EOM 06?

I had it attached to a skyway Alum slider. After a days riding the "Snake" , I discovered not only my pegs, centerstand and kickstand were draging, but my camera mount on the slider as well. The mount stuck out about 2 inches from the slider. This position is a lot higher up than the WB position. I think it's very likely you were lifted by the WB pegs.

Jebus, Keith... You are hereby and hereafter known as 'The FJR Killer'. It took you three shots, but you finally killed the beast. Glad it didn't take you with it.

R.I.P. FJR.

Keith,

This makes me sick... but glad you are fine. Hate to ask this, but what tires were on you bike?

I had something similar happen to me when I was riding on the highway and when I went into the exit sweep, the rear (tire was going flat and did not know it) tire just kicked out and down I went on my 750 Seca.

Glad you are OK and at least still have the Blackbird!

Oh yeah, get rid of your F*ing W.B. highway pegs. This is the same shit that happened to Jim Meadows (Spklbuk) if I recall correctly.
i personally wouldn't go that far. i'd qualify it based on riding style. i've had my WB pegs since they first became available and never touched them down. but then i've never touched down the oem pegs either on the FJR (did all the time on the Wings).

it's good to know and make an educated purchase about though.

glad you're okay.

Man..so sorry to see this Keith. I'm glad you are okay...as you slid ACROSS the oncoming lane. :clapping:

I'm especially glad that you all were able to help IndianaTom's family. That must have been a real encouragement to them. GET WELL SOON TOM!

Lastly...Adrian, that is funny commentary right there. :lol:

Yep...That's JWilly. He made the 6+hour trip up (and back) from GA to go wading in IndianaTom's pond in search of a lost pump.

I think he gets this year's "Most Charitable Miles in 24 Hours" award.

After leaving Tom's, JWilly, Bill, and I went back to the Crash site. Bill then had to get back to his family, and broke off.

JWilly and I had a great run back to Louisville on the Ohio River Scenic Byway. :yahoo: No matter how hard I tried, just couldn't shake him!

Gearing back up, Keith got to ride bitch with Chris as we continued up to Tom's for a free hot...er...to help out around the house. Worthy of the side show $1 admission right alongside the Leopard Man, The guy with 3 nuts, the Bearded Lady and FJRFencer, I present you the two headed biker...
IT17.JPG
[SIZE=10pt]Funny Stuff, Adrian. [/SIZE]

Just to clarify: When riding with a Bitch, I DO NOT ALLOW SPOONING!

Holy cow Keith! The most that I can say is... I am so happy that you're ok. WOW!

Them f'in pegs... well, I completely agree w/... who was it? Brundog, who said that you may not touch down 1 day... but might the next according to camber of road, etc.

I took mine off a few months ago for this reason & secondly, the reason that they breached the engine cover & caused leaked oil in a drop of my bike. I'm hoping for one day having a worthy replacement for these. I sure miss the utility that they provided. It just isn't worth the hassle that they potentially cause in a bad situation. As much as you hope & wish those situations don't happen, they do.

You just happen to have the dubious pleasure of being the 2nd person that I know personally, that this particular situation has happened to.

& on a completely different note. That is the way to show support for a fellow FJR rider. Big assed cudos to you guys.

So, the Blackbird will be getting a hell of a workout, eh?

Wow, glad to hear your OK Keith, your one very lucky guy.

Glad all of you were able to continue on & help out Tom & his family, way to go guys. :clapping:

.... A car coming the other way, and you may not have been lucky enough to post the pictures. ...
It looks to me that if you left the roadway about two feet to the left your family would be placing flowers by that tree.

I'm glad you're o.k.

Sorry to hear all of this. Glad you are okay!

As far as the speculation of the cause, I can't help but wonder about all of the variables.

I do have the WB pegs on my bike with the offsets. When first installing them I checked for leaning clearance and found they did indeed hit first, so.... I rotated the offsets forward and up until they were clear. It has since been road tested and the factory pegs scrape first, then the muffler but have not scraped the WB pegs.

Latest posts