Will I like the FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both bikes serve different purposes. I have both an 06 FJR and a 03 Aprilia Tuono. I enjoy both bikes a lot. When I am going out to play I take the Tuono. If I am going to work, riding two up, touring or running errands I take the FJR. They are both keepers.

Choose based on what you do most. If you usually ride locally without a pillion, mix it up in the twisties a lot and enjoy the advantages of a lightweight bike pick the FZ. If you ride two up quite a bit, want to do a lot of touring and want a very comfortable bike choose the FJR. The FJR handles extremely well and is very comfortable but it is still 200 pounds heavier than a true sport bike.

Both bikes serve different purposes. I have both an 06 FJR and a 03 Aprilia Tuono. I enjoy both bikes a lot. When I am going out to play I take the Tuono. If I am going to work, riding two up, touring or running errands I take the FJR. They are both keepers.
Choose based on what you do most. If you usually ride locally without a pillion, mix it up in the twisties a lot and enjoy the advantages of a lightweight bike pick the FZ. If you ride two up quite a bit, want to do a lot of touring and want a very comfortable bike choose the FJR. The FJR handles extremely well and is very comfortable but it is still 200 pounds heavier than a true sport bike.
My wife has an FZ6 and she is starting to not want to ride much anymore (once in the last 5 weeks and bike was the last time before that) so Im thinking she would like to ride on the back of an FJR more than the FZ1, I went out on a little 103 mile ride today on her FZ6 and it is a fun bike to play on but if she decides to stop riding all together than I would sell her FZ6 have both FZ1 and FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my Bandit 1200 to get an FJR last summer. I liked the FJR, but realized that I still liked the less weight and more sport-oreinted naked bikes, so I recently sold my FJR and got a Triumph Speed Triple. I don't regret it at all. The FJR is THE bike for commuting, and sporty touring, if only I had the time to do that...

The Triumph is a great back road blast, which I realized is where my heart was. Now if I could afford two bikes I never would have sold the FJR.

Mike

I own a new "06" FZ1 and absolutely love it. It's the very best bang for the buck IMO. I just turned 655 miles on mine and can really let her rip now. It's some serious fun in the twisties even using just half the power on hand.

As for the on/off throttle transition, it isn't a problem for me. It's way less pronounced than the ST1300 I came off of last year, and some new owners have said adding a PCIII controller makes it smooth as silk. The only thing I did was take all the slack out of the throttle cable and practice a little precise hand control when I get back on the gas. The bike works VERY well. You just have to respect all that power on tap.

As far as buying an 06 FZ1 over the 06 FJR. I don't really think there is any true comparison between the two. No contest if you are looking for protection from the elements and all day comfort. The FZ1 isn't even as comfortable as your 1st gen FZs so it depends on which way you want to go. More light weight sport riding ...the new FZ1 ...more comfort with many more touring luxuries built in ...no question the new FJR1300. I think the bottom end torque on the FJR won't leave you wanting much in the performance department either. You can still make this bike scream when you feel the need.

Bottom line ...the ONLY reason I went with the 06 FZ1 rather than the 06 FJR was the $$$ and the fact that my wife hasn't ever been on a bike so I do mostly solo riding in the back country.

Can I keep up with the sport bikes? I think this bike could, but there are guys (and girls) here that could out ride me on their FJRs. Technical stuff is more about the rider than the bike IMO. I'd give 'um hell coming up out of the turns into the strait stretches ...but I brake real early so not to scuff the knees in my new Fieldsheer mesh pants. :lol:

BTW ...I still have plans to own a new FJR someday. I just haven't figured out how to explain to the wife that I NEED both bikes. :rolleyes:

Roger

Repair Man- Tell your wife you need two bikes for safety's sake, hopefully she will buy it.

When my wife was complaining about the $90 a week I was spending on gas for the truck driving to work I made the smart assed comment that the savings in gas by riding a bike to work would just about make the payments.....within about a week I had my 03 FJR.....I still can't believe it... :blink:

Theres really only 2 issues that you wouldnt like about the FJR (06 model that is).

1. Engine heat (and that would be subjective according to the rider)
I don't even try to read the whole forum, but I've yet to read a complaint about heat on the 06. Is this heat issue from your personal experience?
yes, heat issue is from personal experience. Its a pretty touchy topic around here though. Some bikes are just known to project more heat on there pilots. The FJR is one of them. Yamaha has done a great job trying to reduce this with the 06 model, and has done so. But that said, if your used to riding a bike that dosent put out much heat, your gonna think this one does. If you used to riding a valkerie, St1300, kawasaki concours, or a V-Max, you wont think anything of it. I tend not to ride in "riding apparel", so i catch whatever heat my bike kicks out. Overall, the majority of forum members consider this a "fixed" issue.

GreyGoose

I picked her up yesterday and she is in the garage!!!!!! the good thing is my loving wife was with me when I picked it up and she got to sit on an 06 FZ1, She is flat footed on the FZ1 and tippey toe on her FZ6 so she said to sell her FZ6 and get an 07 FZ1 when the come out!!!!!!

I'm 64. Got the 06 FJR A. Love it. Power, good handling, comfort, luggage or not if you want. Heat is NO problem with the 06. Yes the throttle is herky jerky at low speeds but there will probably soon be a power commander for it. I assume it will solve that problem. I am learning to be smoother on the throttle and it is quite manageable now. Good luck. FZ1 is beautiful too but the FJR is all around great.

I picked her up yesterday and she is in the garage!!!!!! the good thing is my loving wife was with me when I picked it up and she got to sit on an 06 FZ1, She is flat footed on the FZ1 and tippey toe on her FZ6 so she said to sell her FZ6 and get an 07 FZ1 when the come out!!!!!!
:clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo:

Congratulations, you have been successfully assimilated! And then doubly blessed... You two should have lots of fun on the road together.

we don't expect to see you lurking around here for the next few days. certainly sunny and dry ones.

but DO come back and tell us we are ALL right, eh? we LOVE to have our heads patted.... :lol:

shu - also on the slower, but groovier cobalt..

Its prob as close as you can get in a shafty to a sportbike. Not as quick, but quick enough. and a lot more comfy.
And you can still drag a knee if ya wanna ;)

Tim-2.jpg

luggage too:

fjrtopcase2.jpg

Here are a couple of pics,

In the crate,

100_1285.jpg

Out of the crate,

100_1286.jpg

At home,

100_1287.jpg

The family,

100_1290.jpg