Windscreen Blacked Out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogie

Two Wheels Forever!!!
Reaction score
Now I know there will be the "What the hell did you do that for? " people but I came across a free windscreen so I thought what the hell!! LOL

I have done this on two previous bikes ( 03 R1 and 06 R1). I tape off the OUTSIDE of the screen then I clean off the inside of the screen really well.

I paint the inside of the screen using multiple light coats with about 5 minutes dry time in between.

The paint I use is Krylon Fusion for Plastics and it works great.

Now I know some will say that this is nuts but I dont actually sit low enough to look through my screen so it is just deflecting wind and bugs over my head.

I still have my original screen if I want to switch it out for any reason.

I think it came out looking pretty darn sweet! :yahoo:

Bikes012Large.jpg

Bikes016Large.jpg

Bikes017Large.jpg

Bikes020Large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most Excellent!!! :yahoo:

I may do that with a cut-down stock screen. Won't look as good as it does on your Raven though. Maybe I can find a color matched blue paint to do mine in...

I may do that with a cut-down stock screen. Won't look as good as it does on your Raven though. Maybe I can find a color matched blue paint to do mine in...
Thanks.....I'd like to find a shorter screen too.

If you're looking for a shorter windscreen... Cee Baileys sells one... there's some recent pics on here of mine on my bike... I like the additional airflow I get in the summer.

Great job, Bogie!

Just last night I put a Cee Bailey's -3" height/stock width, dark grey sceen on my 08 FJR. Not as good looking as yours, but roughly the same effect. Great minds think alike.

Later,

Murph

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up some Krylon last night at Wally World, and got one of their shades of blue just for the heck of it. Kind of close to an '06, probably closer to your '05.

That looks great. Like you said most of us don't look through our windscreens, but you can forget about tucking behind it in the rain. :D

I was thinking the same think except having it tinted.

Wonder if that's legal???? ( sorry to spoil the party ) I know here in Mass you can't get a sticker with tinted side windows in a cager. Not sure how it would apply to Motorcycles. I wonder if mechanik would say anything when having the bike inspected. (JMT)

I did the same thing to my 06 stock screen a couple of months ago. It does look pretty sweet, especially on your black 08. I've had several good comments with mine blacked out. I will leave it on for the shorter rides, but for the long trips the bigger shield will go back on.

To be honest, I stole the idea off Smitty when I saw his last spring, before he went to the other side. I figured I had the stocker setting around doing nothing, so why not paint it.

Smoke

I currently have my lower windscreen 'blacked out' using tape to cut down on light reflection from the headlights and Solteks. Once I get the right height determined, I'll be painting too!

Z54-UhOh-1.jpg

I currently have my lower windscreen 'blacked out' using tape to cut down on light reflection from the headlights and Solteks. Once I get the right height determined, I'll be painting too!
Z54-UhOh-1.jpg
Probably helps with variegated color reflections coming from the rear too? :rolleyes: