Windshield Adjustment ???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cruzintexas

Reaction score
I thought at one time I read a post about shimming the stock windshield on an 04 to reduce buffeting??? Anyone have any details????

Thanks

Steve

Homemade Windshield Tuning Block

If you remove the windshield, you will see the bracket it mounts to. Remove that by unscrewing the two tapered seat allen head screws at the base. These are the two screws that need to be replaced with longer ones. The "tuner" involves a spacer between the bracket held on by those two screws and the motor bracket below it. In my case, I just used a couple 3/8 nuts between the two. Do not use nylon or plastic-it deforms under the extreme pressure. Get it apart and all will become clear. Adding the spacers tilts the shield back regardless of position-fully erect the shield still has some abgle to it rather than being fully vertical. This is what makes it work. It moves the buffeting back behind you, also allows over the top vision even at full height.

What Rad said. His method works like a charm. Don't know if it removes much buffetting, but it gets the shield in a better position for me.

I have 2 stainless nuts and 2 stainless washers on M6 countersunk phillips screws in there. That's about the max I could get.

One thing I HAVE noticed is that I get bug goo a lot more on the BACK of the windscreen. Over the weeked, seems I must have sucked in a million "noseeums" or something really small. The back of the shield is peppered with little bug splats.

I soon discovered after riding the FJR for the first time that the stock windshield caused uncomfortable buffeting and wind pressure on my back in the raised position. I had non of this on my Yamaha Thunderace [YZF 1000]

In my opinion [at that time] I needed to 1] change the angle of lean 2] bring the screen closer to me.

This you can do by adding washers under the W bracket. I had no idea how much to add and at the same time would like to "play" with various angles in order to find out which suited me/the bike best.

I made up sets of stainless washers from 4 mm to 10 mm. This would mean that I could add from 4 mm to 19 mm under the W [10 mm + 9 mm + 19 mm

R0012636.JPG

Before you begin you will have to purchase longer counter sunk cap screws to accommodate the spacers.

When you have about 8 mm in position you will notice that the slider bracket will be close to or touching the fairing. To continue the experiment the groove in the fairing will have to be longer to allow further travel. I started with 4 hack saw blades taped together for the initial cut.

R0012756.JPG

The "new" groove can be finished off with a Dremel. Unless you knew you would not notice the new angle of lean

I ended up with 14 mm. No buffeting and the pressure on my back was gone

hope this helps

Howard

R0012666.JPG

This is with the 14 mm spacers. Photo taken last July at the Southern most tip of Africa.

The mods as described changed the comfort aspect and found it no longer to even contemplate an aftermarket screen. You will have to play with various spacers untill you find what's best for you.

Howard

I found that the angle of the screen could be brought closer by using spacers off of my pedal bikes brakes .The spacer is about 7mm and dished at one end the other spacer fits in the dish shape and can be angled so although I only added 9mm total the screen edge was nearly touching the fairing.

I then had the wind blast directly into my chest when the screen was down ,there was some improvement with the screen up in bad weather but not nearly enough so I decided to go with the Vario screen which is so much better .Its like riding a different bike 92mph and can put the visor up and smell the air lol

A lot depends on size and what works for one doesnt mean its good for all so its trial and trial again

:ph34r: