Windshield Help 6'1"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikebike

Reaction score
I have searched and read a lot on this topic but would like input from somebody who is 6'1".

Looking for:

• Stylish appearance
  • Noise reduction
  • air flow when hot ( i live in Florida)
  • reduced buffeting
I have a 2012 bought new.....stock shield now with about 3,000 miles.

Hoping to avoid going through the many iterations that "Assland" did --- would like to get it right the first time
rolleyes.gif

thanks for your patience on a widely covered topic.
dribble.gif

Mike

Mike,

I'm 6'2", so pretty close to your height. I've been through all the iterations of windshields. Any of the bigger shields will still spill turbulent air off the top edge to your faceshield and helmet. You would have to actually look through the shield for it not to. There are none made that are tall enough for you or me to have that perfect pocket of still air that many of the shorter guys seem to enjoy.

The answer to all of your stated requirements is NOT a larger windshield. To the contrary, the answer is to go smaller. Either cut-down an old stock windshield, or fashion a means to tip the 'shield back further than the stock one will go when in the lowest position (a' la Rifle Tuning Block). Getting the top edge of the windshield's flow off your head and down to your chest (when the shield is lowered) accomplishes all that you are asking for.

Hey Mike,

I live south of you so I know how hot it gets.

I went with a Cee Bailey's +2H +2W with the flip and light gray tint and it worked out perfect for me. I am 6'2" also.

I tried the +4H +2W first but the airflow was too high hitting me around the nose and upwards. Sent it back and got the +2H +2W.

Now when down, the airflow hits me around the chest and neck and upwards. When up all the way, the airflow goes over the top of the helmet and all I hear is the engine.

I have even ridden in the rain at highway speeds with it all the way up, and my torso up to the top of the visor has remained dry.

It also actually looks good on the bike as well. I think even better than stock.

If you are ever down in the West Palm area you are welcome to try it out.

Mike,

I'm 6'2", so pretty close to your height. I've been through all the iterations of windshields. Any of the bigger shields will still spill turbulent air off the top edge to your faceshield and helmet. You would have to actually look through the shield for it not to. There are none made that are tall enough for you or me to have that perfect pocket of still air that many of the shorter guys seem to enjoy.

The answer to all of your stated requirements is NOT a larger windshield. To the contrary, the answer is to go smaller. Either cut-down an old stock windshield, or fashion a means to tip the 'shield back further than the stock one will go when in the lowest position (a' la Rifle Tuning Block). Getting the top edge of the windshield's flow off your head and down to your chest (when the shield is lowered) accomplishes all that you are asking for.
Hi Fred!

Could you inform me if you know the rifle tuning block can it working with the OEM windshield for ours 04/05?and if it can,working good??

Hi Fred!

Could you inform me if you know the rifle tuning block can it working with the OEM windshield for ours 04/05?and if it can,working good??
Yep. That is my summer configuration. It works very well.

In winter months I mount a bigger shield for the weather protection, but in the summer I go with the stock shield on the Rifle Tuning Block.

I'm 6-4 and still use the stock shield and mostly in the low position (summer and hot so it works for this season). I find raising gives me more jimmy buffet BUT I am lurking these threads for my non summer riding solution.

Good stuff.

Hi Fred!

In winter months I mount a bigger shield for the weather protection, but in the summer I go with the stock shield on the Rifle Tuning Block.
i ask you because i read in the rifle site they write the OEM windshield with rifle tuning block can touches the upper fairing in the lower position..!is it true??

Hi Fred!

i ask you because i read in the rifle site they write the OEM windshield with rifle tuning block can touches the upper fairing in the lower position..!is it true??
That may be true on the 2nd gen, but definitely not on our 1st gen. It does come down pretty low, but doesn't touch anything. And of course I have the auto-retract feature disabled anyway. I like to leave the shield up part way when parked for a place to stash my gloves. ;)

Hi Fred!

See fjr1300info and when there search "windshield modification" or"changing windscreen angle. Looks like just what you need and I know you can do it

if you lay off the ouzo while working on it.

Hi Fred!

That may be true on the 2nd gen, but definitely not on our 1st gen. It does come down pretty low, but doesn't touch anything. And of course I have the auto-retract feature disabled anyway. I like to leave the shield up part way when parked for a place to stash my gloves. ;)
Thank you Fred for your very helpfull info!!I will buy a rifle tuning block..I like very the 'auto-retract feature,but it doesn't working two years ago.. :(

Hi Fred!

See fjr1300info and when there search "windshield modification" or"changing windscreen angle. Looks like just what you need and I know you can do it

I am waiting for your personal address to send you a bottle of ouzo..!! :lol:

This is the range of shield angle that you get when you modify the long arms as shown in that fjr1300info article

Tom-down_up.jpg

Not enough of a difference from stock position, IMO.

Now here is the range with a Rifle Tuning Block installed under a stock screen (this is actually a Yamaha touring screen, but is the same shape as stock, just a few inches taller

100_3443C.jpg
100_3442C.jpg

This is the range of shield angle that you get when you modify the long arms as shown in that fjr1300info article

Tom-down_up.jpg

Not enough of a difference from stock position, IMO.

Now here is the range with a Rifle Tuning Block installed under a stock screen (this is actually a Yamaha touring screen, but is the same shape as stock, just a few inches taller

100_3443C.jpg
100_3442C.jpg
Your pics convinced me, just ordered one $49.00 + frt. If I don't like it will not be the first or last time I've blown $$.

Last edited by a moderator:
It works pretty well. Although it does look a bit fugly when in the fully down position (I tend to leave it in between most of the time), spaced out the leading edge scoops a bunch of air off the high pressure wave on the faring's nose and shoots it at your torso. Much cooler. And they work with all sorts of different shields bolted onto it.

An in-between of stock and the tuning block is to add a couple spacers (and longer bolts) under the bracket. Cheaper too.

An in-between of stock and the tuning block is to add a couple spacers (and longer bolts) under the bracket. Cheaper too.
True. BTDT.

But, putting spacers in causes the two brackets to be at a slight angle to each other. This puts lateral stress on the (longer) bolts that go through those spacers and there is some small amount of flexion that may occur during windshield movement. If you look at the Rifle tuning block it not only spaces the bracket halves apart, it also offsets them and provides the required angle:

DCP_1781.jpg

Now... many folks will pipe up and tell about how they have installed various spacers and longer bolts and run them successfully for many zillions of miles. But, there have been some cases where the longer bolts broke, which could be rather a bad thing while under way. I don't mind spending $50 for a better and safer windshield solution for my $10k motorcycle.