Windshield Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Reaction score
I've read alot about the Cee Bailey and the VStrom windshields but was wondering if anyone had experience with both. I'm leaning towards the Cee Bailey +4+2 (thats what they reccommended for my height) but the VStorm sounds good also. I'm actually pretty happy with the stock one except for the roar it makes. I want to get it as quite as I can without having the run the shield all the way up. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

I've read alot about the Cee Bailey and the VStrom windshields but was wondering if anyone had experience with both. I'm leaning towards the Cee Bailey +4+2 (thats what they reccommended for my height) but the VStorm sounds good also. I'm actually pretty happy with the stock one except for the roar it makes. I want to get it as quite as I can without having the run the shield all the way up. Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Gary
Its the "V-Stream". :)

I'm 6'2" and even with the spacers its still nooooooooot quite tall enough for me. I have to duck a bit to get the silence.

Thanks

Gary
Its the "V-Stream". :)

I'm 6'2" and even with the spacers its still nooooooooot quite tall enough for me. I have to duck a bit to get the silence.
+1. 6'2" also. Had the Vstream. Tried it both with and without spacers. It wasn't quite tall enough to clear my head. In the down position it was too damn big for warm weather. It is so large in surface area, I did not like how it moved around while under way. Sold it.

I have a 06 V-Strom 650. There is a bracket made by MADSTAD Engineering for $89.95.

The bracket works Great. If you check out most any of the V-Strom forums you will see most everyone realy likes the bracket.

:headbonk: not considering the Rifle??
Gunny. Everyone I've convinced to ride with the Rifle has been very happy.
The Rifle might be worth a try if I can just get over how it kicks the bottom part out away from the bike. I know that's part of what makes it work so well but I really didn't care for the looks of the few I've seen (on ST1300's) but it might be a bit better on the FJR.

Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to see many people who didnt like there V-stream shields. The guys who dont like them are usually after something much smaller. the rifle +4 +2 will be 3/4 inch higher than the V-stream. I'm not exactly sure what the difference would be on the width, but i think they would be close. I'm short and want things as quiet as possible, so the V-stream nailed it for me.

Greygoose

Just got a new California Scientific windscreen (see www.calsci.com) and I was impressed. My '05 had the too-small stock screen so I wanted to upsize. Couple of the members here had offered to let me try their larger screens (thanks, guys) and it was better but still not quite it for me. As it happens they both had the same one, the Ceebailey +4+2. I found the CalSci website and it's a good one, lots of info about bikes, accessories and riding in addition to just the windscreen stuff. As a bonus, they were right across the river from me in West Sacramento, so I could check it out in person. The owner is Mark, an engineer who designs the screens as well as designed and built the laser cutter and the heat-forming oven in his shop, which he proudly showed me through. (Check out his background in the "Me" link on his site.) Mark helped me bolt on the screen, a "large" FJR-specific screen, 3rd of 4 sizes offered. I'm 6'1" with a long torso, and when fully extended, this screen was actually high enough that I was looking through it when looking straight ahead; the Xtra Large would have been way overkill. So I put it on for a test ride and it was just the deal. I thought, "what's that noise?" It was my engine! I'd never heard it before, no b.s. Wind buffeting greatly reduced, noise much less. It flares a bit on the sides to deflect more air around the body too. Great for winter, but Mark smiled when I said I'd be switching back to stock come summer. "No, you won't. Nobody ever does." Well, I'll keep the OE screen, but he might be right. Don't leave this one out if you're looking to upgrade.

Just went out and pulled the cover back so you can get a look. One up, one down.

SS850283.jpg

SS850287.jpg

I've got a cee bailey +4 +2 that I bought from a forum member and I've been quite happy with it, especially since I remounted it and added some foam strips to elimated the "whistle".

I run it about 2/3 the way up and it's nice and quiet plus I can still look over the top of the shield and keep my visor open.

I also like the way the shield looks on the bike, not too small, not to large....just right.

Last edited by a moderator:
My $0.02. I have the CB +4(w)+2)(h) with flip and I like that I can ride with it about half up and I'm in a quiet zone, no buffeting. And it doesn't make it look like you're riding with a clear sheet of plywood in front of you. Granted I'm a whopping 5'8" but it works great for me. If I really want to be in total vacuum I can take it all the way up, especially helpful in all but the worst rain.

Bob

What would you all recommend for 6'3" and hating the factory shield.

I went with the V Stream and just put it on recently. I only got to test it for an hour or so a couple of sundays ago cause it's winter here in CT. My impression is that it works exceptionally well. 1/2 way up and its a nice ride. All the way up and it's REALLY quiet. The downside is that it vibrates, flutters a bit over 70 mph. It's a little annoying but I decided to wait till spring, ride some more and maybe just deal with it cause the protection is that good. It looks a bit big when looking at the bike, but feels appropriately sized when on it.

Just got a new California Scientific windscreen (see www.calsci.com) and I was impressed. My '05 had the too-small stock screen so I wanted to upsize. Couple of the members here had offered to let me try their larger screens (thanks, guys) and it was better but still not quite it for me. As it happens they both had the same one, the Ceebailey +4+2. I found the CalSci website and it's a good one, lots of info about bikes, accessories and riding in addition to just the windscreen stuff. As a bonus, they were right across the river from me in West Sacramento, so I could check it out in person. The owner is Mark, an engineer who designs the screens as well as designed and built the laser cutter and the heat-forming oven in his shop, which he proudly showed me through. (Check out his background in the "Me" link on his site.) Mark helped me bolt on the screen, a "large" FJR-specific screen, 3rd of 4 sizes offered. I'm 6'1" with a long torso, and when fully extended, this screen was actually high enough that I was looking through it when looking straight ahead; the Xtra Large would have been way overkill. So I put it on for a test ride and it was just the deal. I thought, "what's that noise?" It was my engine! I'd never heard it before, no b.s. Wind buffeting greatly reduced, noise much less. It flares a bit on the sides to deflect more air around the body too. Great for winter, but Mark smiled when I said I'd be switching back to stock come summer. "No, you won't. Nobody ever does." Well, I'll keep the OE screen, but he might be right. Don't leave this one out if you're looking to upgrade. Just went out and pulled the cover back so you can get a look. One up, one down.

SS850283.jpg

SS850287.jpg
+1, Great Shield!