Windshield will not fully retract . . . . ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottiO

Reaction score
I just bought my 06 FJR and I noticed the windshield will not retract fully to match the molding on the faring. There is a 2 inch opening at the base of the mechanism . . . it will not go back down flush with the faring.

Is this normal or . . . . . is there something wrong with the drive system for the windshield? It goes up just fine but I feel it should go up and a bit forward and that isn't happening either.

Please advise . . .

Scott

There should not be that much gap. Check too see if it ever had any frontal damage or if when you are trying to lower it motor still trying, which might indicate that there is a blockage by something. most likely some kind of blockage by some wiring.

I just bought my 06 FJR and I noticed the windshield will not retract fully to match the molding on the faring. There is a 2 inch opening at the base of the mechanism . . . it will not go back down flush with the faring.

Is this normal or . . . . . is there something wrong with the drive system for the windshield? It goes up just fine but I feel it should go up and a bit forward and that isn't happening either.

Please advise . . .

Scott
Do you have a picture? It is really hard to guess with descriptions. (I really don't now where you mean when you say there is an opening at the base of the mechanism).

I did a quick google search for 'fjr windshield' and saw there were a variety of pictures, so you could compare what yours looks like to some of those.

Last edited by a moderator:

Please advise . . .

Scott
I'm gonna bet that someone has installed spacers in the windshield arms that tip the windshield back further. I did this on my 07 (which is identical as your 06) to reduce turbulence with the factory shield. I've left the spacers in even though I no longer run a stock shield.

A much hated former forum member Skyway used to make spacers for this purpose, but many just made their own or used a stack of washers. If you search for Skyway spacer on this forum, you'll find a picture of where the spacers are installed.

Off topic: Yippy for me on my #1000 post! :yahoo:

Please advise . . .

Scott
I'm gonna bet that someone has installed spacers in the windshield arms that tip the windshield back further. I did this on my 07 (which is identical as your 06) to reduce turbulence with the factory shield. I've left the spacers in even though I no longer run a stock shield.

A much hated former forum member Skyway used to make spacers for this purpose, but many just made their own or used a stack of washers. If you search for Skyway spacer on this forum, you'll find a picture of where the spacers are installed.

Off topic: Yippy for me on my #1000 post! :yahoo:
Thank you very much , what you're saying makes perfect sense!