Windshield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redneckj

Reaction score
I know this has been covered 3,234,768 times but I will ask anyways. I got my bike 2 Fridays ago. Bought it with 2 miles on it. Just got back from a 850 miles trip so now the bike has about 1100 miles on it. So, i was playing around with the windshield on the trip and I was thinking about what would be the perfect windshield for the FJR (IMHO).

With the W/S all the way down there would be smooth wind hitting the rider on the hot days but with NOT alot of buffeting.

With the W/S in the middle it would knock down enough wind and not cause any negative air pressure and not inducing extra wind noise.

With the W/S all the way up, it would keep near all the wind off of the riders chest and helmet, allowing a much more quite riding "bubble" with out the negative air pressure forming behind the riders helmet pushing him forward.

I am between 5'11 and 6' depending on what 7/11 that I am walking out of. I have the bike's seat set in the tall position for now.

If you have been in search of a W/S that will do what I tried to describe, please post your findings. Thank You

Oh and FYI, on my last tank between Yakima and Orting riding over HWY 410, the bikes MPG shows 50.2. Every tank it has gotten better and better. But 50.2 seems to high to me.

Congrats on the new ride. With regard to MPG, set your trip odometer to zero at the next fill-up and then simply divide miles by gallons at the following fill-up. The estimated mileage on your display is probably optimistic, but it can happen with easy cruising throttle and speeds consistently under 70 MPH.

There are lots of windshield solutions on Gen II bikes. I think my neighbor's 2006 with a CalSci windshield topped with a Laminar Lip is pretty sweet. I have seen Vario touring windshields that do the same thing and are purpose built with the two part shield/airfooil. Since that is also a very flexible solution that allows you to easily change height and configuration, you might want to look into it.

I am 5'9 and got a Rifle +3 and like it very much. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it with except the stock windscreen. The Rifle is at the top end price-wise, but I'm a happy camper. I rarely put it all the way up anymore...don't know what size you would need, being 5'11.

With the W/S all the way down there would be smooth wind hitting the rider on the hot days but with NOT alot of buffeting.

With the W/S in the middle it would knock down enough wind and not cause any negative air pressure and not inducing extra wind noise.

With the W/S all the way up, it would keep near all the wind off of the riders chest and helmet, allowing a much more quite riding "bubble" with out the negative air pressure forming behind the riders helmet pushing him forward.
You just described what everyone is looking for in a windshield, good luck!

I have a large Rifle for Winter. After this thread I have this MRA for Summer.

Read through this link. I can not say enough good things about it.

MRA Review

Check your PM's rnJ.

Most of us end up with a garage full of windshields before settling on what works. Even then, climate [at least we're cool up here], personal preferences and helmet choices lead to a variety of different results.

--G

Good question. Im looking for the same thing for my Gen I bike. This weekend's outing has convinced me that I need a quiet spot to ride in. Normally I wear noise canceling earplugs with music but this trip I tried our new scala setup. I can only hear if I duck down below the stock shield.

Wondering where to start looking ( other than the search feature here)

Good question. Im looking for the same thing for my Gen I bike. This weekend's outing has convinced me that I need a quiet spot to ride in. Normally I wear noise canceling earplugs with music but this trip I tried our new scala setup. I can only hear if I duck down below the stock shield.

Wondering where to start looking ( other than the search feature here)

This is a topic that all the information is out there, at your fingertips. There is no magic solution that seems to appeal to the masses. It is an individual preference thing.

Use google to search the FJR site like this: clicky

As much as you want to read. No new products that aren't represented. I am your height, but torso length and seat selection will effect riding height. How far forward we sit makes a big difference too. I have most of my miles on a CalSci Large and have been pleased with it. Although it doesn't quite go low enough to do as you describe for warm weather (which isn't a concern for me). I have a Cee Bailey I just switched too, not sure which is better, but I have noticed it seems to have a sharper angle toward my head. It is almost identical in size to the CalSci (both larger than stock). I do not have a reverse flip or any other special technology. The Calsci has a negative pressure hole low on the shield, CB does not. I have no negative pressures on either (was terrible for me on stock).

Good luck and welcome to forum.

For me the Laminar lip on a stock size windshield does pretty much exactly what you describe. The Laminar lip was the first windshield mod I did and like the results but not the look so much. So then I tried several windshields like most hear and in the end went back to the stock size windshield with a laminar lip. Now I also have a VStream shield that I really like but that doesn't come out until the temps get really cool and I need alot more wind protection.

I'm also 5-11 and ride with the seat in the high position. I use the stock windshield in hot weather, but have a CalSci "Large" for cooler weather. Gives me the results you described. Bought the CalSci from the owner/designer/manufacturer directly...great guy. :)

I'm 5 minutes from Orting and would be glad to lend you either of my shield for test runs. I have a Vstream that I use for winter riding and a Cee Bailey +2 tall with flip shield for summer use. I think the CB shield may meet all your requirements.

You can't always get what you want, but if ya try a bunch'a kinds, ya just might find, you get what you need..

Oh yeah. :p

My apologizes to the Rolling Stones

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I rode Hwy 410 today around Mt. Rainer. I am also looking for Windshield Nirvana and have seen sooo many options. Washington rain is something I would like to protect against. (just ordered some gerbings for the cool temps coming our way) Probably going with the Cali Sci mid sized screen due to the excellent review written by Shutter Pilot. Also having wrist pain on all day trips. Need the bar extender from Germany.!

Sounds like we all need to meet someday in Enumclaw and drive up to Whiskey Jacks for lunch. ;)

Nice! I rode Hwy 410 today around Mt. Rainer. I am also looking for Windshield Nirvana and have seen sooo many options. Washington rain is something I would like to protect against. (just ordered some gerbings for the cool temps coming our way) Probably going with the Cali Sci mid sized screen due to the excellent review written by Shutter Pilot. Also having wrist pain on all day trips. Need the bar extender from Germany.!

Sounds like we all need to meet someday in Enumclaw and drive up to Whiskey Jacks for lunch. ;)
You should be aware with the holes in the Cal Sci. you will get some rain/moisture coming in around the insturment cluster (at least that is what happened with mine).

I have a large Rifle for Winter. After this thread I have this MRA for Summer.

Read through this link. I can not say enough good things about it.

MRA Review
+1 ;)
+2

3500 miles so far on this trip and 3000 more to go. The MRA rocks in adjust ability and air flow it provides with a twist of two knobs.
How is it for rain deflection? The tinted one would look nice, just worried about night time visibility reduction. thoughts?