Windy Ridge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Sounds like a nice ride. I havent been through that area in years, and never on a bike. How was FR25? I seem to remember a couple of paved roads in that area.
FR25 is pretty good. Paved all the way from Randle down to the intersection with FR90 near Cougar. There was a massive slide this winter between Randle and the Windy Ridge turn-off and it was closed for some time, but they have installed a temporary steel bridge with a wooden plank roadbed across the slide area. Otherwise a a few frost heaves here and there but otherwise great. A great trip is to take 25 to 90, then 90 east to 88, then south on 88 to Trout Lake. A few one lane sections, and a couple of brief areas of gravel (1/8 mile or less), but otherwise a great, twisty, scenic forest ride on decent pavement. Of course the other way is to take the cut-off from 90 up to the McClellan viewpoint and then take Wind River highway south to Carson. 16 miles of intense twistys. You just have to watch the gravel in the turns, and the nut jobs going the other way in your lane!

Cool. Sounds like a nice ride. I havent been through that area in years, and never on a bike. How was FR25? I seem to remember a couple of paved roads in that area.
FR25 is pretty good. Paved all the way from Randle down to the intersection with FR90 near Cougar. There was a massive slide this winter between Randle and the Windy Ridge turn-off and it was closed for some time, but they have installed a temporary steel bridge with a wooden plank roadbed across the slide area. Otherwise a a few frost heaves here and there but otherwise great. A great trip is to take 25 to 90, then 90 east to 88, then south on 88 to Trout Lake. A few one lane sections, and a couple of brief areas of gravel (1/8 mile or less), but otherwise a great, twisty, scenic forest ride on decent pavement. Of course the other way is to take the cut-off from 90 up to the McClellan viewpoint and then take Wind River highway south to Carson. 16 miles of intense twistys. You just have to watch the gravel in the turns, and the nut jobs going the other way in your lane!
I think I'll ride that area tomorrow morning and check it out. Thanks for the road report and suggestions.