winter apparel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jride

Reaction score
Who makes the best winter apparel?

I have heard good things about field sheer. Water proof good abrasion resistance ect.

Its not electric but I am not sure i want electric. I have ridden at 28 deg. with the leather gear i have now but i was cooold and it it get wet so do you.

I don't ride if there is any chance of rain and a temp below about 70 but i would if i thought i could stay dry. I know a better rain suit would also help but sometimes it is hard to find a place to get off the road before you are soaked.

I've had good luck with Tourmaster clothing. It is reasonably priced and the sizing charts fairly accurate. Like most riders on this forum I have a box full of gloves. When the temp is in the upper 30's I use the Tourmaster Polar gloves. They are a combination leather and textile fabric with a gauntlet. If the temp is consistantly below 40 and I am going to be on the bike for awhile I use the Tourmaster Snynergy Vest and Gloves. Adding the Suzuki V-Strom handguards makes a big difference. I found that I can ride well into to the teens quite comfortably with the above attire and a pair of overpants. Oh, yes, one more thing...I use a neck warmer. If you can protect the core of your torso, neck,hands etc. You really can ride quite nicely. I do year round. I don't do wet or snowy roads in the winter as it too dangerous.

Though not as popular here in the States, I've been EXTREMELY pleased with the Frank Thomas Aqua line of clothing. From 19F freezing cold to 40F pouring rain! I've remained dry and warm!!!!!

You can also search Google for their Aqua line as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recommend electric; I have the Gerbings jacket liner and gloves and love them. Witth the electric liner, I wear a t-shirt, then the liner, and then my First Gear leather jacket over that and I'm plenty warm. I've ridden down to twenty-six degrees with the thermostat set at about 2/3 power and been plenty warm. I don't have to layer like I used to without the electric liner. The electric gloves are used at anything below forty degrees.

Who makes the best winter apparel? I have heard good things about field sheer. Water proof good abrasion resistance ect.

Its not electric but I am not sure i want electric. I have ridden at 28 deg. with the leather gear i have now but i was cooold and it it get wet so do you.

I don't ride if there is any chance of rain and a temp below about 70 but i would if i thought i could stay dry. I know a better rain suit would also help but sometimes it is hard to find a place to get off the road before you are soaked.
You might add your location to your profile. Best for how extreme? For how long a ride? How long is your winter?

I have heard good things about field sheer. Water proof good abrasion resistance ect.
I'll admit that my experience with Fieldsheer is pretty limited. It will stay limited, though. The only pants I bought from them were the 4-Season pants. For that product, you should understand that when they say "waterproof liner" what they actually mean is "storm-flap-free-fly-that-funnels-cold-rain-water-directly-onto-your-naughty-bits-then-down-your-leg-and-into-your-boots-unless-you-wear-separate-rain-pants liner." The distinction there is pretty important for most purchasers. Other than that, though, they were great until the leg zipper broke on the 4th trip. And their gloves suck.

For cold weather gear, I was really impressed with my Reima gear. Kind of hard to find in the U.S. but very high quality stuff. Made in Finland, so they have cold weather figured out. In fact, the stuff I had (under the "Cycloak" brand name) was a bit too warm for most anything else.

I rode for most of my adult life with leather jackets, layers when needed and rain suits when needed. Other than the many years I didn't even own a car, I would often leave the bike home when rain threatened because I didn't want to hassle with stopping and putting rain gear on. When gas prices went through the roof last year, I decided to become a hardcore rider again. :assassin:

Because it rains often here in Seattle, I decided to invest in high quality riding gear that's waterproof. Aerostitch won me over with their Darien jacket and pants. This gear is waterproof, windproof, warm and abrasion resistant. I can't describe how nice it is to just throw the same comfortable gear on everyday and not even think about weather conditions (Okay, I do take snow forcasts into consideration like this coming weekend during the motorcycle show! :angry: ) It's pricey, but worth every penny IMO. :yahoo:

I've had good luck with Tourmaster clothing. It is reasonably priced and the sizing charts fairly accurate. Like most riders on this forum I have a box full of gloves. When the temp is in the upper 30's I use the Tourmaster Polar gloves. They are a combination leather and textile fabric with a gauntlet. If the temp is consistantly below 40 and I am going to be on the bike for awhile I use the Tourmaster Snynergy Vest and Gloves. Adding the Suzuki V-Strom handguards makes a big difference. I found that I can ride well into to the teens quite comfortably with the above attire and a pair of overpants. Oh, yes, one more thing...I use a neck warmer. If you can protect the core of your torso, neck,hands etc. You really can ride quite nicely. I do year round. I don't do wet or snowy roads in the winter as it too dangerous.
i agree you have to protect your torso... some simple under armor works very well to keep your body warm in extreme conditions

Who makes the best winter apparel? I have heard good things about field sheer. Water proof good abrasion resistance ect.

I have the Fieldsheer Quattro jacket and it's been superb in the cold and wet. It has many great features including a neck extender. Just check out the excellent reviews on the Motorcycle Superstore web site.

I'm a hard-core, year round rider (of course that's easier in CA). I wear Tourmaster- own various jackets and pants for the different seasons. If it is supposed to rain steadily or hard, I put on a Nelson-Rigg rain jacket. My Tourmaster Venture pants are waterproof enough for hard rain. TCX boots are waterproof as well.

The gloves eventually get wet, but I carry a couple of pair so I have dry gloves on the way home from work.

This same subject comes up every season & not only once every season... but usually a lot of times per. A very quick search finds many threads with oodles of info. Take a look here.

I have used and had good luck with the following combo:

Joe Rocket Ballistic 6.0 jacket, J/R Alter Ego pants /w rain liner in, Danner gortex boots, Warm'n'Safe electric jacket liner.

The electric liner is the key; kept me toasty riding out of Salt Lake City towards Wendover October '07 at 11 degrees.

I'll admit that my experience with Fieldsheer is pretty limited. It will stay limited, though. The only pants I bought from them were the 4-Season pants. For that product, you should understand that when they say "waterproof liner" what they actually mean is "storm-flap-free-fly-that-funnels-cold-rain-water-directly-onto-your-naughty-bits-then-down-your-leg-and-into-your-boots-unless-you-wear-separate-rain-pants liner." The distinction there is pretty important for most purchasers. Other than that, though, they were great until the leg zipper broke on the 4th trip. And their gloves suck.

For cold weather gear, I was really impressed with my Reima gear. Kind of hard to find in the U.S. but very high quality stuff. Made in Finland, so they have cold weather figured out. In fact, the stuff I had (under the "Cycloak" brand name) was a bit too warm for most anything else.
Wow, and all I have is Fieldsheer...1st jacket I had was a textile with amazing wind/rain resistance, then...

Bought some of their all season women's riding pants on a trip thru Oregon 14 months ago. Good thing too, on the way home we ran into the 1st big storm of the season in Northern Washington State and thru Vancouver on the way home (1st weekend of October). Wind driving the rain sideways. NO fun. At every stoplight the water pooled between my thighs and the tank of the FZ6 would 'whoosh' up and backwash over the tank. Got home after an eight hour ride with sopping wet toes, leather gloves holding about 10 lbs of water each, but my arms, legs and torso were still dry. Damp mind you, but dry.

That sold me, and I also prefer that their jacket arms have more adjustment tabs than most manufacturers.

Most companies have gear at different price points/quality levels. Like most things, you get what you pay for IMO

I rode for most of my adult life with leather jackets, layers when needed and rain suits when needed. Other than the many years I didn't even own a car, I would often leave the bike home when rain threatened because I didn't want to hassle with stopping and putting rain gear on. When gas prices went through the roof last year, I decided to become a hardcore rider again. :assassin:
Because it rains often here in Seattle, I decided to invest in high quality riding gear that's waterproof. Aerostitch won me over with their Darien jacket and pants. This gear is waterproof, windproof, warm and abrasion resistant. I can't describe how nice it is to just throw the same comfortable gear on everyday and not even think about weather conditions (Okay, I do take snow forcasts into consideration like this coming weekend during the motorcycle show! :angry: ) It's pricey, but worth every penny IMO. :yahoo:
+1 for Aerostich. I have the Roadcrafter one piece suit and a heated vest. That covers me from 35 deg to 85 deg and I don't have to stop to put on rain gear. It's expensive but it has Gore Tex which really, really, works. It really breathes and it's water proof. However, the strongest recommendation I can make is to use some type of heated clothing. I will never be without it again.

Ron

I'm a BIG fan of newenough.com. I purchased a Firstgear Denali 3/4 jacket. It's the absolute cat's meow! They only have Medium left (I wear Med.). Great buy for $129. I also use the Tourmaster Synergy heated vest & a turtlefur fleece balaclava. Nice & toasty.

First Gear Kilimanjaro 3/4 jacket. I like the Frist Gear line because they have tall sizes but they also have regular and short.

I picked up a FieldSheer HydroTour jacket for minimal money a few years ago and it's done me well in the Colorado cold.

Temperature-wise, I've been OK down to about 18F around town with the liner in. It's waterproof enough - I've gotten stuck in traffic coming down from the mountains a few times in pouring rain and everything under the jacket stayed nice and dry.

In winter I'll ride with either an UnderArmour balaclava (which comes un-tucked from my jacket too easily) or a TurtleFur neck gaiter I got at REI (which does just fine).

I wear a full stich year round, pricy but the versatility makes it worth it. as the temps drop I layer with poly pro garments best shit ever invented very thin and light and stays warm even when soaking wet.

Hit TJMax especially in spring and you can pick up lots of name brand (under armour, etc.) poly pro stuff for next to nothing some of it may not be the latest fashon but no one sees it under your riding gear anyway.