Winter rain gear over riding suit, suggestions please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
Yesterday was our annual toy run in a solid rain and I realized it's time to upgrade.

I wear a Motoport suit and their rain liners go under the suit. I am looking for a rain suit that goes over the top of my gear.

After searching the usual on line sources I'm not finding many one piece rain suits available, most are two piece. I don't care if they don't breath much as it only rains in the winter out here and usually that means riding in sub 50 degrees and the warmth is nice. One thing important to me is the end of the sleeves must be able to go over the gauntlets of my winter rain gloves, I wanna stay dry while riding in a frog strangler

What do you use/ recommendations?

Will two piece keep me dry?

Pros and cons welcome. Thank you.

Yesterday was our annual toy run in a solid rain and I realized it's time to upgrade.
I wear a Motoport suit and their rain liners go under the suit. I am looking for a rain suit that goes over the top of my gear.

After searching the usual on line sources I'm not finding many one piece rain suits available, most are two piece. I don't care if they don't breath much as it only rains in the winter out here and usually that means riding in sub 50 degrees and the warmth is nice. One thing important to me is the end of the sleeves must be able to go over the gauntlets of my winter rain gloves, I wanna stay dry while riding in a frog strangler

Reading comprehension helps.....

Reading comprehension helps.....
Yes, I saw that. And I challenge the notion that you have to have a separate rain suit. If you're not open to the idea that you can have a supremely great rain-resistant single set of gear via Aerostich...feel free to ignore.
wink.png

Pros and cons welcome.

No cons that I've found so far, all pros including not having to stop and add something nor having to pack extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Stitch once and doesn't work for me. I like and crash tested my first Motorport suit enough to buy another recently so no interest in replacing it with other gear. I will only use the rain gear a few times a year and riding a hippo means storage of rain suit is no problem :)

Hew is my 2 cents on rain gear.

I have an Aerostich Roadcrafter which does a good job keeping me dry, but when I am going to be facing an all day rain I put a Fogg Togg's suit over it for added insurance

Although Carver won't agree Frog Togs work well. We got some for Patti and the jacket has a hood to go under the helmet to keep water from going down the backside. We got in a couple frog stranglers on the way home from NAFO and she stayed dry other than her feet. Need new boots in the spring.

For cooler weather I just wear my First Gear stuff and keep going.

Had good luck with Olympia two piece. I think they also have one piece?

https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/products/men/jackets/new-horizon-rain-petite-black-1

Really like the hood, no down the back of the neck dribbles. Can get the sleeve over old style Gerbings heated gloves.

Only drawback, the version I have, the main zipper pull is small. Might be changed on the new gear.

Maybe more $$ than you want to spend for minimal use?

-Steve

Thanks Ray. On the foot issue I love my BMW allround boots. Replaced my crash tested (bambi) boots with another pair I bought in Oregon (love the no sales tax) but even with some tworn stitching they do not leak. I wore the crash boots yesterday and my feet were still dry and toasty:)

Pricey but worth very cent, the crash proved that.

Doug,

I personally think Frogg toggs really suck in extended rain riding. There is currently a sale here: Motorcycle Rain Gear - Jafrum

I like these myself: Tour Master Sentinel Rain Jacket - Jafrum … with these pants: Tour Master Sentinel 2.0 Rain Pants - Jafrum

Or go with the 1 piece you desired. Just make sure you get a suit that is fairly snug (But not tight) so it does not flap in the wind.

They also have a little more pricey insulated rain gear. I also think Firstgear makes quality gear with fair pricing.

Thanks Tony, I like the hood in the tourmaster jacket as I think it would be handy if you need to remove your helmet in the rain. Do you have this gear?

The "hood" on my Tourmaster is mesh. It's meant to keep

the high collar up, inside the helmet.

Although Carver won't agree Frog Togs work well. We got some for Patti and the jacket has a hood to go under the helmet to keep water from going down the backside. We got in a couple frog stranglers on the way home from NAFO and she stayed dry other than her feet. Need new boots in the spring. For cooler weather I just wear my First Gear stuff and keep going.
I agree with the Frogg Toggs hood under the helmet keeping water of of your back. I was wearing mesh pants coming home from Lapine, OR, and the only problem I ran into with the Frogg Toggs was the pant legs riding up at highway speeds in the rain. The cheap solution was to use some rubber bands I had with me to strap them to the boots. I always carry a set of Frogg Toggs in one of the saddle bags because they weigh nothing and take up no space. And they are completely waterproof even when you're staionary.

And they are completely waterproof even when you're staionary.
:rofl:

Bug, I'm looking too. This nasty Kali wet weather is tough, man. We have to get good gear.

BTW, I have a set of Frog Togs. They are good for starting fires. :)

I wear Motoport stretch Kevlar gear and agree that liners under the gear suck, especially the pants. The best over the gear rain gear I have found is made of rip stop nylon. Very compact and long lasting. I bought mine at Costco about 15 years ago and still works great. The downside was they only sold it in 3-4 sizes and limited colors. Cost a whopping $30 ( then). Probably not available at Costco anymore but I'm sure there are other suits made of rip stop nylon.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="El Toro Joe" data-cid="1349417" data-time="1481488356"><p>

...or you could get the rain liners for the motoport gear.</p></blockquote>

RIF