Winter rain gear over riding suit, suggestions please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you use/ recommendations?
I use an Aerostich Darien jacket...I've never found a need to carry specific rain gear.
Darien jackets are about $600.00, there are many high quality rain suits in the $50.00-$150.00 range. Big difference, especially if one has good riding gear already..

Dan

Part of it is type of riding. If I'm traveling distance in cooler months, I gear up and the only change as temps fluctuate is opening cuffs and vents. For commuting, I like shells. Keep everything clean and dry. In the summer, I must admit I don't often wear waterproof anything unless I'm leaving in the rain or riding into rain. Shells stay in the bike until they're needed. I used 5.11 hi-viz patrol parkas for years. Great, no-flap fabric, but they get a weird delamination after a year or two.

Thanks for all the help Gents, I ordered the Nelson Rigg AS 3000 two piece from Rev Zilla. If it gets here today I will have to try it out tomorrow, 4 inches of rain in the forecast. That should be enough to test it out.

So much for the drought in Northern Ca, we are getting huge amounts of moisture this winter.

A little to the party but here is my 2 cents! I have a tour master set of rain gear that works well for me. I rarely use the jacket now that I got the liner for my motoport. Did not get the liner for the pants. Jacket liner works for my mesh jacket as it dries quickly. The stretch pants don't dry that quick so the tour master rain pants work well. All the suggestions mentioned here work well. You just have to pick and choose. A garbage bag could work in pinch if you had to, lol.

Also late to the conversation, but found a new rain suit called Ride Tribe at AIMExpo in Orlando in October. (Google: Ride Tribe rain gear). A one-piece suit of breathable ripstock nylon that goes on quick, over boots, with two zippers. They had a show special and the booth was busy with lots of riders buying. I still haven't received my suit (back-ordered), but they promise delivery soon.

Ordered the Nelson Rigg AS 3000 in Hi Vis Orange from Revzilla on Tuesday and had it Wednesday.

Today was just the kind of frog chocking day I needed to test it out on a nice little 100 mile ride on the KLR. Only real way to test it is to ride the most naked bike I have. Well, that and the fact the other bikes were nice and clean.

The good...it really is a bright color, perfect for riding in really shitty rain conditions.

The bad... it failed. Really didn't notice until pealing off the rain gear I found way too many wet areas of my motoport gear. Hadn't soaked to the bone yet but not what I want on an all day ride. It was a really great ride with swollen creeks, rivers and waterfalls. Beat the shit out of working any day.

More good... I will return it for the Horizon rain gear form Olympia. With all the pineapple express rain we are getting this winter and the KLR as a good wet weather mule I'll just keep testing until I get what I need.
evil.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a leak in the Bass Pro Shops Goretex suit. It is seriously sealed. And you can pick pant size and jacket size separately to get the best possible fit. I bought mine off the rack in the store.

I used Tour Master Sentinel jacket and pants. Only one time it didn't keep me dry, I got caught in a very very intense micro burst and water made it's way through the vent zipper. In a normal hard rain at highway speeds I stayed perfectly dry. Very comfortable around my neck, really like the hood concept to keep water from running down the back of your neck.

I had mesh jacket and pants and would put the rain gear on over the top, complete pain getting on and forget about getting it on quickly. That's not a knock on Tour Master it's just the way it is trying to get stuff on over already bulky riding gear and bulky riding boots. Disliked it so much I bought Klim Gore-Tex gear so I don't have to deal with that anymore.