Winter rain gear over riding suit, suggestions please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode up to Auburn's tech meet a few years ago and found plenty of rain the last couple of days on the way up. And pretty much all the way home afterwards. I was soaked when I got there with my cheap nylon-type rain gear and ended up making a side trip to REI in Seattle. It worked great and still does. Two pieces, compact to carry in the side case, easy on-easy off. And serves two functions, since it blocks wind nicely whether it's raining or not. I'll show it to you next time I see you; it's always with me.

As bulky as Moto Port is, though, just make sure you're wearing that when you go to buy the rain gear. I've ridden in very heavy rain, and all day long, too, and never got wet at all. (Does have a removable hood, too.)

I use Nelson Rigg TourMaster 2 piece. Believe me, I've ridden in some all day frog-and-duck stranglers (Sanford, Maine to Greensboro, NC comes to mind) (or Key West to Miami during Tropical Depression Charlie at 4am with sideways Forrest Gump rain) and they do well to keep me dry. What I like:

a) snap-on stirrup thingees to keep the pants leg down, standard;

2) fold-over flap on jacket zipper- zip, flap, velcro shut;

c) tall collar for tucking up into the helmet;

4) velcro shuts on the cuffs- fit over or under gloves;

e) aforementioned hoodie in the collar for under the helmet;

6) external pants pocket for wallet, drop phone/gps in, etc;

7) pockets in jacket are there but I rarely if ever use them;

h) zippers at leg bottoms allow for donning or removal without removing boots (can be done but it's a pain if you have a bad back).

It cost me about $70 for the set and I've been using them at least 5 yrs. Excellent value! I like the fact that they're 2 piece. If it looks like I might hit rain but not right now, I just put on the pants since they require sitting for me- where you gonna sit on the side of the road? I can stop and have the jacket on in 10 seconds. And later, when it stops raining for a while? Take the jacket off, leave the pants on and keep on going. Helps keep the rain spray from soaking you, too.

ETA: the hoodie thing isn't really, truly waterproof so make sure your helmet vents shut. I sometimes stick a piece of electrical tape over the front ones to help keep water out. And CampDry is your friend.

ETAx2: IMO Frogg Toggs suck. Not well made, not particularly good at keeping me dry. I learned the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bug, I have the Tourmaster two piece also. The pants have an elastic strap that runs under my boots, like baseball pants, to keep them from creeping up. They've worked pretty well, and I got mine on sale. Don't remember how much, but it wasn't much. Probably south of $50.

Last trip to Oregon I watched some floating inner tube style fisherman. Legs in water, up to belly button. Fascinated to see his street clothes were absolutely dry.. pants, socks, didn't ask about undies..

But still. Submersed in water for hours. And dry.

We bikers are so dumb we make fishermen look smart.

Anyone else tried fishermen style gear?

Found the pix..

10.jpg

I'm going to be the lone voice of dissent. No one will agree with me.

I'm ok with that.

This year I replaced my Tourmaster Elite II rain suit.

Whenever I wore it, I got just as wet as if I didn't wear anything at all.

Not because it leaked or wasn't effective, but from sweating.

There is no provision for ventilation. This may not be a problem

at lower temps, but I was always soaked from wrist to elbow.

And I found getting the cuffs over gauntlets harder than it should be.

For this year I purchased Frogg Toggs for me and my passenger.

And I couldn't be happier. Keeps me dry and breathes well.

For the occasional use when it's really needed, it's hard to beat.

'Bug, you know I like my 'stich as it works so well for the all day wet we get in the great NW. Add a heated liner and it's paradise...but that's just me.

Keep a lookout for non motorcycle specific rain gear as well. Just yesterday, I was window shopping and spotted a set of Columbia goretex gear and I thought it would perform great on the bike. Bonus there, it'll breathe so you don't end up wet from the inside. I also have two sets of Frogg Toggs and unlike others, haven't had any issues with their performance.

Glad you guys are finally getting some much needed moisture!

--G

'Bug, you know I like my 'stich as it works so well for the all day wet we get in the great NW. Add a heated liner and it's paradise...but that's just me.
Keep a lookout for non motorcycle specific rain gear as well. Just yesterday, I was window shopping and spotted a set of Columbia goretex gear and I thought it would perform great on the bike. Bonus there, it'll breathe so you don't end up wet from the inside. I also have two sets of Frogg Toggs and unlike others, haven't had any issues with their performance.

Glad you guys are finally getting some much needed moisture!

--G
I use my Marmot ski shell. 3-layler gortex, breathes well and keeps me dry. Its pricey but I use it for all outdoor activities year round.

Great feed back guys, thanks. I have the motoport liners and for me the pants work better than the jacket. It just sucks that in no time my suit is soaked, in a cold fog strangler I want to stay completely dry. Side note...it was fun hitting some puddles on the KLR yesterday
Snorkle.gif

After the feed back here and a morning of surfing the net I going to go with two piece gear. The Olympia has some awesome reviews but a bit more $$.

I also am really looking hard at the Nelson Rigg that rbentnail mentioned (great review), I have their cover for my wing and very impressed with their product.

It just dawned on me that once I buy a suit I'll have to go for a long ride on a rainy day to report back here the results. With the monster wet year we are having in Northern Ca this winter that will be easy.

Sorry about the snow George, I'm sure we will see some this winter.

I use a motocentric jacket, and frog togs horny toadz rainpants, and have for years (the jacket is great, but the motocentric pants sucked). They pretty much stay on the bike. I have a waterproof jacket (sedici rapido) and waterproof pants (Firstgear HT overpants), and they keep me very dry, but sometimes it's nice to confine the wet to the shell, and be able to put the shell away when you're done. There are days, I must admit, where I'm leaving in the rain, and I put the motoport jacket on over my riding jacket, just because I don't want to deal with a slimed and (externally) soaked jacket when I get to the office. For an all day ride, I usually just rely on the core jacket/pants and leave the shells stowed.

I rode up to Auburn's tech meet a few years ago and found plenty of rain the last couple of days on the way up. And pretty much all the way home afterwards. I was soaked when I got there with my cheap nylon-type rain gear and ended up making a side trip to REI in Seattle. It worked great and still does. Two pieces, compact to carry in the side case, easy on-easy off. And serves two functions, since it blocks wind nicely whether it's raining or not. I'll show it to you next time I see you; it's always with me.
As bulky as Moto Port is, though, just make sure you're wearing that when you go to buy the rain gear. I've ridden in very heavy rain, and all day long, too, and never got wet at all. (Does have a removable hood, too.)
Interested in this Mike, can you post up a link?

You know, that's a badass balaclava. All it takes is a little wicking action at the neck to turn a long ride completely soggy, no matter how good your gear is. Gonna have to get one of those.

I used Frog Toggs for a while. They kept me dry but didn't last long giving up the ghost during the Mexico Monsoon guided trip I participated in with Russ Perry and the AZ Beemers bunch.

Today I have a Outdoor Research Helium 2 rain jacket. It is expensive but I get double duty out of it when I go hiking. Plus is folds up into nothing and it is breathable.

For my legs I use the Olympia Horizon Rain Pants - they came with the riding pants.

These work great. I kept me dry on the ride in California in October and --G and I got rained on hard during day three. A side benefit of having over gear rain apparel is it creates a wind barrier. This dramatically increases the amount of insulation provided by your main jacket.

Best wishes in your search. Quack.

These work great. I kept me dry on the ride in California in October and --G and I got rained on hard during day three. A side benefit of having over gear rain apparel is it creates a wind barrier. This dramatically increases the amount of insulation provided by your main jacket.
^^This. I've been known on many occasions to leave town and encounter unexpected temperature drops in the NC mtns. The rain jacket makes a perfect light weight wind barrier for the chilly, foggy rides in th BRP.

Interested in this Mike, can you post up a link?
What I bought was just their in-house brand that they had in stock when I went in the store (keep in mind this was Fall in Seattle, so they had lots of stock on hand). Their website lists a lot of choices and I'm not sure which one it is. Same offer I gave Dougie: I'll show you when I see you. :)

I am with Carver. Although I also like Iggy's solution.

I bought a Gore Tex Bass Pro Shops two piece rain suit, some waterproof gloves and some Boot covers 10 years ago. Although I avoid rain whenever possible these days, I used to not let it change my plans. I would go, rain or shine. This relatively inexpensive and well made solution works great for me.

Three problems though.

1. It's badged Bass Pro Shop.

2. It takes up space on the bike.

3. If you get caught by surprise, you have to stop and put it on.

If these don't bother you, it's a good system. If I expect rain, I forget the boot covers and just put on Sidi Megas when I depart from home.