Winter riding jacket recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azbikergirl

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a jacket to wear for winter, but I don't want to mess with electrics. Just something to keep the shivers at bay, more protective than stylish. Anyone have a favorite jacket (that maybe comes in a ladies version)?

Thanks!

Layers, layers, layers... Best way to go IMO.

I have a Joe Rocket somethingorother with the zip out lining. On cooler days, I'll wear a tee, a long sleeve shirt of heavy weight, then a fairly heavy sweater, then the lined jacket.

Don't forget your britches, either. I wear a pair of Patagonia's fleece 'camp' pants under my jeans or riding pants. Keeps me toasty warm all day (and cool in the heat of summer).

I'd say go for fit and comfort first as women's gear is rather limited. BMW (remove the propeller badges) clothing might be a consideration as they have a good selection of clothes for gals...

Oh, and a kerchief for your chin and neck helps, too.

I wear the First Gear Kili and HT pants. Liners in for cold weather. When it gets really cold or I plan on a long ride in the cold I wear a hooded sweatshirt underneath with the hood bunched up on the back of my neck. The only things that get cold are my hands and feet. As TWN said, I believe any good jacket will be OK in the cold with enough layers underneath.

I just added the V-Strom handguards to deal with cold hands. I will probably need to get winter boots to keep my feet warm.

+1 for the First Gear Kili and HT pants. without layers I'm good to 20 degrees. Once the heated grips are on, maybe even cooler.

I wear the First Gear Kili and HT pants.
I have a closet full of riding gear and the First Gear Kili and HT pants is probably the warmest combination. The Kili jacket comes in women's sizes but I can't see much difference in the "cut", the women's jackets are definitely shorter in the trunk and arms and are cut a size smaller than the men's jackets.

This is also a very waterproof combination but might be a bit of an overkill in cost if you don't plan on using it very much. There are some other brands that have material that doesn't "breathe" as well as the First Gear, such as the Vega Nitro, but will provide the same amount of heat retention at a much lower cost. If price is a consideration, take a look at Motorcyclegearreview.com

Joe Rocket Ballistic is the best I've seen. Get something a size larger and throw a wind proof polar fleece underneath. Toasty.

My pillion has a fieldsheer thistle jacket. It's a specificly women's jacket, has a nice fully sleeved liner, and is the normal protective motorcycle jacket with armor and such. It has a good high collar which is nice in the winter, and women's jacket is actually fit for a woman (so she says, I wouldn't really know about that). It's also has sections that are HIGHLY reflective at night, but only looks like white piping during the day.

It's also last year's model and on closeout at several places, like here, for only $65.99 plus shipping. I have no clue about this vendor, just happend to be on the first google page searching "fieldsheer thistle"

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO, aside from electrics, there's nothing like Goretex stuffed with Thinsulate (or equivalent). Motoport's liners are this type of construction and they're just too warm to wear over 60 degrees F.

I have a Fieldsheer Monza II. I think it's been discontinued in favor of the Sprint Jacket. The description and pictures look similar anyway. They have a ladies model.

My jacket keeps me warm down to about 30 on the FJR. The only thing I don't like about it is the collar chafes my neck.

Ed

First Gear Kilamanjaro- You may want to wear it in AZ much of the time without the liner. Good luck also with your book. Regards.

PS the liner can also be worn by itself as a lightweight jacket-Looks good too! IMHO

Wow! Thanks everyone! I've got a list of things to try on (if I can find them locally).

My current leather jacket fits great with a regular wintry shirt on, but when I start adding layers, I feel like the Michelin Girl. I'm hoping to stay warm without feeling like a tree trunk. haha

Just something to keep the shivers at bay, more protective than stylish. Anyone have a favorite jacket (that maybe comes in a ladies version)?
Our Motoport Air Mesh Kevlars really fit the bill for protective and versatile. Gore-Tex liners with Polartec 200 fleece underneath has been plenty warm & dry so far, and they can be worn all year in different configurations. Custom fitted and plenty pricey. I just hope I never have to put 'em (or my sliders) to the asphalt test.

If you are interested in a base layer that is extremely comfortable to wear, very thin and very warm check out the products from Smartwool. It's 100% Merino wool, so it's not itchy, I hate itchy fabrics. This layer prevents the michelin girl effect you describe. I got one at my local outdoor recreation store, similar to REI.

www.smartwool.com

Also if your interested in very comfortable, warm, flexible pants that can easily be warn under your riding gear, check out the products from Mountain Hardwear. Also available at REI type stores.

www.mountainhardwear.com

These 2 items of clothing together make riding in the cold much more tolerable, combined with a good winter jacket & pants. Wifey swears by them also, as she no likey the cold(below 30deg). She also uses a product from Helimot, called the Helimuffler and loves it too.

www.helimot.com/helimuffler

First Gear Kilamanjaro III.
+1

Had the Kili original (not called a 1, but implied). Now have the 2. But, even after 4 years and at least 100,000 miles, the Kili1 is still servicable. My future SiL now uses it while riding his Daytona 600.