Winter riding jacket recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't find huge differences in warmth among the jackets in the upper half of the quality hierarchy, but I am careful to seek out units that don't have air leaks - unless I have an underlayer that blocks that like bib pants do.

Jackets with "square hems", Belstaff style stuff that gather at the waist but extend down over the hips to cover the crotch are are the ones most prone to air leaks. And I see several jackets of that style recommended to you. I do use those, but again, not unless I have another windproof and insullated layer beneath them.

I suggest you examine, in person, the new Cortech brand jackets, particularly the "Advanced Jacket", and "Advanced Sport Jacket". They are stocked by many accessory shops and MC dealers, particularly Honda here in California. They are a brand of parent Tour Master, and far better gear than the parent ever made. Click on the "...click for more" links on the page at https://www.tourmaster.com/# and scroll the window that opens to see the features.

They are a huge leap up in quality and features from the units I've seen mentioned so far. Collar and cuffs are washable leather lined and collar snaps so it doesn't flap when open. YKK zippers. Waterproof pockets. A fully integreated System - that really works - of flow-through venting to increase its useful temp range. Waterproofing that really and truly works. Good armor. Superb materials.

Really, do go examiine one of these live before you make your choice. Look how it's sewn together. See how the panels are cut. Look at the choices of materials in different places. Then look over how other makers produce their product. I'm not saying Cortech is "the best", just that doing things with the obvious care they have, is going to pay dividends. You get to choose what dividends you want -- but only if you know what can do what for you.

In terms of quality, I rate the Cortech unit only a half step below the fabulous Marsee Adventure jacket - with a different feature set. Only it fits most folks better, and its available for a moderate price.

And, it comes in women's sizes that actually fit real women.

Best wishes with your choice.

I have to put a vote towards Frank Thomas jackets. My wife and I have the waterproof jackets, hers has no lining but because she is alot more warm blooded, she can get away with a sweater and still keep dry. The mens jackets have liners and keeps you warm when it dips around 40 deg and lower. I can attest to Thomas jackets, especially when its 38deg and raining cats and dogs, I was absolutely dry, warm, no air drafts at all. When I just came back from a 1100mile trip I traveled through two extreme temp, one cold enough to put frostbikte on your chin and hands, and the other 89 deg weather here in southern california. I was able to withstand both, in the same jacket, plus the jacket has 6 vents to open when it does get hot, and I slip out the liner and feel cool enough for the rest of the ride. Excellent jacket you can get at Cycle Gear stores.

I wear a Cortech Light Jacket, with the liner zipped in if it is below 50 degrees or so, and start adding layers as it gets colder. I've never needed more than a nice flannel shirt over a longsleeved T-shirt, under the Cortech. The coldest I've ridden in is 35-40 degrees.

Brian

I bought the Kili II from motorcyclecloseouts and am happy with it. I've ridden w/o electrics down to 17 degrees and was warm enough for about an hour ride or so. Mid 20s and up is just fine. I do have one comment though - I bought the large and I was right in the middle of the "large" sizing chart -- only complaint is that the sleeve is tight across the forearm; yeah, it's because there's good armor for the elbow. But, this is the limiting factor in adding clothing under the jacket, difficult to jam it through the sleeves. And no, I don't have Popeye like ham hock forearms! Overall a good jacket and I'm happy with it.

Thanks to everyone who weighed in with a recommendation. I'm going down this weekend to try a few on and see. I see your point, rdfrantz. Leaks = bad.

+1 for the First Gear Kili and HT pants. without layers I'm good to 20 degrees. Once the heated grips are on, maybe even cooler.
+2 with caveat that I wear the Kilimanjaro Air with liner in the cold. Rode over Donner Pass in the Sierra in December with no problems.

+ 1 the FirstGear Kili Air jacket (and pants) works surprisingly well in the cold weather, tho prolly not as good as the regular Kili. My main intent with the Kili Air was to get some crash protection when its hot. But the excellent inner liner is keeping me warm and dry when I can squeeze in a ride in winter Idaho. This means commuting or rides less than 2 hours in my case.

It is a fairly bulky jacket, but can cover a LOT of climates using the two layers, good for early spring and fall road trips, as well as summer. The fit of it favors a taller or lanky person, IMO, so this could be a factor. :agent:

Cortech is definitely another vendor to check.

Last edited by a moderator: