Wisconsin Road Help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeFJR06

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a little trip for a small group of riders. One option is to stay somewhere in Door County, Wisconsin. I know absolutely nothing about the roads in Wisconsin that are great for riding. I know, that's bad when I live only one state away. Anyhow, I want to change that. Can I please get some help from you that have riden Wisconsin? Also, if you have a suggestion of where to stay in Door County, that would be great. Or, if you know of a better place to stay than Door County, please pass that along too.

Thanks everyone,

Fred

I'm trying to put together a little trip for a small group of riders. One option is to stay somewhere in Door County, Wisconsin. I know absolutely nothing about the roads in Wisconsin that are great for riding. I know, that's bad when I live only one state away. Anyhow, I want to change that. Can I please get some help from you that have riden Wisconsin? Also, if you have a suggestion of where to stay in Door County, that would be great. Or, if you know of a better place to stay than Door County, please pass that along too.
Do *NOT* stay at the Comfort Inn in Rhinelander. We were on the first floor (I believe it has 3 floors) and our bathroom had a waterfall coming through the light fixture directly over the toilet. It wasn't raining THAT hard! No Internet, no price break and no food within walking distance.

Oh, watch for deer on the alphabet soup of back roads.

The peninsula roads aren't anything to write home about although the lakeside scenery can be nice.

If you want both scenery and great riding in Cheeseland, check out where the CFO is held...and ride south and east from there.

The best riding I have found is the region north of the Wisconsin River, south of the interstate, east of the Mississippi, and west of Hillsboro and Lone Rock.

This is not the only area for good riding in that region, but it covers alot of it.

Others will chime to give you better ideas.

Edit: Stay off US Routes, try to get alphabet roads like Cnty P for interesting back roads, 3 digit state roads, and SOME 2 digit state roads like 33, 82, 56 for sweepers and the occasional twisty section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, what Wheatys said. I've never been to Door county but my impression is an overpriced cabin experience with a bunch of Chicagoans wearing sweaters tied around their necks.

If you looking for good riding in Wisconsin Wheaton's description is spot on. If you'd like to expand your horizons a bit the riding along the Mississippi River in Minnesota and Iowa is very nice also. There's also on the MN side the Root River Valley. It's no coincidence that CFO is based in La Crosse WI, right in the center of all this. Oh, did I mention CFO, go here and here for more details on that. If the timing is right, join us!

Wife and I did Door County the first weekend I had the FJR. It was a good opportunity to get used to the FJR .. i.e. not many curves. Scenery was OK, but that place is a tourist trap so expect traffic.

But for the good stuff .. like others have said. go to the southwestern part of the state. There's a reason we chose to move to Red Wing (MN) when we left Oregon, and that is the close proximity to the roads in WI. Get a Wisconsin Gazetteer and you'll see how many good roads there are.

In particular .. Hwy 33 through Wildcat Mountain State Park. Hwy 108 south of Mindoro. And lots more.

An interesting town of note is New Glarus, WI. It's like a little switzerland in style, and has a great brewery. We stayed at the SwissAire Motel one weekend - not a super posh place, but reasonably priced and a short walk from the Glarner Stube, which is the best place to taste New Glarus Brewing Co. products, and can be a gateway to roads west.

Hi,

Following the shore line up the lake Michigan side is nice. Website might help https://www.doorcounty.com/plan/ideas/sundae-drive.aspx

North of Milwaukee look up Hogs back road https://www.richfieldhistoricalsociety.org/...p/township.html, also Holy Hill chruch or monastary https://www.holyhill.com/Basilica/MassSchedule.aspx

The lake shore between Milwaukee and Door county has some pretty parks and views. North of Green Bay the lake shore is actually the bay shore and is pretty unimpressive until you get up to Michigan.

Manitowoc has a world war II submarine that you can walk thru.

Green bay of course has Packer Stadium with tours available.

In the summer Green Bays "Bay Beach" park is a old style amusement park with rather low prices.

In Door county the resaurant with the live goats on the roof is fun, and several years ago had great food. https://www.aljohnsons.com/swedish_family_restaurant/faqs.asp

Good luck

Jim

Here are a couple of helpful links:

Linky

More Linky

I put together a ride starting in the Twin Cities last summer. Day 1 ran us down to Dubuque, on the 'sconnie side of the river. Day 2 ran us up to Wausau, to see an old college buddy. Day 3 took us up to Grand Marais, on the North Shore of Lake Superior. Day 4 ran us over to Ely, then back down to the Twin Cities. Day 1 and Day 3 were my favorites, by far. Depending on how long you are going to be out, considering you are coming from IL, a nice trip might be to start in the SW part of Wisconsin, and run up to Superior. I still have the Mapsource routes, if you want to check them out. Good luck!

I appreciate all the input and will make plans accordingly. Not sure yet when this little getaway will take place. I'm guessing sometime in July or September. That seems to be when everyone can make the trip. Would be nice to make it to CFO, but not sure yet if I can swing it.

Thanks again. I still welcome any comments anyone has to make.

Fred

(Smoke)