Women who ride FJRs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheesyRider

Reaction score
My wife has decided to try my FJR this year. This made me wonder how many women on this forum pilot their own FJRs? And what bike was owned previously? My wife is currently riding a Bandit 1250.

I'm hoping she loves the FJR when she tries it. Then, we can sell the Bandit and get a dual sport.

I ride my own. Been doing so since '04. Previous bike was a Kawasaki Ninja EX500

Last edited by a moderator:
Lowering link will make it a lot easier to manage regardless of her height

Auron, is that a generalization/stereotype that all women are short & weak? That's sure what it sounded like to me.

Auron, is that a generalization/stereotype that all women are short & weak? That's sure what it sounded like to me.
Wheee! Food fight!

To not run afoul of the OPs topic, my bride is strictly a 'rear admiral'. Her choice, even before a disability removed the option.

We are definitely not going to lower it. She is tall enough to have her feet securely planted on the ground, so I don't see much advantage to lowering it. Plus, I'd hate to lose cornering clearance and the ability to use the center stand.

The main reason she didn't try the FJR last year is that she was apprehensive about the weight. But, that's how she felt about the Bandit before she rode it and now she loves that bike. She has a long commute and is a bit envious of the FJRs weather protection, heated grips, big gas tank, and shaft drive.

Here a couple of riders from Canada and New England:

MEM

4345cdcb-d2f8-4ae2-8947-d4aa0d21d712_zps670d040f.jpg

Iris
_MG_5057a_resize.jpg

There are/have been a number of women riders.

If there is ever a situation where the riding might be tough, all good riders have their ground crew waiting to assist:

Queen Mary Ellen with court jesters L - R Beemerdons, Bustanut joker, (the Queen) and FJRGuy.

IMG_4911sm.jpg

We are definitely not going to lower it. She is tall enough to have her feet securely planted on the ground, so I don't see much advantage to lowering it. Plus, I'd hate to lose cornering clearance and the ability to use the center stand.

The main reason she didn't try the FJR last year is that she was apprehensive about the weight. But, that's how she felt about the Bandit before she rode it and now she loves that bike. She has a long commute and is a bit envious of the FJRs weather protection, heated grips, big gas tank, and shaft drive.
I hope she loves the FJR but the Bandit is one of the most user friendly liter+ bikes ever made. I went from a Bandit to the FJR. I have a 29 inch inseam and have to be damn careful parking in gravel or slopeing parking areas. Backing up slope requires me to walk along side to move the bike. Not so much a problem on the Bandit. Once the FJR is moving, its a dream. Bandit is easier to master in these parking situations. If riders have a problem with the FJR it's not whether they or male or female but rather their inseam length. The bike is heavy and hard to manuever on tippy toes.

Bill

Lol, I thought I might take some sh__ for that post as I was typing it.

Lowering it will make it more managable in every respect, it's more about manuvering it at gas stations and such, not about flat-footing. Unless she's a scraper (which she very well could be) I wouldn't think ground clearance would be an issue. Or she could very well out-bench press us (which she very well could) and be in the same boat as the rest of us.

Sounds like you've made up your mind already, but it was just my 2 measly cents.

My wife has decided to try my FJR this year. This made me wonder how many women on this forum pilot their own FJRs? And what bike was owned previously? My wife is currently riding a Bandit 1250.
I'm hoping she loves the FJR when she tries it. Then, we can sell the Bandit and get a dual sport.
Why not keep all three? One can never have too many fillies in the stable, no? ;)

I can't recall any women riders out here in SoCal........of course my long term and short term memory is uhhhh.......what was the question again..........

When I had the Valkyrie there was a gal Sue who rode the heck out of the things.......that just never did compute........but she was good.............

I can't recall any women riders out here in SoCal........of course my long term and short term memory is uhhhh.......what was the question again..........
When I had the Valkyrie there was a gal Sue who rode the heck out of the things.......that just never did compute........but she was good.............
The Silver Penguin comes to mind... for a start?