world smallest replacement HID ballast super slim HID

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaTom

Reaction score
eBay link: world smallest replacement HID ballast super slim HID

Well, I got em, and they sure are small compared to the ones that came with the kit.

DSCF0127.jpg

Notice the small holes in it, no need to bracket it, just use some #6 screws, or zip ties. I'm considering adhesive Velcro, but I think I need to test heat output first. I'd hate to have the glue heat up and smear off.

This is what came in the box. There's an extra lead to the ballast, but you don't need it if you already have an HID kit. (extra lead is on the left)

DSCF0122.jpg

I'm thinking this is where they're gonna live. i'll slide them back a little, and maybe drill one small hole for a zip tie to ensure they don't move if I do decide to Velcro them down.

DSCF0125.jpg

The new ballasts just plugged right in. With the Fairing off the bike, I could only plug in one light at a time, and let that be a lesson to you, don't leave a ballast plugged in to power, if you don't also have it plugged into the light bulb. that little fella will arc like a tazer... not good.

Is this kit for Lo Beam only?, if yes what do you do for Hi Beam?

What bulb size and color do you recommend, the standard H4 and 6000K as they suggest or something different?

The $39 price per ballast/side, not two right?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this kit for Lo Beam only?, if yes what do you do for Hi Beam?What bulb size and color do you recommend, the standard H4 and 6000K as they suggest or something different?

The $39 price per ballast/side, not two right?

Thanks for your help.
This eBay item is only the ballast, no bulbs or other items, just what you see in picture #1. The ballast is just a ballast, the high/low beam has to do with the telescopic bulb assembly. THIS thread is where the telescopic kit discussion started. That kit does high/ low with a big ballast.

I got the 4300 bulb, it's pretty white. If I had a blue bike, I'd might gotten the 6000 blueish bulb. But alas, my bike is maroon....

You need one ballast per bulb. Yea, $39 each ballast, +$15 shipping per ballast. (no combined shipping) If you have a good hiding place for one big ballast, you only need to buy one slim one.

I'm sure if I spent the time wading through all the other HID posts I could find this, but where can I find a low-beam only HID kit (I'll run aux lights for the highbeams)? This small ballast setup looks pretty attractive; should I just make up my own kit?

TIA,

Dennis

So far I've been avoiding the whole HID thing, but this makes placement of the ballasts a little too easy to ignore. Tom, if you get a nasty pm from my wife just ignore her. :lol:

Great find Indiana Tom, I just ordered 2. My system is working great but I'm a little concerned about the clearence issues with the ballasts I have that are under the tank. I'm a little concerned with the heat issue and these have taken up alot of space in that area.

Again great find!

BTW if you give me a ride in your avatar, I'll let you fly mine! :clapping:

I wish I could take credit for finding it, but I think 85turbo found it here

After running the ballast for 4-5 mins, it is barely warm to the touch. I don't think I'll have any trouble with velcro and a zip tie. The back (bottom) of the ballast is quite smooth, nice for adhesive.

If I decide to convert to an HID setup do I need to buy one or two conversion kits?

Would that be H-4 kits?Plus the slim ballasts.

The e-bay site in this thread sells the kits for $39.95 plus $40 for shipping.

The slim ballasts are $39.99 plus $15 shipping.

I don't really know much about this setup,anyone that can tell me exactly what I need I'd appreciate it.

I've read the other comments of whats needed but would like to make sure.

I simply *detest* the thought of ripping everything out to get the ginormous ballasts out and the new skinny ones in. You people suck. :D

If I decide to convert to an HID setup do I need to buy one or two conversion kits?Would that be H-4 kits?Plus the slim ballasts.

I don't really know much about this setup,anyone that can tell me exactly what I need I'd appreciate it.

It might not hurt to send him an email and ask if he has any H4 hi/low telescoping kits with the slim ballasts. Perhaps he can sell you parts and save you some cash as opposed to buying a full kit with fat boys, and then buying extra slim ballasts.

If I decide to convert to an HID setup do I need to buy one or two conversion kits?Would that be H-4 kits?Plus the slim ballasts.

It might not hurt to send him an email and ask if he has any H4 hi/low telescoping kits with the slim ballasts. Perhaps he can sell you parts and save you some cash as opposed to buying a full kit with fat boys, and then buying extra slim ballasts.
thanks for the tip tom

I asked him for a price for a pair of low-beam only 4300k H4's with the super small ballasts and needed wiring, got a reply for $149 but he didn't say if it included shipping so I emailed him back asking. I also asked him about a price for a package with the small ballasts and Bi-Xenon's. No reply yet. And it sounds like he's legit if IndianaTom got goods from him.

Dennis

IMO the 6000K temp mentioned above would make for a beam that is too "blue" for most people's tastes (and maybe draw LEO attention?). If you're looking for usable light and not "bling", drop the temp down some.

IMO the 6000K temp mentioned above would make for a beam that is too "blue" for most people's tastes (and maybe draw LEO attention?). If you're looking for usable light and not "bling", drop the temp down some.
I was kinda worried about that but it turned out not to be the case. The 6Ks are almost indistinguishable from the 4.3Ks to my eye. Very slightly more blue (which I like since the main benefit to me of HIDs is daytime conspicuity). No LEO trouble yet (knock wood). Still, I'd just as likely go with 4.3k again next time to get the max lumens possible. All my other HID conversions have been 4.3k.

I recieved my mini ballasts today and they should fit with no problem. What is the small black case attached to the silver metal case for?
I am far from an expert on HID ballasts, but I gather it's an ignitor, or something. As far as ignitors go, I GUESS it's a burst up transformer of some sort, like a higher voltage for a moment to get the fire going. I'm guessing that because the wire from the ignitor to the bulb is thicker (more insulated) than the wire from the ballast to the ignitor.

BTW if you give me a ride in your avatar, I'll let you fly mine! :clapping:
I wasn't ignoring that, jut too ashamed/ hurt to admit that it's only a picture of a childhood dream that appears will never be... My therapist says it's good to talk about it... so thank you... I guess.