XM / Sirius Radio - Who's still got them?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the Convenience of radio anywhere is worth it:

• I'd pay more.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • The current price is fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's overpriced, but I'm staying

• I'm out when my subscription is up

• I'm already out.

• Total voters
Sure, TR is under attack...but it has weapons satellite and internet radio will never have.
like the FCC to change the rules to keep them in business....
Such as???

If you know of such a rule change I'm not aware of, or have interpreted differently from the way you have, I'd be interested in knowing what that/those rules are.

I'm also curious why you have such an axe to grind against TR. If it's because your radio market has been fuxored beyond all recognition by the "Mega" companies like Clear Channel, I can understand. But to paint the entire industry with the same brush is like saying all motorcyclists drive obnoxiously loud V-Twins made in Milwaukee.
this is a big market. it's messed up. it's my exposure to TR so i can't speak for mom-and-pop shops.

when the fcc fines someone for content broadcasted years previously (that it didn't fine for at the time it went out) then they have an agenda.

as for "local color"... if by that you mean The Ticket, the Morning Drive Time KaaaRAiZEE ZOO shows, or the DJs with banter stuck in the 80's, then i ain't missin' nuttin by simply having constant music (programmed or not) with an occasion self-promotion (and no ads). a talk show personality is unique (which is why they have G Gordon Liddy to laugh at/with). but DJs bring little to the table and are easy to program onto the digital rotation.

Also a great point about content. Short of Sirius, internet radio is the next-best choice for the content I like (Blues, Jazz, etc.). Internet radio would be through the phone and dependant on tower availability (rare in the western outback of the US and big bend areas of TX). Locally only a few of the NPR stations have anything of (that kind of) substance which brings up some issues:

1. those that carry more than talk tend to do so in 1 hour incriments based on donations. that means content might be jazz when i turn off the radio and some country crap when i turn it back on.

2. i often have to slug through their political bias to get to music.

3. channel fade of TR as you move more than 50 miles in any direction.

So when I want my Thelonious Monk, Muddy Waters, or Miles Davis I know where to turn. TR ain't it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, thanks (I think). Despite its MANY warts, TR has advantages over "widecast" formats such as sat or i'net radio. But those benefits are only for the local listener. If "Joe Local" doesn't care about a watermain out on Central Avenue, or who the Podunk Panthers are playing Friday night, or what time the local March of Dimes "Walk" kicks off, the widecasters make sense, especially, like Bounce says above, TR fade certainly is a problem.

Bounce, I see from your profile you're in Ft. Worth, the #5 radio market in America. I'm right on the edge of both market #s 19 + 34, so I know what "Bigger Market" radio sounds like. Crash Cash perfectly describes it in his post in relation to Market #34, Orlando. Yep, CC, I know each one of the stations you mentioned and pretty much, all they have become are Corporate Clones of every Clear Channel, Cox and Infinity stations in the country. Even their freakin' websites all look the same! :blink:

this is a big market. it's messed up. it's my exposure to TR so i can't speak for mom-and-pop shops.
Which is, I'm sure, 100% true, and just as much, truly a shame, because there ARE companies, like the one I work for, that SUPERserve their audiences, although mom-and-pop shops might be an oversimplification. My company, for example, operates 21 stations from Providence, Rhode Island, to Burlington, Vermont, to Lancaster, Pennsylvania, to Norwhich/New London, Connecticut, to Lakeland, Florida. The company is closing in on 50 years in business, but has been able to sustain, even grow, because all 21 stations are "local" stations. When I joined the company 25 years ago, there were 5 stations in the chain. Adding another 16 in a quarter century speaks well for this mom-and-pop shop.

The corporate homogenization of radio is what's killing it, not the empty-headed, blathering DJs, the political biases, spot loads and tight playlists, or the emergence of non-traditional radio from satellites or the internet.

For example, as I noted earlier, "my" radio market, Lakeland/Winter Haven, is market #94. I think I said earlier in the thread it was #98, but I just checked Arbitron's market rankings and discovered we'd moved up. Combined, the Tampa and Orlando radio markets total 4 million listeners. My little pissant market is 500,000 listeners, directly between, and receiving signals from, two top 35 radio markets, yet our anchor station, facing that kind of "broadcasting power" has been the #1 station in the market for over 30 years. It hasn't been the music, talent or playlists that made and kept us #1, it IS that our station is also our listener's station.

As the "iPod Shufflers" age and become the preeminent consumers, this may change...but I assure you, terrestrial radio will "not go lightly into that good night." Apologies to Dylan Thomas. :)

Oh, and a couple of final notes.....

Feel no need returning to Sirius, I prefer local blabbermouths on air like RadioHowie; looking forward to listening to RH 3/13!
Don, I'm not on the air much, anymore. I got kicked "upstairs" a long time ago. Other than local high school football broadcasts, which is MUCH more fun than college or pro ball, and an occasional visit to a couple of our morning shows as "Captain Happy" (I used to be "Grumpy Old Man") I am not a regular "air talent". I did enough of that in the first 30 years of my radio career. The last 13 years in the biz have been in operations, as in, keeping the fuckers on the air. :)

Ah shoot, RadioHowie! While we are back in Orlando, I was really hoping that you could do an on air comedy skit about Bust and Shiny meeting a sheep and a goat in a Key West bar! With the punch line being the animals deciding who to pick up!

Ah shoot, RadioHowie! While we are back in Orlando, I was really hoping that you could do an on air comedy skit about Bust and Shiny meeting a sheep and a goat in a Key West bar! With the punch line being the animals deciding who to pick up!
That's RIGHT up the alley of what "Captain Happy" would do on the air. I'll remember. :)

I am so going to arrange a Sheep blockade across 28 in the U.P. this summer.. Yeah I already seen yer CFR route, remember?

An fukpickle? you let me know when your going to be on air with that stunt.. Ya know you're going to need my point of veiw..

:****:

:jester:

And Indie.... pretty much ferget about it on terrestrial outside of a college station.
tmc,

Can you get KVMR 89.5? I believe eclectic is the word. Reminiscent of KPIG/KFAT down near Hollister and KOTR in Cambria. Some bizarre programming (new-age spaceship stuff or Hawaiian music for an hour at a time) side-by-side with some really good stuff. The nice thing is, if you don't like what they're playing, it should be completely different in another hour or less.

RsvlFeej

That's RIGHT up the alley of what "Captain Happy" would do on the air. I'll remember. :)
Meh, they'd probably choose the radio techie who'd do anything up to and including a manatee. Phuckers...

:D

And Indie.... pretty much ferget about it on terrestrial outside of a college station.
tmc,

Can you get KVMR 89.5? I believe eclectic is the word. Reminiscent of KPIG/KFAT down near Hollister and KOTR in Cambria. Some bizarre programming (new-age spaceship stuff or Hawaiian music for an hour at a time) side-by-side with some really good stuff. The nice thing is, if you don't like what they're playing, it should be completely different in another hour or less.

RsvlFeej
Wowser RsvlFeej, you just took me on a stroll down Memory Lane! I moved to Phoenix from my hometown of Morro Bay 22 years ago, just sold off my home on Pine Street in Los Osos last year. KPIG, KFAT and KOTR were awesome radio stations!

https://www.hawaiianrainbow.com/Hawaiian_Mu..._Kamakawiwoole/ I love Hawaiian music; "Bruddah Iz" Still Rules, Brah!

tmc,

RsvlFeej
I think I've stumbled upon them in Tahoe @ 105.1.... I will check it out in the car later to see if I can get the Nevada City broadcast at 89.5

If I remember right last time I found them it was some really weird folk music happening. Right now I put them on my net radio and they were playing some folk banjo stuff which was actually not bad but kinda strange to be playing here at the office!! :guitar:

Not wanting to derail this topic too much more, but the Pocket Radio app for the iPhone allows you to listen to stations from everywhere!

:yahoo:

Only if the "anywhere" is within range of a tower. Also, 2010 seems to be the year when "unlimited"[1] data plans are to die based on increased use and static growth of infrastructure to support it.

Some of the stations in our area are The Bone, The Ticket, Kiss FM, Jack FM, etc. Of all of them The Russ Martin Show was the only creative thing in the whole area[2]. All the others are Morning ZOO (those zany antics), play lists that are so limited they repeat 5 times a day... and those are just the stations that'd I'd even consider listening to. It excludes all the country, sports, and hispanic stations.

Even KATT in OKC is better than most stations here in the bigger market. If for no other reason than they can't get enough advertisers in the smaller market to force them into a ad-to-content ratio that's upside down.

[1] When looking at the terms of your unlimited plan, please note that 10gb a month tends to be the max. Beyond that and you get charged excessive use rates. ACK! What part of "unlimited" has limits?

[2] Which got canceled when the station thought it'd be a good idea to go 24/7 sports... a market already sewn up by The Ticket in a market that won't support 2 such stations.

How ironic that I was just reading this thread when my phone notified me of an incoming e-mail. It was from XM asking me to complete a survey on why I canceled my subscription. Timely, eh? They killed off the only channel I liked well enough to pay for radio when they merged with Sirius. The price hike was the final nail in the coffin. I've since downloaded Pandora to my phone and am diggin' on that. Between that and my mp3 player, I can get along just fine without XM. Saving $17/month doesn't hurt my feelings any either.

Personally, I'm a fan of terrestrial radio. (I wonder why?)
I wouldn't blink an eye if their satellites fell out of the sky and landed on Howard Stern's house, killing all the occupants inside.

We in the "real" radio business are still gasping for breath after laughing so hard for the last nine years from all the prognostications how "we" would be out of business in five years. 2006 came and guess what....we were still in business. Another 4 years and lookee-lookee....Sirius/XM don't have two nickels to rub together and the wolves are at the door.

Still gasping for breath. :p

I'm sure you only use antenna for your TV (no cable/SAT).

I spend more time in my work truck/car/bike than at home so XM is more important than Dish Network to me.

I live in "Market #2" and there is no radio station that plays what I want to listen to!

My choices are Rap, Top 20, Classic Rock top 20, Classic Rock top 40, Country top 10, Spanish, Armenian, Classical collage station or "soft rock".

I have subscribed to XM since 02' and will keep with them as long as "TR" gives me no other choices.

I live in "Market #2" and there is no radio station that plays what I want to listen to!
My choices are Rap, Top 20, Classic Rock top 20, Classic Rock top 40, Country top 10, Spanish, Armenian, Classical collage station or "soft rock".

I have subscribed to XM since 02' and will keep with them as long as "TR" gives me no other choices.
The bigger the market, the fewer the choices. Typical of what IS wrong with TR.