Y.E.S. Warranty - coverage question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King

Reaction score
SITUATION:

I dropped my 05 at the dealer today with a left fork seal leak (bad). I hadn't riden the bike in over a month and it just sat in the garage. I pulled it out to put a fresh coat of clean on it and found a nice puddle under the front tire and running about 8 inches across my garage floor. I called Y.E.S and confirmed that fork seals are covered.

Upon further inspection, I found that as the fluid leaked it ran down the fork tube it soaked the brake pads on the left side, (I think we all agree that pads are pretty much junk after being soaked in oil.) Additionally, the fork oil ran down the side of the tire and created a puddle underneath that the tire has been sitting in for at least a few weeks I suspect. Again, rubber being soaked in oil or other chemicals will breakdown, get soft etc. You can totally feel a difference in the rubber and it is noticable softer where it was sitting in the oil and even around the side of the sidewall where the "tracks were".

QUESTION:

Will Y.E.S. cover the pads and tire as colateral damage? For the record the tire has about 1k on it and the bike has under 10k with plenty of pad material left, so I'm not just being a cheap ass looking for a free front tire and brakes. Even if the answer is no, I'm replacing the tire and pads myself because I like having 100% of my stopping power without a grabby feeling and I DO NOT want a tire blow out on a bike!

QUESTION 2:

If Mama Yama says "no dice" we'll cover the fork seal only, somebody give me a reality check and confirm that I do have a legitimate reason to pitch a bitch here.

You got them to cover the seals. They wouldn't cover that when I had some go bad after 25K. They called it wear and tear...like the rear shock. You could try....but would you pitch a fit with the dealer or Yamaha. If the dealer...you gotta live with those guys in future dealings.

I'd agree....Yammi seems to rarely cover seals, calling them normal wear items. IMO, they wont cover the pads and I think you are fortunate they are covering the seals.

Hmm, I didn't think I was "lucky" that they were covering the seals, I figured that was totally legit. But, the YES 800 number told me that yes, they would cover them.

Perhaps I'm allowing my Automotive background to enter into the equation here, but the manufacturer that I work for offers extended warranties, and will cover seals, shocks, hell even a serpentine belt, ball joints and tie rod ends are covered up to a maximum of 100,000 miles provided you get the best warranty we offer (there are 4 in total starting with powertrain coverage only and each gets more comprehensive as you go up). If those aren't wear items, I don't know what is, but we cover them.

I guess I'll just wait for a call and see what they say.

And yes, I would speak to the manufacturer, not the dealer. It's not the dealer's call, they are just administering the warranty. And, for the record, I wouldn't be a bastard about it to them, just a conversation. I'm not the type to go off on anyone over the phone. I'd bitch, but nicely :)

Thanks for the insight though guys.

If they're gonna cover the seal, I doubt they'll replace the collateral damage. However, if they do replace it under YES, they will probably only replace the bad one and won't touch the other fork leg.

I had a fork seal replaced and the dealer called YES and they said that it wasn't covered under YES. I struck a deal with them that, if they could get approval to do it under goodwill, I would cover the tab for the fork oil replacement in the other leg (not gonna have fresh oil in 1 leg and old in the other). IIRC - was well less than $100 and I didn't have to deal with the effort of remove/flush/replace.

I guess.... :unsure: read your contract.

Insurance is a wonderful thing -- you pay more premiums, you get more coverage. Instead of driving-down the purchase price of Y.E.S. -- (maybe?)request that MamaYama offer more insurance (more like a service contract) -- probably for a little more $$$.... :unsure:

To the main issue: it's been my experience that warranties have traditionally not covered gaskets, seals, and fluids.

Kawasaki's specifically includes gaskets and seals in their warranties. Haven't read what YCC (Canadian equivalent to YES) covers. I DO know they replaced my headlight assembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a fork seal go out on my 03 with 8,000 miles and it wasn't covered. I would replace the brake pads but I don't think its necessary to replace the tire. I would think if you took it easy for 40-50 miles any effects from the oil would be worn off. I wouldn't be scraping pegs on it for a while though.

I pretty much feel as the others. As far as fork oil on the tire im sure that the light wieght and no corrosive properties wont hurt the tire at all. Hell we use brake fluid for tire dressing while stationed in the desert. It would heal the cracking of the side wall rubber, and make them look nice too.

the fork oil ran down the side of the tire and created a puddle underneath that the tire has been sitting in for at least a few weeks I suspect. Again, rubber being soaked in oil or other chemicals will breakdown, get soft etc. You can totally feel a difference in the rubber and it is noticable softer where it was sitting in the oil and even around the side of the sidewall ...
twere me, i'd have the shop replace that tire when they do the warranty work ... no if, ands or buts.

street tire contacting oil issue

I have lots of experience with automotive warranties but have never had to use the ones attached to any of my bikes. I just ordered my YES warranty and don't have my paperwork yet, but as mentioned before, I would read through it. Usually if something is covered, and that thing breaking causes damage to something else, the warranty covers all of it since part -B would not have been damaged if part -A (warrantied part) had not broken.

Case in point, when the right rear seal on my '93 F-150 went out, the right rear brake was covered in axle grease. Since the warrantied seal broke and rendered the brake useless, they replaced the right rear brakes also. Pretty close to what you are looking at, but again, the difference between a MC warranty and an Auto warranty. I would at least ask; all they can say is no. I say the brakes are a big maybe. I bet the tire is probably a no.

Thanks all for the thoughts. I work for Ford and I am just used to what our warranties cover, and colateral damage is all covered if the root failure was a covered component.

I'll let you all know how this one turns out, but whether they pay or not, the pads and front tire are getting replaced. Just not worth taking the chance when on the bike.

I pay for life insurance too, but I don't want to have to use THAT coverage over a $120 tire or $40 brake pads that fail. Just not worth the chance with a family you know...

Conclusion:

After a call to Y.E.S., one call INTO the customer assistance center and one call back from a supervisor....

Fork seal covered (the one that failed) I paid for the other one. Might as well do it while they have it apart...

Brake pads, covered as goodwill.

Tire, not covered. Dealer reports that they think the tire will be fine. We'll see. Perhaps I'll take if for a nice easy ride and see what it looks like after that. If it's still swolen up and soft in that area, I've got a replacement out in the garage for it already.

Conclusion:
After a call to Y.E.S., one call INTO the customer assistance center and one call back from a supervisor....

Fork seal covered (the one that failed) I paid for the other one. Might as well do it while they have it apart...

Brake pads, covered as goodwill.

Tire, not covered. Dealer reports that they think the tire will be fine. We'll see. Perhaps I'll take if for a nice easy ride and see what it looks like after that. If it's still swolen up and soft in that area, I've got a replacement out in the garage for it already.
While some may disagree with the practice, on every tire that I have installed on my bikes, and every tire on every race bike I have worked on for the last 17 years, I use acetone on the tire after installation. Perhaps a good wipe down with acetone will help get rid of some of the residue.

Glad to hear it worked out for you.