Yamaha Comfort Gel Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toter

Reaction score
Picked up an almost new Gel seat off fleabay a while back. Have made several hour plus rides and really like the change over a stock seat on my 06. I used to have a Corbin on a Suzuki Bandit and the feel of the gel seat reminds me of that. Not a squishy seat like stock, which is just what me bum was looking for. It looks very good on the bike as well. Works for me!

Ed

Stock seat, squishy? Mine is hard as a rock. I don't wiegh but 150 and it doesn't compress much, but I don't think I'd ever consider it squishy. I've set on gel before and thought it was a little squishy. Oh well. I guess everyone has dfferent butt comfort and feel.

GP

I've got that gel seat also. It seems to work better for me than the stock one. I have found it best to try not to park in the hot sun. Riding after is like sitting in a bucket of hot oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely think the stock seat is soft. Grant it, after a few hours it really doesn't matter because it just hurts. Tried a Corbin, very hard. I love the shape of the Corbin, if only it was a little softer. Picked up a used Bill Mayer, built for 5'11" 190# and I'm 5'9" 170#. It is best out of the 3 seats I tried. Used it on a 300 mile ride Saturday, felt pretty good but still a little sore at end of the day.

Well, having Rich's custom seats around the corner, I chose to go that way. The stock seat was for my liking nothing less than a board, my rear end started hurting after one hour and got worse by the minute. Now with Rich's seat, it fits like a nice sneaker, I like to combo of custom shaped layer of different density foam and a gel pad to finish it. I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs, so I didn't like the idea from Corbin to have the seat built lowered... Also a reason for me to go for Rich's. I've done now two plus hour runs and I don't feel anything bad and my rear end is happy, which makes me happy LOL.

I started with the stock seat and found it unyielding and also too high for me (5'8", 28" inseam), so I bought a Rich's custom seat, w/ leather & stitching, and deeper/lower than the stock. After a few hundred miles I've found that the seat is very comfortable but the angle on the seat padding is slanted forward, so I slide towards the front/tank during the ride and am having to push back after some riding time, again and again. So, while in the parked position, I adjusted the seat to the "high" position and now the angle is just right, more level and comfortable. One key difference between the stock and most custom seats I've seen are: 1) the custom seat is wider in the back for more support room, and 2) the custom seat is usually "scooped" and broadened so that your butt fits into a wider "pocket" rather than riding on a flat surface. This distributes your weight better and if the underside is gel or flexible foam, you get a surface that adjust better to your shape and posture.

If you buy a custom seat and you find, after a few hundred miles, that you're really not sure it fits you, either go back to the maker and have it adjusted or sell it on this site for $ plus a stock seat and start over. The right fit is "priceless"!

See you on the highway,

Granger

Granger et al, After I got my custom Bill Mayer saddle, I felt like it was leaning forward (sporty) even though it was made to sit 'in the pocket' for touring. I removed the two rubber bumpers from the rear of the front seat, and now I sit flatter in the saddle, and don't crash into the tank. I can still sit back and lean forward if I want, but I prefer to sit more upright.

Granger et al, After I got my custom Bill Mayer saddle, I felt like it was leaning forward (sporty) even though it was made to sit 'in the pocket' for touring. I removed the two rubber bumpers from the rear of the front seat, and now I sit flatter in the saddle, and don't crash into the tank. I can still sit back and lean forward if I want, but I prefer to sit more upright.
Roger, great idea, I will try that. I really enjoy my '09 Feejer, LOVE the engine, but getting this riding position right for long rides is still the challenge. Since I got the Rich's seat I've also lowered the pegs (hwy pegs already installed) which also is a big help. I don't do much hard-over cornering, so not worried about scraping.