Yamaha Steering Nut Wrench

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Is there an acceptable lower cost alternative?

The Yamaha YU-33975 wrench is not cheap -- $34 + $4 shipping = $38.

The drawing of the wrench in the service manual shows a 20 mm radius for the wrench.

The following wrench works with 20 & 22.5 mm radius nuts:

https://www.pitposse.com/poststwr.html

$14.95 + $7.95 shipping = $22.90

But, you can't use a torque wrench with it unless you weld a socket fitting onto the wrench.

-----

ASIDE -- I somehow doubt that a Yamaha dealer is using this specific tool for this application. Do they have a generic wrench which they use for a variety of bikes?

Good question. I got a MIG welder and would be perfectly happy welding my own tool and pocketing the extra $30. But you would have to know the exact length of the Yamaha tool or it would mess up your torque settings, as the torque should be applied over a very specific length lever arm.

Option 1 is to call Gary at University Motors and you will get as good a price as is available.

Option 2 is to go to BikeJohnny in the UK and order the steering head tool for $42 but it also comes with a 19mm tool for the front axle. From the UK site:

ya10_09_020_50.jpg

The reason you want the Yamaha equivalent tool is the under cut right at the tip which accommodates the castellation of the nut. The front axle tool works great. If you have tried to use the tool that comes in the Yamaha tool kit you will quickly see something better in needed. Other people have found a variety of ways to cobble together axle tools but hey, if you are ordering the steering wrench why not get the axle tool too.

I went the BikeJohnny route a couple of years ago. I've found BJ to be just as fast as a domestic order and have had no problems with them. My tool has been loaned out to several other FJR owners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good question. I got a MIG welder and would be perfectly happy welding my own tool and pocketing the extra $30. But you would have to know the exact length of the Yamaha tool or it would mess up your torque settings, as the torque should be applied over a very specific length lever arm.

I think you use the Yamaha tool at 90d to the torque wrench, no need to "correct" the torque reading. I'm pretty sure I saw a scanned copy of that page from the service manual posted here somewhere. My manual is supposed to arrive tomorrow, I'll confirm then if someone doesn't beat me to it.

PTP

Is there an acceptable lower cost alternative?
The Yamaha YU-33975 wrench is not cheap -- $34 + $4 shipping = $38.

The drawing of the wrench in the service manual shows a 20 mm radius for the wrench.

The following wrench works with 20 & 22.5 mm radius nuts:

https://www.pitposse.com/poststwr.html

$14.95 + $7.95 shipping = $22.90

But, you can't use a torque wrench with it unless you weld a socket fitting onto the wrench.

-----

ASIDE -- I somehow doubt that a Yamaha dealer is using this specific tool for this application. Do they have a generic wrench which they use for a variety of bikes?

I wish I found it that cheap! I paid $50+, but I'm also I'm assuming that I'll have the bike at least 5 years...I can live with $10 a year as the cost of the right tool. I will say that I am a sucker for tools though...

PTP