Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aren't crash bars the thingies that you hang highway pegs on?

Heck yea... and some lights, and other farkels... :lol: This dude needs some LIGHT! ;)

Crashlightbar1.jpg

Crashlightbar.jpg

SUPER TENERE FIRST IMPRESSIONS VEDIO

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems most everyone who talks about the need for a switch on the bike has not actually ridden it in dirt or down hills etc. They are going from their own experience with other ABS equipped bikes I imagine. Here is a european's experience who has the bike and had a GSA before: by Old Git Ray from Advrider forum

Having owned a recent GSA and had the pants scared off me by the ABS, I would not (in future) take the GSA into the same situation that the S10 laughs at.

I suggest a video comparison would need to be done somewhere that there is a good flat run off area and that may be why it has not been done yet. As far as I can work out, most BMW users turn the ABS off before attempting this type of slope.

On the GSA I had the brakes fail on me of a fairly steep, wet grass, sheep field on my father in-laws Scotish farm. Soon after I got the S10, I read somewhere (from WASP I think) about grabbing hold of the front brake in ridiculous places. I tried it in the same place and conditions as I had tried the GSA. After a few attempts to pick up courage I did just that, placed blind faith in the brakes and...

It completely blew me away. No drama, no pulsing, it just dug in and stopped - real quick.

Edit: Both were done on the same tyres, literally, I took them off the GSA and put them on the S10. TCK80s.

doctorj

No One, not sure if you've dealt with the guys at Alt Rider, but in my experience, their product is ABSOLUTELY first rate and their customer service was pretty damned outstanding. I picked up a skid plate nad a couple other things for my '07 GSA and they are all freakin' awesome! Everything fit...uh...like it was made for the bike...I wouldn't hesitate for a moment ordering from them again.

As far as the big lights on that GSA up there...they just look like something else to tear off WHEN you (read: I) drop the bike...again. On that note, however, anyone have good suggestions on HID lights that are smallish...about the size of the regular accessory lights on a GSA?

Oh, sorry, almost forgot...the knobies I'm looking at are the Metzler Karoo (not to be confused with the Metzler Karoo T). They seem a little more agressive then the TKC-80's for the dirt, however, I don't have any experience with them. Thought I'd throw it out there. Here's a link for Metzler's web site for 'em. I'm running Metzler Tourance right now on my GSA and DAMN, do they stick to the road! A little squirly off road, but on pavement, juuuuuuuust fine!

https://www.metzelermoto.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/off_road/enduro_on_off&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=882742&uri=/metzeler/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/OffRoad_Karoo.xml&menu_item=/products/catalog/off_road

On that note, however, anyone have good suggestions on HID lights that are smallish...about the size of the regular accessory lights on a GSA?
These two come readily to mind. Might be a little bigger than the BMW aux lights, but still pretty compact for a HID. No experience with either brand...

Trail Tech

PIAA Cross Country

--G

No One, not sure if you've dealt with the guys at Alt Rider, but in my experience, their product is ABSOLUTELY first rate and their customer service was pretty damned outstanding. I picked up a skid plate nad a couple other things for my '07 GSA and they are all freakin' awesome! Everything fit...uh...like it was made for the bike...I wouldn't hesitate for a moment ordering from them again.

As far as the big lights on that GSA up there...they just look like something else to tear off WHEN you (read: I) drop the bike...again. On that note, however, anyone have good suggestions on HID lights that are smallish...about the size of the regular accessory lights on a GSA?

Oh, sorry, almost forgot...the knobies I'm looking at are the Metzler Karoo (not to be confused with the Metzler Karoo T). They seem a little more agressive then the TKC-80's for the dirt, however, I don't have any experience with them. Thought I'd throw it out there. Here's a link for Metzler's web site for 'em. I'm running Metzler Tourance right now on my GSA and DAMN, do they stick to the road! A little squirly off road, but on pavement, juuuuuuuust fine!

https://www.metzelermoto.com/web/catalog/moto/moto_catalogo_schedaDescription.page?categoria=/catalog/moto/off_road/enduro_on_off&vehicleType=MOTO&product_id=882742&uri=/metzeler/en_IT/browser/xml/catalog/moto/OffRoad_Karoo.xml&menu_item=/products/catalog/off_road

Patch,

I would love to run the Karoo's & I like Metzlers.... Ie read so many reports they have a very shortl life.. They have some awesome tread and im sure on dirts its probably one of the best. I'm in Texas and there are some serious slab to get to some good riding areas.. Ive read most guys are getting about 1500-2000 Miles on a set of Karoo's... Heck, I can do that in a few days... LOL But I might have to try them one day.... If ya get a set shoot us a report. :D

HID.. There are many sets out there. We sell allot of different sets. If you like you can contact me and if you decide to get a set Ill give you the "FJR forum" hook up.... I'm running the Baja Designs HID on my FJR. They are like flame throwers. I'm thinking of another set on the ST, not sure if they are just too big.. Ive got several ideas to mount them out of the way, so Ill just wait and see... When the bike wrecks out in the desert of Mexico I dont want to bust them off. Ill figure it out when I get the bike.. Got some a hole list of parts im building... :yahoo:

You may want to hit Procycle for HID and/or LED lights. I am going to be putting a set of the VisionX Solstice 10 Watt LED Lights on my DR 650. They look good, put out a decent amount of light and the price is right.

anyone else get a letter from yamaha showing some different option packages?

I still think im gonna wait till i get the bike and see what the hot ticket from the aftermarket ends up being.

anyone else get a letter from yamaha showing some different option packages?

I still think im gonna wait till i get the bike and see what the hot ticket from the aftermarket ends up being.

I didnt get a letter but the packeges are on there web site.

ST Parts package

But no letter ? Ive read that there going to have some special finacing to go with the ST ? Any word ?

I'm with you Canyonman, im going to get mine stripped and build alot of my own parts and buy several others. Going to pick those much closer to May....

I did get me a bike pump today for the new bike. Was going to buy a 'Cycle pump'... but after reading the tongue lashing off the ADV site they all said go to wally world and get the $10-15... I stripped it down and its super small and works great.. I tried it today !! ! If it craps out, ill go get another one... :lol:

I did get me a bike pump today for the new bike. Was going to buy a 'Cycle pump'... but after reading the tongue lashing off the ADV site they all said go to wally world and get the $10-15... I stripped it down and its super small and works great.. I tried it today !! ! If it craps out, ill go get another one... :lol:
I got both a wally world special and a very small manual pump incase the electric one bites it WHEN i need it.

I have not heard anything about the financing I did talk to my credit union they said four point something percent on a new bike.

I got both a wally world special and a very small manual pump incase the electric one bites it WHEN i need it.

I have not heard anything about the financing I did talk to my credit union they said four point something percent on a new bike.
Right now 3.9% 36 mos.

Right now 3.9% 36 mos.
Hmmm, I wonder if that is good on the SuperT as well? The Yamaha site shows "special" financing of "5.99% APR for up to 72 months" for the SuperT, but it expires BEFORE delivery is scheduled. The rate you mention has a $5K limit and looks to be good through 6/30/11.

Right now 3.9% 36 mos.
Hmmm, I wonder if that is good on the SuperT as well? The Yamaha site shows "special" financing of "5.99% APR for up to 72 months" for the SuperT, but it expires BEFORE delivery is scheduled. The rate you mention has a $5K limit and looks to be good through 6/30/11.
Hmmm, that's the rate that Coyote Motorsports quoted me. I have one on order with them, but I never got an order number which I plan on pursueing today. Sales Manager told me I could possibly get my Raven sometime in March, as they ordered 5 units and expect them in March. This store has sold 6 S10s last time I checked. Even if I get one expedited from the store, I still want that factory order number.

BTW, I'm betwixed and between what farkles to order, especially the luggage. Yamaha has a pretty good package deal on their panniers and throws in a free digital on board camera. I can get 20% off from the store on accessories, so that makes the panniers competetive with internet vendors. I'm also interested in Givi (much like Yamaha and maybe made in same factory), Pelican/SW Motec and Caribeau.

Hmmm, that's the rate that Coyote Motorsports quoted me. I have one on order with them, but I never got an order number which I plan on pursueing today. Sales Manager told me I could possibly get my Raven sometime in March, as they ordered 5 units and expect them in March. This store has sold 6 S10s last time I checked. Even if I get one expedited from the store, I still want that factory order number.

BTW, I'm betwixed and between what farkles to order, especially the luggage. Yamaha has a pretty good package deal on their panniers and throws in a free digital on board camera. I can get 20% off from the store on accessories, so that makes the panniers competetive with internet vendors. I'm also interested in Givi (much like Yamaha and maybe made in same factory), Pelican/SW Motec and Caribeau.
It's possible the rate is available then. I will also check with my dealer (Fort Collins Motorsports) to see what they say.

I think your Sales Manager is blowing smoke since Yamaha is stating "delivery starting in May".

I've read too many negatives on the Yamaha luggage and plan to go with the Givi Trekkers. Right at $1300 for side racks, tail rack, two 46L and one 33L.

Rod

Don't know if this has been posted before, but I came across this in my searches. Of course Yamaha might plug this gap for the USA as our version is still in the making.

An easy way to switch off that ABS, looks like someone found a workaround.

It's possible the rate is available then. I will also check with my dealer (Fort Collins Motorsports) to see what they say.

I think your Sales Manager is blowing smoke since Yamaha is stating "delivery starting in May".

I've read too many negatives on the Yamaha luggage and plan to go with the Givi Trekkers. Right at $1300 for side racks, tail rack, two 46L and one 33L.

Rod

The rates are moot to me, as I will most likely just give them cash when the bike comes in, whenever that may be.. But that's what the dealer told me FWIW. When I bought my FJR in 2002 Yamaha had 1.9% for the first 12 months. Cost me 150 bucks/month

for a 12 month test ride. I figured if I didn't like the bike I could sell it since I did a smokin' deal and would lose very little coin, if any. Well, I loved the FJR and rode it for 5 years, but sold it to make room in the man-cave for a DL1000. I put the VEE in Craig's List on New Years Day and technically sold it in 45 minutes. I was shocked and amazed! Fella showed up on Monday the 3rd with a trailer and hauled it away. The VEE will be exploring Mexico in about two weeks with a new rider on it :yahoo:

I've read some negative comments about the Yamaha boxes also. I'm not sure I would want a top loading box anyways and the Give Trekkers might be the way to go. Either that or the Pelican cases.

As far as the dealer blowing smoke about delivery times, again I don't really care that much since the month of March ain't exactly prime time for riding. But some dealers did the same thing back in '02 IIRC. They would order some on their own using family names, etc. and I believe some folks got their bikes 'early', although Yamaha did not state an exact date that they would be shipping at that time. I'm aware that the official commencement of shipping the S10 is May something or other.

I'm still waiting for my order number or the 'letter' from Cypress 'congratulating' me on my wise purchase. If I don't get the bike in March (I fully expect not to), that's ok and if the dealer dropped the ball and I don't get the bike at all this year,

that's ok too. I rode the bike and it's real nice, but I can live w/o it and save twelve thousand bucks :)

The rates are moot to me, as I will most likely just give them cash when the bike comes in, whenever that may be.. But that's what the dealer told me FWIW. When I bought my FJR in 2002 Yamaha had 1.9% for the first 12 months. Cost me 150 bucks/month

for a 12 month test ride. I figured if I didn't like the bike I could sell it since I did a smokin' deal and would lose very little coin, if any. Well, I loved the FJR and rode it for 5 years, but sold it to make room in the man-cave for a DL1000. I put the VEE in Craig's List on New Years Day and technically sold it in 45 minutes. I was shocked and amazed! Fella showed up on Monday the 3rd with a trailer and hauled it away. The VEE will be exploring Mexico in about two weeks with a new rider on it :yahoo:

I've read some negative comments about the Yamaha boxes also. I'm not sure I would want a top loading box anyways and the Give Trekkers might be the way to go. Either that or the Pelican cases.

As far as the dealer blowing smoke about delivery times, again I don't really care that much since the month of March ain't exactly prime time for riding. But some dealers did the same thing back in '02 IIRC. They would order some on their own using family names, etc. and I believe some folks got their bikes 'early', although Yamaha did not state an exact date that they would be shipping at that time. I'm aware that the official commencement of shipping the S10 is May something or other.

I'm still waiting for my order number or the 'letter' from Cypress 'congratulating' me on my wise purchase. If I don't get the bike in March (I fully expect not to), that's ok and if the dealer dropped the ball and I don't get the bike at all this year,

that's ok too. I rode the bike and it's real nice, but I can live w/o it and save twelve thousand bucks :)
Yeah, time will tell, for sure. I hope to get out to my dealer by this weekend and inquire about financing options. I prefer to not finance toys, but may have to carry a bit of this one for a while. I guess that's one drawback to being on SS!!! (-:

I've been getting the check for five years now, but I drive a school bus for fun and profit. Not a bad job. Pays pretty good and I get summers off...

I've been getting the check for five years now, but I drive a school bus for fun and profit. Not a bad job. Pays pretty good and I get summers off...
Only about 4 1/2 for me, but my wife still works part-time, so that helps a bit (if she would only share)...... :rolleyes: