Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to Jeremy at ALTRider, there shop is less than 2 miles from my houes he invited me to vist the shop and check out the bike, it will be at the IMS in Seattle, maybe they will let me take it around the block or 2 or 3 or 4...
...and don't forget your friends when you plan this little adventure. I've heard through the grapevine someone might be interested. ;)

--G

Inspected the Tenere at the Toronto Bike show today, listened to the engineer explaining the technology on the stripped down machine they had on display (no fairings/tank/seat, etc.). Very interesting. The fully assembled bike was beside it, and it felt good. My only complaint, I didn't like the handguards, too low on top would let stuff hit the back of your hands, should have been another half inch higher.

I can see one of these in my future.......... the GS boys are going to be jealous!

Since our FJR Forumites of the Specific North Wet did not get a decent picture of the new Yamaha Super Tenere, here is a great photo of our new dual sport. Those Seattle FJR Mooks are a pack of water sogged drunks and degenerates!

Credit for this fine photo goes to a Gentleman named Chadx from Helena, Montana over at https://www.yamahasupertenere.com I love how Alt Rider put it up on the stand fresh from field testing their new off road products for this M/C. Bravo!!!

altriderst.jpg

FOOTNOTE: I stand corrected! Marcus was at least sober enough to get a shot of the right hand side of Alt Rider's Tenere. There is some hope for you at least, ahchiu!!!

IMG_1315.JPG

https://www.altrider.com/ Here are some of the products Alt Rider is developing. I'm still going with the Al Jesse Luggage hard bags! He'll be using my bike as the "mule".

1124936153_PBqNY-L.jpg

And here is a very nice photo taken by Mister Tom Edison at Skagit Power Sports with the factory Yamaha saddlebags, you look marvelous on the Super Tenere, Tom!

Absolutely Marvelous!

Last edited by a moderator:
Since our FJR Forumites of the Specific North Wet did not get a decent picture of the new Yamaha Super Tenere, here is a great photo of our new dual sport. Those Seattle FJR Mooks are a pack of water sogged drunks and degenerates!

Credit for this fine photo goes to a Gentleman named Chadx from Helena, Montana over at https://www.yamahasupertenere.com I love how Alt Rider put it up on the stand fresh from field testing their new off road products for this M/C. Bravo!!!

altriderst.jpg

FOOTNOTE: I stand corrected! Marcus was at least sober enough to get a shot of the right hand side of Alt Rider's Tenere. There is some hope for you at least, ahchiu!!!

IMG_1315.JPG

https://www.altrider.com/ Here are some of the products Alt Rider is developing. I'm still going with the Al Jesse Luggage hard bags! He'll be using my bike as the "mule".

1124936153_PBqNY-L.jpg

And here is a very nice photo taken by Mister Tom Edison at Skagit Power Sports with the factory Yamaha saddlebags, you look marvelous on the Super Tenere, Tom!

Absolutely Marvelous!

Looks great ! ALt is not the only US game in town..... LOL More to come...... :yahoo:

altriderst.jpg

IMG_1315.JPG

1124936153_PBqNY-L.jpg

Absolutely Marvelous!

Looks great ! ALt is not the only US game in town..... LOL More to come...... :yahoo:

Tonight one of the local dealers had a small invite only Super Tenere unveil. They had some beer and wine with some good food and of course the Super. There was no big news no new info that hasn't been well covered. Except for one small but very important fact, I can touch the ground on this thing :eek: Now granted the seat was in the low position and the suspension was set to squishy but I could tip toe on both side the same time which is much the same as the FJR for me. Not a big deal for you maybe but with my 30 inch inseam I was fully expecting to have my feet dangling in the breeze on the Tenere. At one time in the evening there were two friends on either side of me with a full 5 BMW final drive failures between them. Needless to say they were very interested in the new offering from Momma-Yama. All the pics are Here

_MG_6203.JPG

The weather is unusually crappy here in SoCal at the IMS show, but I did get to sit on the bike in the Yamaha booth:

163751_1613218623171_1617474613_1377134_7447717_n.jpg

(Pic taken with the bike on the center stand)

I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and I felt very comfortable on the bike; I was on the balls of both of my feet, and by sliding slightly off to one side or the other, I was able to lean the bike well over before I began to notice its weight. The seat was also very good, much more give to it than the FJR seat (will be interesting to see how supportive it will be after a few hours). I'm hoping to get in on a demo ride first thing in the morning tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. I was also able to put one of the floor models up on its center stand, and it was much easier than the FJR, with the Yamaha panniers mounted.

I've been following the blogs on the S10 since I first learned about it and once Yamaha made the big pdp announcement I got 'serious' about it. Kinda like when the FJR pdp was announced, I pounced on that one too in 2002. I saw that D&H was taking orders way below msrp and I thought that I would try using internet prices locally. It has always worked for me in the past, so nothing to lose, I called a local dealer in Denver to haggle over prices. Of course they get a bit wigged out when I use that tactic, but like I said, it usually works. He wouldn't bite, claiming that the Alabama price wouldn't give him any profit, in fact he would lose money. But he did say that they were getting one of ten in the U.S. on Friday morning for Friday/Saturday. I came down there noonish Friday and looked it over and offered him $12k which of course he turned down. So I offered him $12.5k which he demurred, so I dropped the subject. He asked me if I wanted to ride it. Sure! He said your not going to crash it, are you. Told him crashing hurts, I know all about that and try my best to avoid pain. I took it for a short ride through the hood. This place Coyote Yamaha is in north Denver and I had no desire to take the bike onto the interstate and dual with the crazies, so didn't really take it up to speed. But my impression was lots of power, very well balanced, especially when standing on the pegs, nice throaty sound, like a DL1000 and great brakes. They would seem to be just fine w/o resorting to s/s lines, etc. I was only gone for about 10 minutes (more than any bike I've ever purchased - my test ride consists of the ride home) :rolleyes: When I returned the bike he said he would go for the $12.5k + tax (of course)so I had him write it on a card so I could take it to my manager (wife). I noticed when I got home he had also put +fees. I called him and asked what that was about and he said three or four hundred bucks - can't remember which, but a hundred buck is chump change. So I have the option of D&H for 12K or Coyote here for 12.8k. I'm thinking I will go with the later.

Why go buy a Super Ten that I probably need like a hole in the head? Because it is an intriguing bike, just as the FJR was and caught my eye.

The weather is unusually crappy here in SoCal at the IMS show, but I did get to sit on the bike in the Yamaha booth:

I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and I felt very comfortable on the bike; I was on the balls of both of my feet, and by sliding slightly off to one side or the other, I was able to lean the bike well over before I began to notice its weight. The seat was also very good, much more give to it than the FJR seat (will be interesting to see how supportive it will be after a few hours). I'm hoping to get in on a demo ride first thing in the morning tomorrow, if the weather cooperates. I was also able to put one of the floor models up on its center stand, and it was much easier than the FJR, with the Yamaha panniers mounted.
Are ya back? Do ya have your report for us yet ? LOL :) I gave mine a few weeks ago a few pages back on this post but give everyone your opinion... :) :clapping:

Hey guys.... Got a question for everyone... I have 'several' bikes and most are all black. I was looking to go a different color when I bought the FJR, not realizing (at the time) that each year had a specific color. I wanted to change colors from black cuz all the rest of mine are black... Being it an 08 I was stuck with black again... That's all fine and I love the FJR...

But NOW, we are going off road and I dont want another black bike.. I thought, for once this is going to be easy, I'm getting the blue one. Until I found out that the 'blue' on the first addition is not the same exact 'blue' that we will be getting for our 2012's... So I was bummed and then saw the onslaught of all the blue ones, of the Euro riders and the count on US riders with the blue units. I aint going to be no twinkie :angry: ..................... :lol:

So the second day of ordering comes around and im excited, I run over to Yamaha and throw down my money :yahoo: On a Black one............. LOL Your prolly thinking WTF ? Another black one? OK, here is my thought, I ordered the black because im going to have it painted the day after I bring it home. I have a pro painter friend that owes me a favor, and there's not that much to paint.. Going to go with Ducati Red... The S10 will still have factory badging and stickers but red not black or blue..

Along with the red paint, already working on several special parts for it... Should be fun to build and a blast to ride.. Ill add pictures of all the parts and color as I go.. :yahoo:

Question: what are your thoughts on a red S10 ? Let the flaming begin ! :p

You can read my SIG below, I dont leave much alone on a new bike... :D

Red?

Better than the gay blue... :rolleyes:

I will be going with the Raven which has a few red highlights, so maybe red wheel striping and other bits in red.

How do I know blue is gay? IIRC a few years back Warchild tol' me so and we know he is right about everything...

...and why not just get a red KLR?
LOL.... I only want the new super duper mega bad ass Yamaha monster that im dreaming about ! ! ! :yahoo:

I dont want no Kawacrapie ADV bike..... :blink: :lol: :p
Unless she's strictly going to be a street bike/garage queen :eek: I wouldn't waste hard earn money and or time painting it. If you must at least wait until you get a few scratches on her first.

...and why not just get a red KLR?
LOL.... I only want the new super duper mega bad ass Yamaha monster that im dreaming about ! ! ! :yahoo:

I dont want no Kawacrapie ADV bike..... :blink: :lol: :p
Unless she's strictly going to be a street bike/garage queen :eek: I wouldn't waste hard earn money and or time painting it. If you must at least wait until you get a few scratches on her first.
+1, Gunny! Chris customized his dual sport with Copper Canyon get off dirt riding highlights and the side of a Ford F-150 pickup down in Chihuahua Estado, Mexico.

I wanted my bike in black to match my women!

As for painting any bike, it is just up to the owner and what floats yer boat. I like the black bike since it washes up good and looks sooooo good when clean. I personally would spend the bucks you spend on painting for more farkles, tires or trip cash, but to each his own & more power to ya--specially if makes you enjoy it more. Someone might accuse you of being on a Ducati though :rolleyes: .

doctorj

Are ya back? Do ya have your report for us yet ? LOL :) I gave mine a few weeks ago a few pages back on this post but give everyone your opinion... :) :clapping:
Weather was still crappy on Sunday, and we had two stops on the way home to Phoenix, so I didn't try for the test ride. I'll just have to wait until May or so when I ride home from Texas on it!

Heck no,,, Gunna ride the crap out of it!! This bike is seeing no wax.... Free paint job.... so no extra ;)

Friend owes a favor... free paint...... :assassin: