Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been getting the check for five years now, but I drive a school bus for fun and profit. Not a bad job. Pays pretty good and I get summers off...
Only about 4 1/2 for me, but my wife still works part-time, so that helps a bit (if she would only share)...... :rolleyes:
Matter of fact, I'm sitting in a big yellow schoolbus, here at Ft Collins HS on Horsetooth. Stop by and coffee's on me :)

I finally got to put my hands on a blue Tenere today. I like this bike my 5'8" wife could even flat foot it. Sounds good too, it would sound pissed off as hell with a nice unrestricted aftermarket can. The seat really is comfortable way way better than the stock FJR seat. The Blue metallic is absolutely gorgeous in person. can't friggin wait!!!!!

I've been getting the check for five years now, but I drive a school bus for fun and profit. Not a bad job. Pays pretty good and I get summers off...
Only about 4 1/2 for me, but my wife still works part-time, so that helps a bit (if she would only share)...... :rolleyes:
Matter of fact, I'm sitting in a big yellow schoolbus, here at Ft Collins HS on Horsetooth. Stop by and coffee's on me :)
Were you today? I was through Fort Collins today (had a club meeting at Spradley Ford) and then drove on out to Fort Collins Motorsports to "chat" about the financing options on the SuperT. I was mistaken on the 3.99% offer. I thought it was 36 months with a $5K maximum. It is a $5K MINIMUM. There is still some question if it is available to 2012 models, so they are going to check with Yamaha on Tuesday and let me know.

Were you today? I was through Fort Collins today (had a club meeting at Spradley Ford) and then drove on out to Fort Collins Motorsports to "chat" about the financing options on the SuperT. I was mistaken on the 3.99% offer. I thought it was 36 months with a $5K maximum. It is a $5K MINIMUM. There is still some question if it is available to 2012 models, so they are going to check with Yamaha on Tuesday and let me know.
i'm still sitting by FC High school onHorsetooth. Hope tobe done here around seven. Hope ur loan is what you want.

Yesterday when I was checking out the s10 I noticed there was a red flashing LED with a key symbol next to it on the instrument cluster, it reminded me of the flashing security light on a lot of cars.

Anybody know what this light is? the dealer didn't know. The bike I saw was a European edition so it may not even be on the US bikes. Also had a flash to pass switch that im sure the US bike will not have.

Yesterday when I was checking out the s10 I noticed there was a red flashing LED with a key symbol next to it on the instrument cluster, it reminded me of the flashing security light on a lot of cars.

Anybody know what this light is? the dealer didn't know. The bike I saw was a European edition so it may not even be on the US bikes. Also had a flash to pass switch that im sure the US bike will not have.
I noticed the same light on the STen from our local *unveiling* last Wednesday. Since it was a UK spec bike, I'll bet the LED is the security system and yes, we won't get it or flash to pass on US spec bikes.

--G

Colorider...... Will ya PM me some contact info.. I have motorcycle friends in Boulder and will be up there several times this summer with the new bike. Looking for 'like minded' people with the new ST if ya might have time to go for a ride. :clapping: Would like to swing down and meet bmerdon if he is around down south aswell.....

112 days on left on the count down, 112 days left, tomorrow knock one off, 111 days to go................. * or about *

(like beer on the wall) :yahoo:

and then drove on out to Fort Collins Motorsports to "chat" about the financing options on the SuperT. I was mistaken on the 3.99% offer. I thought it was 36 months with a $5K maximum. It is a $5K MINIMUM. There is still some question if it is available to 2012 models, so they are going to check with Yamaha on Tuesday and let me know.
Got a call from my dealer yesterday and he had talked to Yamaha on the 3.99 offer. It is NOT available for 2012 models, so it looks like at this time, the only offer will be the 5.99 offer that expires in March. The whole offer is screwy IMO as you have to apply by the end of March and once you apply and are approved, you only have 30 days to actually use the loan. This means you could possibly be making your first payment on the loan BEFORE you take delivery of the bike.

and then drove on out to Fort Collins Motorsports to "chat" about the financing options on the SuperT. I was mistaken on the 3.99% offer. I thought it was 36 months with a $5K maximum. It is a $5K MINIMUM. There is still some question if it is available to 2012 models, so they are going to check with Yamaha on Tuesday and let me know.
Got a call from my dealer yesterday and he had talked to Yamaha on the 3.99 offer. It is NOT available for 2012 models, so it looks like at this time, the only offer will be the 5.99 offer that expires in March. The whole offer is screwy IMO as you have to apply by the end of March and once you apply and are approved, you only have 30 days to actually use the loan. This means you could possibly be making your first payment on the loan BEFORE you take delivery of the bike.
I read the biz section of the Sunday Denver Post this past weekend (I was desparate for something-anything to read) in the weekly stock/commodity/interest page, IIRC, one back was offering something around 4.2%. I'd check it, but today was recycling day here, so the Post took its rightful place - in the trash...

...Looking for 'like minded' people with the new ST if ya might have time to go for a ride. :clapping:
May I offer (may need a new/different thread -- if f anything developes?):

"The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route" from Adventure Cycling Association -- 6 very well prepared maps encompassing a, mostly off-highway, dirt-road route from the Canadian border to the Mexican border staying close to the Continental Divide.

Specifically, one little ride that might be fun and test your abilities and reinforce (or not...) your decisions to ride off-highway: the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway.

The JDR Parkway is a mostly gravel/dirt forest road (Targhee NF #261) that runs from the Ashton ID area to the Grand Teton N.P. area. I found it especially attractive in that the route runs between Wilderness Areas and National Parks -- places where off-highway/off-road riding doesn't exist.

The 'Divide Ride' has been accomplished (approx. 2,800 miles) by many dual-sport motorcycles and riders -- but, of course, not yet by a Supere Tenere 1200. Some of it may not be advisable for such a big bike (he says throwing the gauntlet)...? -- but, many parts would be ideal.

The little ride mentioned -- the JDR Parkway would be a good sample (I think).

Last edited by a moderator:
...Looking for 'like minded' people with the new ST if ya might have time to go for a ride. :clapping:
May I offer (may need a new/different thread -- if f anything developes?):

"The Great Divide Mountain Bike Route" from Adventure Cycling Association -- 6 very well prepared maps encompassing a, mostly off-highway, dirt-road route from the Canadian border to the Mexican border staying close to the Continental Divide.

Specifically, one little ride that might be fun and test your abilities and reinforce (or not...) your decisions to ride off-highway: the John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway.

The JDR Parkway is a mostly gravel/dirt forest road (Targhee NF #261) that runs from the Ashton ID area to the Grand Teton N.P. area. I found it especially attractive in that the route runs between Wilderness Areas and National Parks -- places where off-highway/off-road riding doesn't exist.

The 'Divide Ride' has been accomplished (approx. 2,800 miles) by many dual-sport motorcycles and riders -- but, of course, not yet by a Supere Tenere 1200. Some of it may not be advisable for such a big bike (he says throwing the gauntlet)...? -- but, many parts would be ideal.

The little ride mentioned -- the JDR Parkway would be a good sample (I think).

Sounds great !!! Ill PM with you some info.. :)

Have you guys seen this.... Ive read this was at an IMS show... Super Tenere VS BMW GS

I know its a 'sales pitch'... but I still like the Yamaha better.... :p

ST-GSA.jpg

Few new ones if you have not seen them yet.....

With an Akrapovic carbon exhaust shield.

super-tenere-white8.jpg

super-tenere-white7.jpg

super-tenere-white6.jpg

super-tenere-white5.jpg

super-tenere-white9.jpg

super-tenere-white12.jpg

super-tenere-white16.jpg

super-tenere-white13.jpg

super-tenere-white1.jpg

super-tenere-white2.jpg

super-tenere-white4.jpg

super-tenere-white3.jpg

super-tenere-white10.jpg

:yahoo:

I hadn't seen the white and like it but the black one is still calling my wallet with it's siren song: :wub: :man_in_love: :wub:

2012-yamaha-super-tenere%201.jpg

Got to sit on the two blue ones they had at the DC show and the ergos hit me as almost verbatim R1200GS, which I take as a good thing. It really looks like it needs a couple of big aux headlights. Hmmmm, gotta a set of PIAAs in the garage still... This sure would be THE bike for next year's Alaska run with my son...

Darn - why does my nice FJR keep running too well? :greedy:

I like the white but better with the side panel in white too me thinks. I like that decal too and plan to do my own with the black bike but with white where the black lines are and white where the black lines are so it will look right on the black bike. Is it May yet????

doctorj

Jeremy L over at AltRider in Seattle has the ABS disabling switch unit up and running; price will be announced very soon. Soon as I can buy it, it gets shipped to D & H for installation on my Super Tenere! Yamaha Corporation had to have been sniffing glue or gasoline, not to make the ABS disabling swith standard issue for off road use!

We believe the ABS system is dramatically improved over what was previously available to consumers. That said, there’s no question you need to be able to disable ABS. For those who ride off road, disabling your ABS is a serious part of the enjoyment, as well as – I believe – a safety concern in downhill situations.

We evaluated the ABS system, and found a clean plug-and-play solution that provides an on-dash switch to disable it.

abs%20switch%20prototype%20installed%20%2812%29.jpg

abs%20switch%20prototype%20installed%20%2813%29.jpg

abs%20switch%20prototype%20installed%20%2816%29.jpg

It was important to us that you would not need to hack the wiring loom, so we’ve identified OEM-like terminals so this is a true plug-and-play application. We also wanted high-end, truly waterproof switches while keeping them small. What is left to figure out is location and other options to incorporate.

We’ve played around with several different dashboards to mount the toggle switch – tell us what you guys would prefer.

- Switch to the left of dash

- Switch below the dash (preferred location, because it gets the wiring out of the elements and overall cleaner appeal from the back)

Other options we’re thinking of while designing/prototyping, before this goes into production:

- Additional auxiliary cigarette lighter

- Optional mount location for heated grips controller

- Who is going with the OEM heated grips?

- Who is considering aftermarket options? (If we get enough interest, we’ll try to make the aftermarket heated grips plug-and-play, as well)

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: