Yamaha top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
For those of you who own the gold plated Yamaha top box, if you had it to do over would you still get it, or would you go with a Givi box instead? Are you happy with the Yamaha box?

I had a top box for my 2003 and loved having a top box- great for holding a brief case or computer bag. Also very convenient for holding stuff as the side bags are a bit more cumbersome.

But, if I had to do it over again- I think I would go with the Givi for 2 reasons:

1) It would be convenient to have a top bag that actually does hold two helmets- when I havde the top bag on I often don't ride with the side bags on. It would be nice to be able to put both helmets in the bag during stops ect.

2) I had the bag with the padded part for a back rest for the passenger. This made the bag sit too far forward and it pushed my wife more forward than she liked (mostly because her gear also has backpads in it). We took the pad on the top bag off- and was better- but I thin the Givi bag sits a bit farther back and that would be optimal.

Granted, the FJR with the top bag without the passenger looks a little nerdy and catches the side winds- but the utility of this bag always seemed to outweigh its odd look for me B)

Ya know, I've been toying with the top box question myself. Mostly, I was thinking about it to help convince the SO that the FJR ain't the blue monster she thinks it is - the back rest would go a long way and with the cost of gas these days, it looks like I'll be on two wheels a lot more, so...

But I've decided that Garauld's 'clip on' rack with removable back rest is more the thing I need. TBags now makes a rectangular soft pack that looks just the ticket for me and the rack fits my brief case and samples just right when needed. I have the security of my side cases and with a Glock on the way from Der Colonel, I should be all set. :D

My check is in the mail tomorrow for G's artwork. ;)

I still really like having one key for everything but I think the Givi is a better box so I don't know.

I think I prefer the set up I have for solo riding:

IMG_2064.jpg

:D :D :D

I do not like the looks of the top box! :angry: But, my wife was pressuring me to get another Gold Wing when I traded bikes and the only way I could get her to say she would start riding with me again was to add the top box. I had planned to make a bracket for the Corbin back rest I had bought for the Busa but never used (it was going to take more than a back rest for her to ride with me on the that bike). She saw a top box on an ST1300 at a bike rally we went to last weekend and "the boss" said add one. So, I ordered the Yamaha box, bracket, and pad today. I hope it is easy to remove because I plan to take it off when I ride solo.

too_many_hobbies

I do not like the looks of the top box! :angry: But, my wife was pressuring me to get another Gold Wing when I traded bikes and the only way I could get her to say she would start riding with me again was to add the top box. I had planned to make a bracket for the Corbin back rest I had bought for the Busa but never used (it was going to take more than a back rest for her to ride with me on the that bike). She saw a top box on an ST1300 at a bike rally we went to last weekend and "the boss" said add one. So, I ordered the Yamaha box, bracket, and pad today. I hope it is easy to remove because I plan to take it off when I ride solo.
too_many_hobbies

The factory box comes off just like the side bags.

The top box is extremely easy to put on and remove. The only issue- at least for the 03 I had- was that you had to drill a hole in the exact spot to find the female insert for the securing bolt.

i hope that the rack for the 2006 bolts onto several of the preexisting 3 bolts- but it was my understanding that the racks were not yet available for the 2006s.

Well, I have the top box on my 06 and really really like it. I like the way it looks, and my passenger likes the position of the backrest.

Photos here:

https://community.webshots.com/user/CireL

I am however waiting for Yamaha to pony up with the right mounting hardware, but in the meantime the box is simply handy as hell. My passengers helmet can fit in a sidecase if needed, do I'm not that depressed about it only holding one helmet. (yes it does come off/go on easier than the sidecases)

I did look at the Givi, but I like the fact it matches the paint and uses the same key. I guess you could spend more money to have the Givi painted to match and have a locksmith install a lock that works with the bike key...maybe. But then you would end up spending about the same money to do this.

So, I f I were to "do it again" I'd still pick the Yamaha case.

KM

Well, I have the top box on my 06 and really really like it. I like the way it looks, and my passenger likes the position of the backrest.Photos here:

I am however waiting for Yamaha to pony up with the right mounting hardware, but in the meantime the box is simply handy as hell. My passengers helmet can fit in a sidecase if needed, do I'm not that depressed about it only holding one helmet. (yes it does come off/go on easier than the sidecases)

I did look at the Givi, but I like the fact it matches the paint and uses the same key. I guess you could spend more money to have the Givi painted to match and have a locksmith install a lock that works with the bike key...maybe. But then you would end up spending about the same money to do this.

KM
Knifemaker,

i didnt see any pics of the bike with the mounting bracket on and the top box off. Do you not have a mounting bracket? i'm interested in seeing how that changes the look. also, where did you get the box and approximately how much does it cost?

thanx

GreyGoose

Well I can tell you from experience, :blink: before top box!

Copy2of49632626.jpg

After top box, :D givi 52 holds two full face no problem, usally by self so complete set of riding gear in it once I arrive where I am headed.

Pic1121.jpg

My used 05 came with the Yami top box. I use the top box about 10 times more than the side bags. Yes it looks nerdy without a passenger, but it is very functional.

Turbulence it causes above 80 mph however, is another story. Yami even includes a warning label inside the box, not to exceed 80 mph with it in place.

I keep the spare helmet in right side bag. Swap positions with my laptop/briefcase and my helmet as I load/unload each trip. A Gold Wing box it ain't.

Can't comment about the Givi.

Well, I have the top box on my 06 and really really like it. I like the way it looks, and my passenger likes the position of the backrest.

Photos here:

KM
Knifemaker,

i didnt see any pics of the bike with the mounting bracket on and the top box off. Do you not have a mounting bracket? i'm interested in seeing how that changes the look. also, where did you get the box and approximately how much does it cost?

thanx

GreyGoose
I am happy with the Yamaha top box. Were I to do it again, I'd get the Yamaha...however, if I got teh Givi, I would get the 52 to get some significant benefit in storage.

.....i didnt see any pics of the bike with the mounting bracket on and the top box off. Do you not have a mounting bracket? i'm interested in seeing how that changes the look. also, where did you get the box and approximately how much does it cost?........

Sorry, did not take a photo with the case off the mount. I ordered the box when I ordered my bike. After some confusion, the price was $589.00 for the case (I think) . The problem was they only had the mounting hardware and base for the 2005 available. I altered it to fit the 06. When the proper base is available they will give it to me as an exchange, even knowing I distroyed some of the parts to fit it to my bike.

If I get a chance I will post a pic of the base alone with the box off, but as I said , it's not the 06 base and hardware.

Likely the "look" will be more or less the same.

KM

.....i didnt see any pics of the bike with the mounting bracket on and the top box off. Do you not have a mounting bracket? i'm interested in seeing how that changes the look. also, where did you get the box and approximately how much does it cost?........

Sorry, did not take a photo with the case off the mount. I ordered the box when I ordered my bike. After some confusion, the price was $589.00 for the case (I think) . The problem was they only had the mounting hardware and base for the 2005 available. I altered it to fit the 06. When the proper base is available they will give it to me as an exchange, even knowing I distroyed some of the parts to fit it to my bike.

If I get a chance I will post a pic of the base alone with the box off, but as I said , it's not the 06 base and hardware.

Likely the "look" will be more or less the same.

KM
I am not sure if you were writing me, but I don't have a picture yet as I don't have the case or bike. HEPCO BECKER emailed me a picture of their rack system + case and I thought it looked a lot sturdier than just putting a large Givi E52 case on the standard Yamaha rack + Givi mounting plate.

Since I don't have it though, my opinion is worthless until I get it :D !

Best Regards,

Shane

I have the Yamaha Top Case on My 05, I got it as part of the deal when I bought the bike. As earlier comments have said, the case sits a bit too close and pushes your passenger forward. I mounted a brackett for my bike to bike antenea under the front mounting bracket of the Top Case mounting plate. It leaned the Case back about an 1 1/2" Wife is much happier now.

FJR without bags.

3033a6f3ca.jpg

FJR with bags,

685e54323e.jpg

Antenea Bracket/ Spacer,

c6044b0bc7.jpg

Rear View of Bracket,

41b31a41cf.jpg

A Friend of mine has a Givi on his Connie, doesn't seem to be as solid of a case as the Yamaha Box, and not quite as slick of a mounting system as the Yamaha. I would go for the Yamaha Box again.

The Givi has a couple of problems: the Yamama key can't be used with it and when equipped with a backrest pad it too pushes the passenger too far forward. I carry a second key and got an adapter plate to move the box back 3 inches. I'm happy with it.