Yamaha Top Case vs. Givi Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhacer

Reaction score
I don't have an FJR...yet.

My V-Strom has a couple of E42s (I think) on each side. I love those huge bags, I can get my briefcase inside the left one, and my tent and sleeping pad inside the right one.

I don't think I can do the same with the stock bags on the FJR. Which means I'd need the top case.

I know that Yamaha makes one and I know that Givi makes several.

Any recommendations on which is the best way to go?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have more room in the Givi and it will be cheaper.

With the Yammie, you can use your one key for the lock.

Seems the Givis tend to be a bit more popular.

You'll have more room in the Givi and it will be cheaper.
With the Yammie, you can use your one key for the lock.

Seems the Givis tend to be a bit more popular.
I'm trying to determine whether I can get the dealer to include the bag and bracket for the cost of the bike!

Givi is better price and apperance.

tripwest068.jpg

factory

Airshow044.jpg

givi

so, besides givi been somewhat bigger and slightly cheaper, is there any other advantages over tee Yama stuff?

No. I have the Yamaha case. I like it and think it looks better than the GIVI. The backrest pad is also enjoyed by my wife..

https://tinyurl.com/ygmpxx

The Givi (even if the paint panel matches) looks like a suitcase that was added as an afterthought , the Yamaha item looks like it was made for this particular bike...as it was.

KM

so, besides givi been somewhat bigger and slightly cheaper, is there any other advantages over tee Yama stuff?

No. I have the Yamaha case. I like it and think it looks better than the GIVI. The backrest pad is also enjoyed by my wife..

https://tinyurl.com/ygmpxx

The Givi (even if the paint panel matches) looks like a suitcase that was added as an afterthought , the Yamaha item looks like it was made for this particular bike...as it was.

KM
Thats why I posted both pics because we all have different likes and this way rhacer can see both ways.

My wife didnt like the backrest she said it pushed her forward up high on her back.

On the Givi I didnt get the backrest and the padding in her jacket works great.

I bought the Givi C46 & like the rounded (more aero) contours much better than the Yammie. After you install the Givi tubular frame you now have the abilty to use lots more ties & bungee cords to attach thinbgs like duffel bags, camping gear, you name it. BTDT. Oh, and my laptop fit fine in the C46 going out to WFO5.

No offense to the Yammie case owners but I don't think the styling of the Yammie case matches the FJR at all...

My only regret since the purchase a year ago is that I didn't buy the bigger '52 instead of the '46.

I have the Givi V46. It is pretty light when empty and that appeals to me. I leave it on all the time and keep the side cases in the garage unless I need the extra storage space. I don't know about the Yami top case, but the Givi is much lighter than a single side case.

Sounds like Givi is the requirement if a laptop case won't fit in the Yammie.

I'm a daily rider, only time I'm not on the bike is when there's Ice so I have to be able to easily carry my computer.

I think it comes down mostly to taste. I like my V46 and gag at the Yamaha box.

There is also the small matter of drilling for the Yama box and isn't there some complaint about the rack strength?

I like the Yami topcase but wonder if anyone has fitted a tie-down rack to it with any luck? Other aftermarket top box brands like GIVI have add-on racks for attaching light gear (like my tent), but I have not read of a similar option for the Yami. I know they worry about overloading a bike, but what the hey... I will keep all light stuff in top when touring. The sleeping bags/pads and whatnot. Any thoughts?

Whoa...big post #2.

rp

will an Apple PowerBook in a briefcase fit in the Yamaha top case?
Mine Mac book fit easily in a standard soft case (on my 2003). I now have a 2006 with the Givi v46 and fits just fine also. I have had both and can tell you that neither one fits 2 full face helmets. I do prefer the look of the givi and you can add lights to the back easily with Fred's kit although the stok givi has better reflectors on the back than the yammmie.

That's my 2 cents.

excellent thread guys - i will be shopping for a givi in the very near future but didn't know which model everyone was getting. thanks for the info!

If you decide on the Givi (which I recommend), do it this way. Much nicer than the standard Givi mounting system.

I like the Yami topcase but wonder if anyone has fitted a tie-down rack to it with any luck? Other aftermarket top box brands like GIVI have add-on racks for attaching light gear (like my tent), but I have not read of a similar option for the Yami. I know they worry about overloading a bike, but what the hey... I will keep all light stuff in top when touring. The sleeping bags/pads and whatnot. Any thoughts?

I have been thinking of making my own rack for the Yamabox, if I can't find one on the market that can be adapted. Most of these racks just bolt up from the bottom so in theory one might be able to mount one to almost anything of simular size.

All of these would require drilling some holes in the top of the case, so it should not matter much whose case it is.

Let you guys know if I find a good fit.

KM