Yamaha Top Case vs. Givi Top Case

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you decide on the Givi (which I recommend), do it this way. Much nicer than the standard Givi mounting system.

+1 to this. I opted for the Givi E52 top box. I had initial concerns that it might look too big. It doesn't. Not at all. Plus I could always imagine the possibility of wishing had more room as opposed to wishing I had less room. I have read of many people who bought the V46 top box wishing they had bought the E52, but I don't ever remember reading the opposite.

I have a V46 and am real happy with it. I am also now selling a tail/brake light LED kit for it as well.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/givibrakelites

medium.jpg

Many folks think the E52 will enable you to carry more, but in reality the limiting factor is not usually size, but weight. I would be real surprised if you could actually fill up a E52 without going way beyond the weight limits of the rack mount and bikes sub-frame, unless you maybe filled it with feathers. Even the V46 is easy to overload if you aren't careful. You really should remove the box and put it on a set of scales before you take off on a trip and make sure you don't have it overloaded. Try to only put light items in the trunk, and load the heavier stuff in the saddlebags where it will be lower and more forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't heard anyone mention the Pelican case which is used by some of the LD guys and some members here. This case is deffiently a well constructed, water and dust proof case. And the newer ones have wheels with stainless ballbearings and extenable handles for removal from the bike. I personally am torn as which to use. The other option still available is the Kuryakyn grandtraveler I ran accross. The Pelican is here, Pelican Case . And the Kuryakyn is here. Decessions decessions. PM. <>< :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned earlier, the top boxes do come down to taste and function, but just the design, IMO, they all look foreign to the bike. Like they don't really belong there. As of now, I will have to stay with soft luggage until something better comes along...PM. <>< :D
For once, I do agree with you. The top bag (any bag) on this sleek machine is odd looking. Of course, I haven't done much LD riding, so I may very well become wiser soon.

Anyway, most of the time side bags are out for me unless I MUST carry something.

FWIW: I still haven't figured out (why) how much "stuff" people put on the bike because it can be done (duh!) My god people, this a motorcycle, not a a home / boat! Keep it lean and mean, then ride it and enjoy :yahoo:

As mentioned earlier, the top boxes do come down to taste and function, but just the design, IMO, they all look foreign to the bike. Like they don't really belong there. As of now, I will have to stay with soft luggage until something better comes along...PM. <>< :D
For once, I do agree with you. The top bag (any bag) on this sleek machine is odd looking. Of course, I haven't done much LD riding, so I may very well become wiser soon.

Anyway, most of the time side bags are out for me unless I MUST carry something.

FWIW: I still haven't figured out (why) how much "stuff" people put on the bike because it can be done (duh!) My god people, this a motorcycle, not a a home / boat! Keep it lean and mean, then ride it and enjoy :yahoo:

But.................to me, and for many, the true joy of this machine is using it to travel to far off places. I carry the essentials for whatever I may encounter along the way. Nothing more. With that said, I still have required the use of both side bags and a large Courtech tailbag. I recently acquired the Givi E52 top box, so a woman may travel with me on my journeys.

It's funny, I kind of liken it to the cowboy of the old west who rode his horse across the land, carrying everything he needed (bed roll, canteen, rifle, cooking supplies and some grub) to travel from place to place. The FJR is my modern day horse.

Riding around locally is o.k., but for me, I just love packing the bike up and heading out, not knowing what I'll see or who I'll meet along the way. THAT is what truly nurtures my spirit and makes me glad to be alive.

Anytime I might have trouble sleeping at night because of some current stress I may be dealing with, I just think back to someplace special I was on my motorcycle and I always relax and go to sleep.

THIS is why I chose this bike. My 4Runner carries my body. My FJR carries my spirit and soul.

Mogambo, I find that the top bag is MOST useful for commuting. It's much faster in/out with things than the side bags. I use the side stand almost exclusively, which makes the left side bag difficult to manage. The right side bag requires getting off the horse on the wrong side, or walking around its ass to open the bag.

I would recommend to anyone that before you totally dismiss a top bag (for everyday commutes), try somebody's. The aerodynamics of the top bag are its biggest drawback, followed secondly by the effect on CG. So I tend to keep the top bag fairly empty on everyday rides, using it almost exclusively for my laptop, picking up groceries, take-out etc. For LD rides I pack it heavily until I reach the area of destination and then loose it if at all possible. Most of the time it stays in the hotel room in order to keep weight down and the CG low. But I DO miss it when it comes time to stow my helmet or grab the camera which must now be stowed in the side bag.

Wow, that was long! Sorry! Short version of above follows:

Contrary to popular beliefs of those who do not own a top bag, it is IMHO more useful for everyday commutes than for LD rides.

;)

I bought the Yamaha Top Case, bracket and backrest with the bike at the dealer cost, it was like $400 or something. Looks and works good. The things I like about the Givi are rack on the top and no holes to drill.

I have a V46 and am real happy with it. I am also now selling a tail/brake light LED kit for it as well.
https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/givibrakelites

medium.jpg

Many folks think the E52 will enable you to carry more, but in reality the limiting factor is not usually size, but weight. I would be real surprised if you could actually fill up a E52 without going way beyond the weight limits of the rack mount and bikes sub-frame, unless you maybe filled it with feathers. Even the V46 is easy to overload if you aren't careful. You really should remove the box and put it on a set of scales before you take off on a trip and make sure you don't have it overloaded. Try to only put light items in the trunk, and load the heavier stuff in the saddlebags where it will be lower and more forward.

FYI, I only have a couple of these lite kits left and am trying to decide whether or not to order more supplies and keep making them. If I do, I suspect I am going to have to raise the price, so if you want one, now would be the time to speak up.

I bought a Yamaha top box used for $400 but then changed my mind. I didn't want to put the holes into my fender. I was also not pleased with the interior space of the Yamaha box. It is doubled walled and very deceiving in the amount of space on the inside (not very much). I ended up purchasing the Givi maxia 52, the rack and a gel back-rest from Gary at Universal Motors out of Minnesota for about $400 brand new. I had the Givi gray rack powder coated to match my 2005 for about $30. The Givi is very sturdy and not really any bigger than the Yamaha. In fact, I don't think it is as tall as the Yamaha. I ended up not installing the back-rest. With the box installed, I held it in place and had my wife sit on the bike and she did not like the way it pushed her forward. The pad in her jacket was all she needed to be comfortable.

Haven't there been problems with the base of the Yamaha topbox cracking?

Yes, I have a 06 FJR. Got the Yamaha Top Box first thing. Two weeks ago I see that the base is broke around where it mounts to the base plate. Took it to the dealership where I bought it and they are sending it to Mother Yamaha. Dealership told me that there was no way that Yamaha would take responsibility for it but they would send it to them anyway. So never never never buy the Yamaha Top Box.

Cheers

I just received a call from my Yamaha dealer to let me know that Yamaha has replaced my broken top box. Honestly I did not think they would replace it and I would have to fight to the bitter end to get a new one. I have yet to pick it up or ask if Yamaha had strengthened the base plate but at least they replaced it. So thank you Yamaha for standing behind your product and doing what is right.

I will report back in a couple of months to let you all know how the new top box is holding up.

Cheers

Can anyone tell me how the stock Yamaha rack is installed on 2003-2005 models? Pictures ?

I'm looking into alternatives to the Givi rack. I used a Givi rack and it snapped off. I used it to install a small auxiliary tank and the total weight when full probably was no more than what some folks add with a well loaded Givi box.

If you want pic's of the ugliness of a broken Givi rack, have a look at mine. I'd never use one again. You can loose your box and never know it. And, mine isn't the only one to go south unexpectedly.

https://www.ldrider.ca/fjrstuff/index.htm

I know this is an old thread but I just added the OEM topbox, rack, and pad to my '06 (stole the entire shooting match of eBay for $475 B) )

I really like the kit but I was shocked at the effect it has on the bike's handling in high cross winds! Holy cow! I thought I was getting a flat tire or something.

We've had strong cross winds on here for a week. I've experimented on the same route with the box on and off and it really makes a difference in the way the bike tracks at speed when it's installed. I'll still use it but I take it off when not needed which wasn't the case on other bikes I've owned.

One thing I found as a pleasent surprise is that the OEM mounting rack for the '06+ topbox makes an outstanding luggage rack by itself. I continue to use my Cortech tail bag on that when I don't need the full storage of the topbox.

I know, no pics=no farkle, but I have the matte black E460 on my 03 mounted with the tubular Givi FJR specific rack. It matches nicely, both liquid silver. I just don’t trust the strength of the factory rack with the universal plate. Initially, it was purchased as a very expensive helmet lock and a backrest for SWMBO. I hated the look of it for the first few weeks, felt like it was slipping further from rocketship and closer to ‘Wing-ism’. The damn thing is so handy to have that recently I dropped the sidecases in the garage and use the topcase for small groceries and errands. I’m starting to like it.

I have no problem fitting 2 full face helmets in the case, they lay on the sides, bottom-to-bottom, visors facing forward. There’s even room for a thin towel under them and still shuts easily.

What is the weight capacity of the stock rack itself?

I can't seem to find it in the owners manual or elsewhere.

I have the OHFJR rack which attaches directly to the frame mounting bolts for the stock rack, but have no idea how much it should hold, with or without a box??

I know this is an old thread, but I'll try anyway.

I've had my '06 for 8 months now. Came with a Yamaha top-case. Today I discovered the case is cracking on the bottom next to and around the "locking lug". Obviously a potentially disastrous situation. I'm assuming it will be covered under warranty. But, if it failed in this area once, I'm assuming it will fail again. :angry:

LC