Yamaha Topcase (New?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, from the above instruction sheet I see they rate the new, stronger aluminum rack at 11 lbs max. What's the top box weigh empty?
rolleyes.gif

I'm going out on a limb here and thinking they meant net weight.....
smile.png

And I'm glad it does actually fit the old case for those folks. I wonder what they do to keep the new case off of the standard rack. Or do they?

(You still wouldn't want to put that on the plastic rack.....)

Last edited by a moderator:
It should as the plastic mount for the top box is the same for GEN2 and GEN3.
If the box fits that's one thing, but I was referring to actually bolting the new aluminum rack to the Gen II bike. Even if the Gen II top case fits, if the rack can't be bolted to the bike, it won't help.

Also, did anyone else notice that Mother Yammie said you can "only" use the saddlebags OR the top case, but not both? What's with that?

My thinking is that the front and rear seat from a GEN 2 will fit a GEN 3.

This would indicate the sub-frame under the rear seat has not changed.

The Gen 2 top box mount will fit a GEN 3.

So this would lead one to believe the mounting holes would be the same.

Conclusion GEN 3 mount should fit a GEN 2.

Another monkey wrench, would this work with the stiffy kit installed as well?

Please post detailed photo's of installation please.

Even if I do not purchase the bigger top box, I might still purchase the metal mount, the plastic mount has never really given me a warm fuzzy for holding up. Never had a problem with it, and I am sure it just my own crazy thoughts not based in reality. But I like metal over plastic. Especially on something that is exposed to the elements and temperature extremes over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the part # for the aluminum rack? Anyone have a link where it's available?
See post #4 for links to part #'s... and I think they are only availble in Europe so far... might have to get creative to acquire them.

https://yamabits.co.uk

I have bought Yamaha OEM accessories from the above site.

Takes a few of weeks to receive. Not like North America where you receive it a couple of days.

They take PayPal as payment and will do International orders, well at least to Canada.

It's a dealer in the UK, small island off the coast of France called Jersey.

I have asked them if they can post up the 50L Top case and carrier onto there website for cost and to place an order.

Currently it is not however; if more inquirer perhaps they will post it sooner.

The main Yamaha EU site it below if you are looking for other stuff.

https://yamaha-motor.eu

Whoa, it's $180. I have a stiffy kit already installed, and an SR357 waiting to be installed. I think I'll try to mimic what AuburnFJR or justroy did to their bikes. I d reached out to them to see if they have plans that they could share with me. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Good points. However, I'm not 100% certain it'll work on my Gen II. The trunk might mount up ok, but I'd hate to spend $180 to find the holes on the rack don't line up with my bike's subframe. If anyone wants to try it first, and it works, I think I might order one.

Latest posts