Yamaha Touring Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to buy a 2007 FJR. The bike is stock and I will need a touring trunk so that my wife and I can carry our belongings.

I've read that the Givi trunks sometimes become detached from the bike, so I'm thinking that I will spend the extra cash and get a genuine Yamaha trunk that's painted to match the bike.

Can someone tell me if the Yamaha trunk can hold two full-face helmets?
Well I can give you my experience with both. I have owned Givi trunks for years and have had them on several bikes with no problems ever. Then I put the Givi trunk mount system on my FJR brand new and bought a used Givi trunk and the trunk jumped off my bike twice. The last time I lost the trunk forever. So then I decided to try the Yamaha touring trunk. I bought a used one from one of the members here. It isn't the best use of space. But I like the idea of one key works on everything on the bike. It is color matched to the bike. I figured out how to make best use of the space.Seen here in this picture

1CAMPINGTRIP2010008.jpg

But then I noticed like some others here that the plastic trunk started to crack. So between my wife leaning against it and the weight of cargo in it was to much I guess. But because of the investment I had I bought some thin sheet metal and riveted it to the trunk to reinforce the cracked area and so far has held up great. I painted the metal flat black so it almost matches the black part of the trunk. So to solve are camping cargo problem we now just pull a tent camper behind us and can carry almost anything we want now. Seen here in picture

Hitchcamper006.jpg

Ournewcamper005.jpg

Matching key isn't a problem either. The Givi lock can be rekeyed by any competent locksmith, and even some do-it-yourselfers. The bike's key doesn't go all the way in, and it wiggles around, but it can turn the lock.

Poof! One key!

After the new rack and metal reinforcement plate that was provided by Yamaha during the recall, I think the Yamaha top case is solid. Being that it would be a safety issue to other drivers and that it is an official recall, I'm pretty sure Yamaha would fix the trunk at any point in the future if it started to crack. I wish it was about 10% bigger but I still like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Yamaha cases are not stupidly expensive if you care to shop.

I can verify there is a liquid silver case with the back rest in the classifieds for $150 shipped.

The Yamaha cases are not stupidly expensive if you care to shop.

I can verify there is a liquid silver case with the back rest in the classifieds for $150 shipped.
Doh! Sounds like I missed a good deal on a OEM trunk. I'll resume shopping...