Yamaha vs Givi Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a V46 and had nothing but problems with it. During the first ride, the top cover ripped off and that inturn broke the right reflector. Most of the time, the latch doesnt work and I need to pry the latch with the small flat headed screw driver to get the lid open.
For the amount I paid for it, i give the unit the finger. :yahoo:
Did you ever contact Givi about the problems. I have not dealt with them but I would think that they would want to fix the product.

Looking for hard sided trunk case. What are experiences between the two makers? Givi is less expensive - quality, design, capacity!!
I chose the Yamaha trunk so I would have key matched luggage... the build quality is good but from what I have seen the Givi may have less wasted space and looks good with the lower profile. I only use my trunk with a passenger so my cool factor is already dead at that point. you won't go wrong either way.

I find the original side cases to be small and inpractical. I can hardly fit a normal size laptop carrying case in. (I ride to work too.)
Despite the fact that they caused me to crash my previous bike (ok - speed was a factor too :dribble: ) I still opt for the combo of Givi wingrack, E41 Keyless side panniers and E52 Maxia top case. Just remember not to exceed 100 mph when riding alone on with all cases attached. What really cracked me up was that even the FJR manual says (yup I looked - I confess) that it is not recommended to have the original side cases and the top case in place at th same time. :lol:
I would like to see a photo of your bike with the e41's installed. I have a set from my last bike. Those cases are the shit. Wife things it will make the FJR look like ass. Maybe your pics will change her mind.

Scotty,

I don't have a personal experience with Givi, but I do have the Yamaha Top case. Just like Orangevale, it is working marvelous and did not leak(any of the three cases) during my recent ride through a 2 hour cloud burst. I am waiting for the Yamaha ReInforcement Kit and as of yet have no cracking or problems. I can fit a 14" Laptop in the top case.

As for the high speed weaving with all three cases, this was corrected by firming up my suspension settings. My last 1000 mile trip, even in the heavy rain, I experienced NO problems or weaving.

When looking for a trunk, my main goal was to have it swallow my laptop case. Side bags are to odd shaped to do that. Yamaha trunk is double wall construction, it looks big on the outside, but wash basin size on the inside. My laptop case didn't stand a chance fitting in there. The Givi V46 has no problem carrying it.

On a side note, E-mail Givi and ask for the part number for a color matched top. They should have it for all 3 colors. My lid is a perfect match for the '06 silver paint. The wrinkle finish black is just a plastic skin that can be replaced with a smooth color matched piece.

I just mounted a Givi E450-Simply-Monolock case to my newly acquired 05.

The Monolock is a less expensive series than the more commonly used Monokey, but weighs less, has a simpler latch mechanism, and the included (no additional cost for mounting hdwe.) mounting plate is smaller (looks better on the FJR, I think).

It mounted very nicely to the FJR rack, but may be a bit far forward for a passenger (haven't tried yet).

I've had this box for years, on my Concours, and it has held up very well and never leaked.

My only complaint is the tethers that keep the lid from opening too far gave up very early, but I just let it open all the way to the seat and then it doesn't blow closed on me. It will hold two full face helmets or my laptop case easily.

On a side note, E-mail Givi and ask for the part number for a color matched top. They should have it for all 3 colors. My lid is a perfect match for the '06 silver paint.
They have the color matched lids for all 3 now. I just recently recieved my Black Cherry lid for my 07 and the color match is good. Ohh, I have the V46, and I love it :)

Sound like this is becoming a "less filling, tastes great" discussion. It could be that my Yamie trunk is not quite as cool looking, but it did swallow helmet, coat and gloves. :assassin:

I just put on my Givi V46 a couple weeks ago and love it! It has a very solid CLICK when it locks down onto the mount. The mount is very well made and is an easy task to put on the bike.

I dont know why they put that yellow flip down panel in the top though. Theres no way you're going to squeeze the plastic nipple closed to open the panel by hand. Pliers needed for sure. I took the thing out because I thought it was useless.

But I can get my sleeping bag, a tent and small goodies on the side if need be, so thats a fair amount of room if you ask me!

Love it and would happily recommend it.

I have the 52L Givi and find it great

Lots of room - OK looks - and quite solid

I went with the flat black one so I can switch it from bike to bike and not have to worry what colour my bike is

It was also cheaper this way and alot cheaper than the Yamaha Box

Later

As a follow up to my previous post on this thread. I ended up buying the Givi E52 Monokey box, but I didn't go down the standard Givi installation path, because I didn't want to loose the Yam grab rails (which must be removed for the Givi mount).

I ended up using the FJR Sport Touring Rack from Premier Cycle Accessories, to mount my Givi Top Box. (https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Small_Sport_Touring_Rack_p/11500.htm).

The Premier FJR Racks has several advantages (there's two versions of it; large and small - I opt'ed for the small one):

1. It makes for a nice sized flat platform to bungy things down when the Top Box isn't being used.

2, It doesn't look too awful bad because its color blends in with the black sections of the side bags.

3. No holes need to be drilled for mounting for the '06's and '07's. It utilizes the existing Yam bolts.

4. It eliminates the need to buy Givi's SR357 Mount Rack.

5. No need to remove Yam's standard passenger hold rails.

6. It's designed to directly accept Givi's E250 Universal Mounting Plate which can work with Givi's V46, E460, or E52 Top Box.

7. Coupled with Givi's E250 Universal Mount, this Rack provides a solid mounting platform for the Givi Box(s).

(No, I don't work for either the Givi or Premier companies. :scout: )

The Givi E52 box is a few quarts larger than their popular V46, but I figure that equals more beer once you stop for the evening. Plus I figured, if I'm going to buy a box, why not get one that holds most everything (including two helmets)?

Yes, even my wife fits in my E52. And when I close it, I can't hear her bitchin'... :ranting2:

Ah.... Mission accomplished! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Damn,... she's looking over my shoulder as I type this! I'm screwed... :threaten:

SR-71

Last edited by a moderator:
I find the original side cases to be small and inpractical. I can hardly fit a normal size laptop carrying case in. (I ride to work too.) ...
I would like to see a photo of your bike with the e41's installed. I have a set from my last bike. Those cases are the shit. Wife things it will make the FJR look like ass. Maybe your pics will change her mind.
I only have pics from the previous (-03) bike since the current one will be fitted next spring.

Packing for summer tour of 2005

On board one day before the crash

It may not be pretty but the space is good.

Guys,

Do the SHAD or GIVI top cases allow for use of the ignition key? That is, can you use the one YAMAHA key that came with the bike, using the included lock or the third cylinder that came with the bike in the accessory bag?

-BD

Guys,
Does the SHAD top case allow for use of the ignition key? That is, can you use the one YAMAHA key that came with the bike, using the included lock or the third cylinder that came with the bike in the accessory bag?

-BD
Might be able to get it re-keyed? I didn't get the spare lock cylinder, so can't say if it could be used with the SHAD or not. So really I've got nothing, but the post count is going up by one. :)

I installed a Givi V46 last night with the Givi rack. I also have the brake light kit in the trunk and don't understand why some people have had problems with it. All the connections and the trunk itself are VERY solid. The brake light connections work even if I don't close the latch on the lid (just let it rest closed). Brake light works like a champ.

Also installed the cerulean silver matching cover. Again, I have no idea how people have reported that their color covers have come off. It's held on by 4 tabs and 5 (yes, five) screws. It's not going anywhere. If it does, you put it on wrong. The entire V46 will fall off the bike before that light cover comes off the trunk. :blink:

Latches work very well...no sticking, nice "pop" when you open or close the latch, and pop the trunk off the mounting plate.

Sharp case (with matching color cover). Not too hot on the looks of the Givi rack, but that damn this is on there...no doubt about that. :D

I mainly got it for commuting and I can fit my helmet, pants, jacket, and gloves in it with no problem. The document tray is usless, take it out. And yes, it does hold two helmets. Confirmed with my Nolan and Arai. Both XXL for my fatassed head.

The OEM trunk just looks too bulbous, in addition to costing way too much.

As a follow up to my previous post on this thread. I ended up buying the Givi E52 Monokey box, but I didn't go down the standard Givi installation path, because I didn't want to loose the Yam grab rails (which must be removed for the Givi mount).
I ended up using the FJR Sport Touring Rack from Premier Cycle Accessories, to mount my Givi Top Box. (https://www.premiercycleaccessories.com/Small_Sport_Touring_Rack_p/11500.htm).

The Premier FJR Racks has several advantages (there's two versions of it; large and small - I opt'ed for the small one):

1. It makes for a nice sized flat platform to bungy things down when the Top Box isn't being used.

2, It doesn't look too awful bad because its color blends in with the black sections of the side bags.

3. No holes need to be drilled for mounting for the '06's and '07's. It utilizes the existing Yam bolts.

4. It eliminates the need to buy Givi's SR357 Mount Rack.

5. No need to remove Yam's standard passenger hold rails.

6. It's designed to directly accept Givi's E250 Universal Mounting Plate which can work with Givi's V46, E460, or E52 Top Box.

7. Coupled with Givi's E250 Universal Mount, this Rack provides a solid mounting platform for the Givi Box(s).

(No, I don't work for either the Givi or Premier companies. :scout: )

The Givi E52 box is a few quarts larger than their popular V46, but I figure that equals more beer once you stop for the evening. Plus I figured, if I'm going to buy a box, why not get one that holds most everything (including two helmets)?

Yes, even my wife fits in my E52. And when I close it, I can't hear her bitchin'... :ranting2:

Ah.... Mission accomplished! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Damn,... she's looking over my shoulder as I type this! I'm screwed... :threaten:

SR-71
SR-71,

Do you have pics of yours mounted up? I am trying to decide, I already have bought the Premier small rack and backrest but am thinking of adding a trunk to my arsenal also. :unsure:

khrome

\

Do you have pics of yours mounted up? I am trying to decide, I already have bought the Premier small rack and backrest but am thinking of adding a trunk to my arsenal also. :unsure:

khrome

FYI the backrest cannot be used with any box ..just found that out today :dribble: :angry:

Cary

I recently added the Yamaha top case to my 07. You can definitely tell its there but like riding with a pillion, you just naturally adjust your riding. With all three cases loaded and speeds over 90, not to mention the truck traffic, it was easy to get used to.

One very interesting observation riding with the top case, I took my hands off the bars at about 30 mph in 3rd gear while approaching a stop sign. The front end started a rapid, small amplitude, wobble. This was on a residential side street and I was just opening the vents on my helmet. I didn't take my hands completely off the bars anymore but I could repeat the wobble anytime I let the engine decelerate me by just resting my hands lightly on the bars. Of course, I didn't try this experiment at speed, but it happened anywhere below about 50 mph. After removing the top case, the wobble went away.

I'll try some suspension adjustments and see if this helps. In any case, I only use the top case for traveling and am quite comfortable with it.

I have never had a trunk on the FJR but I did put one on my ST1300 and between it and a large windshield that sucker would move with the wind blast from the passing trucks on the highway. I will never do a trunk again, just a tail bag for me. But of course while I had it I loved it for travel.
I said the same thing. I hated the way my ST1300 handled with the Givi trunk. I had the Givi rack on the ST and didn't like how the trunk sat high and like it was hanging off the bike, behind the rear wheel.

After much debate for the FJR I decided on the Givi V46 using the SW Motech rack/mount. This setup looks the best to me on the FJR, keeping the trunk closer to the bike. The trunk and the black Givi adapter come off easy leaving just the small Motech rack. See my thread for more info/photos.

Most important is the FJR still handles very good, and I am considering leaving it on all the time its sooo handy.

Clicky

Steve