Yamaha vs Givi Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently added the Yamaha top case to my 07. You can definitely tell its there but like riding with a pillion, you just naturally adjust your riding. With all three cases loaded and speeds over 90, not to mention the truck traffic, it was easy to get used to.
One very interesting observation riding with the top case, I took my hands off the bars at about 30 mph in 3rd gear while approaching a stop sign. The front end started a rapid, small amplitude, wobble. This was on a residential side street and I was just opening the vents on my helmet. I didn't take my hands completely off the bars anymore but I could repeat the wobble anytime I let the engine decelerate me by just resting my hands lightly on the bars. Of course, I didn't try this experiment at speed, but it happened anywhere below about 50 mph. After removing the top case, the wobble went away.

I'll try some suspension adjustments and see if this helps. In any case, I only use the top case for traveling and am quite comfortable with it.

I've experience the same thing recently, but I did not connect it to the top case. I thought it was because my tires are starting to show some wear, but now that I think about it, it probably started when I put the top case on. The top case is so convenient that I haven't taken it off since I got it. The saddlebags, however, rarely go on the bike now. Plus my wife likes the security of having something behind her.

I will remove my top case and see if the wobble goes away, but even if it does, it will probably go back on because the wobble is not so troublesome. I just can't be "cool" and ride with no hands.

THANKS!

[SIZE=12pt]May I ask, did you change out the standard FJR RAck or did you install a new rack and mounting Plate?[/SIZE]

B.

JC Whitney Premium top case. Just under $100 delivered. Customer service was great. Over 7k with plenty of rain and win with no problems. Mounts to the Yamaha mounting plate with little modifications. Looks similar to the Givi 46. Blazed through parts of Nevada with no ill effects from the top case.