Yamaha's Mounting Kit for navigator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaj

Reaction score
Finally I got it installed, ordered it without knowing how it looks like, but ain't so bad...

yamaha-fjr1300-06-bikepics-584213.jpg

yamaha-fjr1300-06-bikepics-584214.jpg

yamaha-fjr1300-06-bikepics-584212.jpg

See the Classified Ads....I have a new one for sale there. This looks like the Quest 2...great unit...

Ron

Sorry in advance for the hijack, but it looks to me like the European bikes get nicer keys. I wonder if they bend as easily as the cheap ones we get in the US do.

I also notice a key emblem on the tach. I suspect there is some sort of anti-theft unit built into the ignition on the Euro models, is this true? Maybe that is why the key head is larger, if it has a transponder in it for the ignition system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry in advance for the hijack, but it looks to me like the European bikes get nicer keys. I wonder if they bend as easily as the cheap ones we get in the US do.
I also notice a key emblem on the tach. I suspect there is some sort of anti-theft unit built into the ignition on the Euro models, is this true? Maybe that is why the key head is larger, if it has a transponder in it for the ignition system.
Canadian models have antitheft immobilisers built in so the Euro ones likely do to. The key certainly looks the same. We have to get SOMETHING for the extra 4 grand we have to pay (and no bag liners either) for the bike up here in the frozen north.
Can't say whether the keys are better or not, mine haven't bent . . . They ARE transponder keys.

Canadian models have antitheft immobilisers built in so the Euro ones likely do to. The key certainly looks the same.
Continuing with the thread hi-jack...

I'd love to get the inside story as to why the US models don't have the anti-theft imobilizer. Given that they're pretty prevalent with cars over here, it can't be due to something like the american public not wanting them, and I have to believe that the extra buck or two (if that) isn't a real issue (I'm sure the marketing would be worth more than that).

The only thing I can think of is that some lawyer convinced them that there might be some liability if you sold an anti-theft device, and the bike was stolen. "You told me it had anti-theft, I'll sue you for lying to me" or something like that.

I'd love to get the inside story as to why the US models don't have the anti-theft imobilizer.
Ok, I'm not really supposed to talk about this. The folks that 'employ' me might get a little agitated :assassin:

The reason we don't get the anit-theft is that it works on the same frequency as the little spy cameras mounted at intersections. Yeah, I know they told you they were there to catch you running a red light, but that's not all they do. Yep, the pictures are then transmitted via a RadioHowie device to the circling black helicopters and beamed straight to the NSA for processing. :ph34r:

Word ;)

Please join me in mourning antvq. His MI-3 explosive-in-the-brain-thingy has just been activated. Unless we can get him to a power outlet within 4 minutes, he's done-for. If only the FJR had a bit more wattage to spare.

Great photos! I searched all over for the best way to mount a Quest on my FJR, and this Touratech solution is on the way (delivered today, if the UPS gods cooperate).

First, the FJR mount, which mounts to the bar studs:

01-040-0682-01.jpg

Then the Quest mount; I chose the locking one:

01-065-0090-01.jpg

What I liked about this mount was the support for the antenna, as well as the lock.

The GL1800 Gold Wing sold in Europe and Canada also have anti-theft ignition systems and alarms installed from the factory by Honda but the US models do not.

I wonder if there is some sort of law in some countries that require it on imported vehicles.

Please join me in mourning antvq. His MI-3 explosive-in-the-brain-thingy has just been activated. Unless we can get him to a power outlet within 4 minutes, he's done-for. If only the FJR had a bit more wattage to spare.
Shhhhhhhh....I think I hear them coming for me..... :bye2:

Now, how do I go about getting one of these? And who would be willing to discount it? Gary Murphy? MC (Livebait Larry) or similar want to replicate it??

Edit: Have spoken with Gary Murphy (Murph's) who aspires to be a supplier to the FJR community as he is for the Kawasaki Concours.

We are looking into getting hold of a sample bracket and replicating it for the North American '06 FJR riding community.