Yami Dealers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woohoo, take him him up on it Tony. I love it there.
Tom, I will be camping at Oakland Park on Bull Shoals in June(no bike) and at Norfork in August (06AE). Perhaps we could meet for a cold beer and you could point me to some decent riding areas around the lakes?

Thanks,

Glen
The offer is open to ANYONE on a bike (some sport riders hauled here once and the Harley guys won't let me forget it) - just check with me to ensure the cabin is available for the dates you want it!

It's much harder for me to point out the straight roads - there is only one 5 north between Gainesville and Mansfield. In all other directions it's up and down, left and right.

Look me up. I'd love to hook up for a beer or a ride and I also have, and been known to play with, water toys :D - a good source for mototcycling in the area is:

https://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/AR-Gap/

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I understand the "special order" of some high-end cars and especially large trucks, considering their specialized duties in the field. But, I really don't put the FJR in this category. It is a sport-touring bike. They have 2 models. It would be nice to walk into dealerships and see these bikes. If there were some extremely modified versions...this I could see the special order.The whole pre-order thing requires a lot of planning and prior knowledge on the part of the customer. Heck, when it was time to order, I didn't even know the bike existed!

Again, I understand why the FJR was started in the US this way. I just think it will be detrimental to Yami in the long run to continue this system once the bike has proven it is a desirable comodity.

What about the customer that only discovers the virtues of this bike after orders have closed? I guess he/she will have to buy a Honda.
When I was buying my fjr there were no honda counterparts around either, sold out...

Me I still perfer ordering and it is mine :D

Honda did have plenty of scooters around so you could see what the Honda would look like ;)

Motorciclin' is just a funny business, I guess. There are a lot of things that would be nice, but perhaps not real feasible. If I could look into my crystal ball and accurately predict what would and would not sell, I guess Yami and the rest would be knocking on my door with checks in hand.

It all ultimately comes down to this:

I GOT ME ONE!

Tony,
Any word from Yamaha on USA FJR accessories yet [listings and pricing]?

Thanks in advance.

rublenoon
The only accessory known at this point is the heated grips. The travel trunks are available, but no mount kits.

I have found the source for the heated grips that Yamaha is using and I have a set on the way to make sure it is exactly the same. If it is I should be able to sell them for about $65-$70 with all neccessary wiring for a plug-n-play setup! :D

I will let everyone know as soon as these arrive.

Tony

Tony, I have a question for you. Why doesn't Yamaha allow the many FJR accessories sold in Europe to be available here?

I am talking tank bags, sliders, GPS. All kinds of goodies.

Why don't we (North America) get access to that stuff? Any ideas/thoughts/opinions?

Tony, I have a question for you. Why doesn't Yamaha allow the many FJR accessories sold in Europe to be available here?

Why don't we (North America) get access to that stuff? Any ideas/thoughts/opinions?
One word, skooter: Liability.

Skooter,

I have asked that same question and I am told that those items are not available to the U.S. market from the European distributor. The U.S. has to wait until last to get the tour trunk and mount kit and the same goes for the FZ1 accessories. Most of these items are made in Germany and the Netherlands and production may be an issue. These items are made by independent vendors much like the Star accessories that are made here in the U.S. by local vendors.

The European face the same dilema as us wanting those items and they can't have them due to production capabilities of the American vendors. I sell a lot of Star accessories to dealers in the EU that are not available here and I'm sure I could get some of the EU items sent here if there is a demand for it.

Best regards,

Tony Orihuela

OK, here is the next question to Tony or anyone who may know:
Are the VIN numbers tied to individual claim numbers and buyer names? For example, if an FJR comes into a dealer, and a claim number holder is not ready to take delivery, can another claim number owner at that dealership take that bike?

The reason why I ask this, is that my dealer ordered two FJR's (one A, one AE) under the owner. The owner is actually going to take the AE. That order was done Sept 28th. I placed an order in November for an A. The dealer promised that I would get the first A that came in. If the VIN is tied to a claim number and that name, then they lose the $500. The dealer says VIN tying was the way it was in the early days, but not now.

Any ideas?
Bender,

The VIN is no longer tied to a particular order. There is a list of customers and when the bike is sold we simply put the serial number in the field next to the customer name that received that particular VIN. I bet when these things were tied to a particular customer there were problems of epic proportions! :D

Best regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
Are you saying the dealer does not get the VIN until they recieve the bike? Doesn't that make it difficult for managing a trade-in? Say a buyer wants to trade a used ride against a new FJR. How can the dealer sell the used bike without the paperwork finalized for the new bike? This deal could be struck 6 months or more ahead of delivery. Even worse what if there is negative equity on the used bike and a lean balance that will move to the new contract? It would be difficult to give guantees to the buyer to release their old bike before the FJR comes in. Just sounds way more complicated to handle than a traditional sale.

Bobby

That's news to me - where did you pick that up from?

France has a horsepower limit for bikes - 105 or 108 hp, IIRC. They put an air restrictor in the air box that cuts the power (similar to what NASCAR's restrictor plate does). When Yamaha decided to make the '06 a world bike v. market specific versions (one just for the States, one for Europe, one for France, etc), they decided to go with the lowest common denominator, the French model, to help contain costs and simplify the manufacturing, marketing and distributing of the bikes. FJR gets this treatment first, then it'll trickle down into the rest of the line.
Thanks TWN. Good info!

I probably shouldn't be writing this but a close friend of mine is a technician employed for a major Euro bike mag - that will remain nameless. He knows I have a FJR on order and emailed me with a couple of interesting tidbits. Yamaha's press release for the FJR is in South Africa and the journalists will get there hands on them starting Friday. The bikes are already there and part of his responsibility is to ensure both A and AE versions have been properly allocated as pre-arranged. They brought an '05 FJR for comparison. Yamaha agreed to allow them to do a weight comparison because apparently the documentation and development groups had a major miscomunication on the weight specs. Not the first time this year as evidenced by the RPM mistake on the R6. Anyways after hitting the scales it turns out with both bikes fully fueled the '05 FJR ABS weighs in 12.25 kgs heavier than the '06 FJR ABS.

Not enough to make up for that missing 40 hp though.

Bobby

TWN, that France HP test was later corrected. Turns-out they had a pre-production model with a loosely fitted turbonator. Yamaha fixed the problem and it was then retested at 153HP! :D

Tony, I'm sure you could get a group buy here for the 06 Euro Sliders! We could all order them from you ASAP to have in hand or ship to dealer for install when picking up the bike. PLEASE :D

Are the VIN numbers tied to individual claim numbers and buyer names? For example, if an FJR comes into a dealer, and a claim number holder is not ready to take delivery, can another claim number owner at that dealership take that bike?

The reason why I ask this, is that my dealer ordered two FJR's (one A, one AE) under the owner. The owner is actually going to take the AE. That order was done Sept 28th. I placed an order in November for an A. The dealer promised that I would get the first A that came in. If the VIN is tied to a claim number and that name, then they lose the $500. The dealer says VIN tying was the way it was in the early days, but not now.

Any ideas?
Bender,

The VIN is no longer tied to a particular order. There is a list of customers and when the bike is sold we simply put the serial number in the field next to the customer name that received that particular VIN. I bet when these things were tied to a particular customer there were problems of epic proportions! :D

Best regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
Are you saying the dealer does not get the VIN until they recieve the bike? Doesn't that make it difficult for managing a trade-in? Say a buyer wants to trade a used ride against a new FJR. How can the dealer sell the used bike without the paperwork finalized for the new bike? This deal could be struck 6 months or more ahead of delivery. Even worse what if there is negative equity on the used bike and a lean balance that will move to the new contract? It would be difficult to give guantees to the buyer to release their old bike before the FJR comes in. Just sounds way more complicated to handle than a traditional sale.

Bobby
Bobby,

We have no VIN until the bike is invoiced. I wouldn't think Yamaha would have this either. They would have a manifest of the numbers in a container, but until they are unloaded at port and the numbers verified it would not be feasible to give these to a dealer.

As far as trades go.....you would have to arrive at a price based upon the condition at the time the bike is appraised with an understanding that if the condition of the bike changes then so will the trade allowance. You could go ahead and trade and release the bike including any negative equity and start a deal with a dealer with the understanding that if the bike sells and then you can't follow through with your end you are owed the trade allowance and if there is negative trade equity then you would owe that difference if the bike has been paid off by the dealer.

Confused yet? It's easy to get that way! :blink:

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

Any ideas?
Bender,

Best regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter

Bobby
Bobby,

We have no VIN until the bike is invoiced. I wouldn't think Yamaha would have this either. They would have a manifest of the numbers in a container, but until they are unloaded at port and the numbers verified it would not be feasible to give these to a dealer.

As far as trades go.....you would have to arrive at a price based upon the condition at the time the bike is appraised with an understanding that if the condition of the bike changes then so will the trade allowance. You could go ahead and trade and release the bike including any negative equity and start a deal with a dealer with the understanding that if the bike sells and then you can't follow through with your end you are owed the trade allowance and if there is negative trade equity then you would owe that difference if the bike has been paid off by the dealer.

Confused yet? It's easy to get that way! :blink:

Regards,

Tony Orihuela

Yamaha Sportscenter
When I was interested in the fjr I owed a year on my 1100 Vstar and had just bought an 05 Raptor 350 and needed to trade them both to afford the fjr.

I told the Sales manager that was my situation and she said she would work it out.

When the fjr arrived they gave me enough for the vstar to pay it off and make up for the thousands I lost on the raptor because I had just bought it.

I could have done better selling it personal but I didn't.

Ok people, I am not really going to get some French detuned motor am I? Your teasing right? Rember, I am just a (F) *&%$#@ (NG) newbie. If it was real I'll cancel the AE and buy a Roadliner instead! Have a heart with the new guy.

Ok people, I am not really going to get some French detuned motor am I? Your teasing right? Rember, I am just a (F) *&%$#@ (NG) newbie. If it was real I'll cancel the AE and buy a Roadliner instead! Have a heart with the new guy.
Air restricters can be removed :D :haha:

They couldn't beat the heat so they just reduced the hp

You will get a U.S. spec motor trust me!

Thanks Tony,

Look guys, now I have to trust the dealer over the other forum members!

Tony, I would have ordered from you myself but I am a firm beliver in not shopping the local dealerships and then buying 500 miles away. I hate it when my (RV) customers do that to our dealership then demand we service the unit under warranty. Nine times out ten you can't please them so they run all over the states badmouthing us. My own customers I rarley have a problem with. I have 3 Yamaha dealers in a 50 mile radius. The one I ordered from had bought an RV from us about 4 years ago. I paid more than alot of you did, $13,800 for the AE but hey, scratch my back and I'll scratch yours. We made some money and he got a discout...same as I recived, everybody is happy that way.