YCCS SH__16 error

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shroffman

Reaction score
Hi

I have this reoccuring problem on my 2008 Gen II AE. after riding for about one hour the shift light comes on and the error SH__16 is shown on the screen, gear changes are inoperable and the bike has a slight loss of power, the engine still runs but I am stuck in one gear (usually 4th gear).

If I switch the engine off and one again, the error goes away but may come back later in the ride

Any AE owners ever had this issue?

Thanks

If no one replies back in the meanwhile I can look the shift error code in the manual once I am back home tonight. I don't think I had that particular shift error code before.

Hi
I have this reoccuring problem on my 2008 Gen II AE. after riding for about one hour the shift light comes on and the error SH__16 is shown on the screen, gear changes are inoperable and the bike has a slight loss of power, the engine still runs but I am stuck in one gear (usually 4th gear).

If I switch the engine off and one again, the error goes away but may come back later in the ride

Any AE owners ever had this issue?

Thanks

Try typing shift error code 16 site:fjrforum.com into the search bar on Google. There should be something there to get you going.

the manual says:

Malfunction of clutch or shift actuator motor drive circuit in MCU (motor control unit)

Also

Probable cause:

1. Connections

• Wire harness MCU coupler
  • Clutch actuator coupler
  • Shift actuator coupler

2. Open or short circuit in wire harness.

3. Malfunction in MCU.

So, check all wiring and connectors that might have something to do with the MCU.

my dealer replaced the MCU but yesterday when I was out on a ride, the error returned albeit only once. But anyway problem still exists, luckily dealer said I did not have to pay for the new MCU if it did not resolve the issue. Could you tell me where you found a used shift motor? Thanks

Had similar problem and ended up replacing the shift motor.
See link below

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/152445-shift-code-16-resolved/

See link below

Is it what is known as the Shift Actuator? as shown in the following schematic diagram (No.44).Thanks

https://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2008/FJR1300AE+(DARK+GRAYISH+METALLIC+G)+-+FJR13AEXS/SHIFT+SHAFT/parts.html

my dealer replaced the MCU but yesterday when I was out on a ride, the error returned albeit only once. But anyway problem still exists, luckily dealer said I did not have to pay for the new MCU if it did not resolve the issue. Could you tell me where you found a used shift motor? Thanks

See link below

See link below

Based on your profile you have a 2009 FJR1300AE not a 2008. The correct part no. for a 2009 AE is 2D2-82450-30-00 and is called Shift Actuator Assy. Each year of the AE has a different part number so don't know if the actuators are interchangeable. I found a used one on E-Bay which was the same year as my 2006 AE for about $500 verses a discounted web price of approximately $1300.

Hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the invaluable advice, I'll look into it.

Based on your profile you have a 2009 FJR1300AE not a 2008. The correct part no. for a 2009 AE is 2D2-82450-30-00 and is called Shift Actuator Assy. Each year of the AE has a different part number so don't know if the actuators are interchangeable. I found a used one on E-Bay which was the same year as my 2006 AE for about $500 verses a discounted web price of approximately $1300.
Hope that helps

One last thing, could I ask where you found the non Ebay price for the actuator? Thanks

Thanks for the invaluable advice, I'll look into it.

Hope that helps

One last thing, could I ask where you found the non Ebay price for the actuator? Thanks
Don't know what your shipping options are being overseas, but one source for Yamaha parts is Boats.net. If you Google the Yamaha part number listed above, multiple sources show up. I've used both Boats and Cycle Parts Warehouse with good results.

Good luck with the repair!

--G

What escapefjrtist said. The prices of oem parts on the various web sites change on a monthly basis so put in the part number and check the various sites that come up for the lowest price to get the best deal.

Just curious as to why you are sourcing the parts from places in the states, as your profile states you live in Japan. When I was checking the sources of the Shift Actuators Assy for my 2006 AE they only found one in California. If it wasn't for that one they would have to source it from Japan. I got lucky and found a used one on E-Bay for 1/3 the price.

Thanks for the info guys, the reason why I check websites from the US is that because the FJR in Japan is still considered an 'overseas' model and so parts are most of the time cheaper outside of Japan. I know it sounds weird but thats the way it is.

My bike is finally fixed after spending 5 months on and off, at the dealer garage, they initially replaced the shift actuator, and the MCU, both of which did not fix the problem. They finally had to send my bike to Yamaha HQ, and they found the problem to be related to the clutch actuator, which they replaced and all is good now.

It was found that when the bike got even slightly hot, this part malfunctioned.

The bike shop did not charge for the replacement shift actuator, and MCU parts, as they did not fix the problem, so original parts were swapped back. They did not even charge for the clutch actuator replacement! All I had to pay was small fee which covered the cost of them sending the bike to Yamaha factory.

Thanks for the update, an unusual failure.

You were lucky they were able to ship the bike to the factory, that wouldn't have been an option in Europe or the Americas!

Also, good that Yamaha paid for the parts even though you were out of warranty.