Yet another HID experiment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think the ignitor is in the little black box that can be seen on the black wire.

jason

Just installed my set of HID's and could not be happier!

The light pattern has to be seen to be appreciated.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

looks like my purchase from "hidking" on ebay has fallen through. they tell me (after i had already paid) that they will

not accept payment via paypal from oversas !!! so they refunded my money, and i paid via bidpay. bidpay declined the transaction.

so now i have to find another seller.

can someome please point me at a set that are the same as the ones that bmwhd bought ?

im having trouble finding any that are the same. most of the sets on ebay right now look very different.

most have no shielding on the globe. im sure the light pattern would suck without the shield ?

please help.

jason

looks like my purchase from "hidking" on ebay has fallen through. they tell me (after i had already paid) that they willnot accept payment via paypal from oversas !!! so they refunded my money, and i paid via bidpay. bidpay declined the transaction.

can someome please point me at a set that are the same as the ones that bmwhd bought ?

im having trouble finding any that are the same. most of the sets on ebay right now look very different.

most have no shielding on the globe. im sure the light pattern would suck without the shield ?

please help.

jason
Sorry to hear this...

I am holding my breath waiting on my shipment to arrive.

I will let you know just as soon as these come in if they are good.

Here's the link to the ones i bought.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4726&rd=1,1

I happen to have the contact info for the distributor in Hong Kong for the kit that bmwhd and I (and others now) have installed. PM me if you run out of options (you may need to speak or write Cantonese, though!)

looks like my purchase from "hidking" on ebay has fallen through. they tell me (after i had already paid) that they willnot accept payment via paypal from oversas !!! so they refunded my money, and i paid via bidpay. bidpay declined the transaction.

please help.

jason
Sorry to hear this...

I am holding my breath waiting on my shipment to arrive.

I will let you know just as soon as these come in if they are good.

Here's the link to the ones i bought.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4726&rd=1,1

@ngarider

that would be great.

i have some people at work that can help as far as the language barrier goes....

jason

Just a quick update on the lights i got...

These babies are super! Smitty installed them last night and i could not believe the difference over halogen bulbs! :clapping:

Here is the ebay link to the exact ones i bought... The only downside is that it took 2 weeks to arrive and it shipped from Shanghi China, And the communicaon sucked... But it worked out perfectly!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=220097824726

Just a quick update on the lights i got...
These babies are super! Smitty installed them last night and i could not believe the difference over halogen bulbs! :clapping:

Here is the ebay link to the exact ones i bought... The only downside is that it took 2 weeks to arrive and it shipped from Shanghi China, And the communicaon sucked... But it worked out perfectly!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=220097824726
Adam, glad Smitty got you together in time or WOOFOO! Hopefully, will all that extra light you'll be able to see and BE SEEN! The smoke is so thick here in Montana that it's like fog at sunset. Weird. Wonder how much light we'll need to see in UTAH????

See you in a couple days, brudda!

2 things wrong:
1) The wires coming don't seem to be anything like what the other ballasts have

2) $100 bills? What is this, pimp my HID?

The bigger ballasts do fit, you just have to work at it.

also just found these...
super slim small ballasts. these might be just the ticket for those of us that are spacially

challenged...

ebay item # 320135476813

jason
miniballast2sc5.jpg

I sent an e-mail to HIDking and he replied that I should call them and ask for peter. I mentioned that I didn't see a picture of the actual connection, and was concerned that mine might not fit. He asked me to send him a photo of mine, and then assured me that it would fit. So, they are in the mail, and hopefully I'll have them installed early this week. If the new ones work, I'd probably be convinced to let my fat ballasts go for a reasonable price, if anyone needs a spare.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam, glad Smitty got you together in time or WOOFOO!
Adam, since you have "the hot setup", attendance at the illumination rodeo & shootout will be mandatory....
Sweet!

These are really fantastic! They are 4500k and the color is a beautiful white. And INTENSE! I think you will be making the switch after seeing these work... :)

Can't wait to see if these slim ballasts will work. I'm buying if they do. Pics please when possible.

I found a supplier that lives in USA and has no language barrier issues. He offers an H4 kit for $205 with a one-year warranty or $255 with a lifetime warranty. If interested, PM for contact info.

I was very impressed with the performance of the new kits at the WFO illumination shootout. Perhaps somebody will be along with some photos, as there were some taken.

If I wasn't already a thousand bucks in on my own setup, I'd get the new kit and put it in. As it is, I'll have to wait for my old one to crap out before I upgrade. Having the Solteks installed, I won't exactly be wanting for more light in the meantime....

I'd like to order a set of these. Is this the correct setup (EBAY)

The bulb size is just H4, correct? Not H4-3?

Are the directions pretty good, so say someone who doesnt know anything about lights, fairings, or electricity can do the install?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to order a set of these. Is this the correct setup (EBAY)
The bulb size is just H4, correct? Not H4-3?
Correct. This is the exact ebay ad that i ordered mine from. Make sure you include H4 High/low telescopic 4300k in the paypal when ordering, because if you dont, He will send you an email requesting it, And his english is rough. Also plan on 2 weeks for delivery from Shanghi China!

These are the shiznit yo. :lol:

Adam, glad Smitty got you together in time or WOOFOO!
Adam, since you have "the hot setup", attendance at the illumination rodeo & shootout will be mandatory....
Sweet!

These are really fantastic! They are 4500k and the color is a beautiful white. And INTENSE! I think you will be making the switch after seeing these work... :)
Don't fall in love with the color cause like all Metal Halide lamps, these will drift......you'll wind up with one definately much bluer than the other. It's just the nature of the beast.

Jim

I found a supplier that lives in USA and has no language barrier issues. He offers an H4 kit for $205 with a one-year warranty or $255 with a lifetime warranty. If interested, PM for contact info.
I was very impressed with the performance of the new kits at the WFO illumination shootout. Perhaps somebody will be along with some photos, as there were some taken.

If I wasn't already a thousand bucks in on my own setup, I'd get the new kit and put it in. As it is, I'll have to wait for my old one to crap out before I upgrade. Having the Solteks installed, I won't exactly be wanting for more light in the meantime....
Did anyone take pictures of this? I had planned to particiapate before the heart stent got in the way of the trip. These "telescoping" HID should have done pretty well......especially considering the cost!

Jim

Latest posts